Just got a new DAC (HRT MusicStreamer II), and noticing pops in the audio.
Oct 14, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
Sorry to bring this back from the dead.
Thought I would share my experience.
I have experienced the same problem as the OP and believe I have fixed my problem.

I got random crackling, popping and sometimes the music would freeze altogether in foobar.
Also got random instances where music would turn into crazy loud static noise... my poor ears.
Funny thing was, it didn't happen when I use other software such as VLC, WMP, etc.
So the unit wasn't a dud, it was probably just foobar.

Firstly, I followed the setup PDF from the HRT website.
Tried a variety of USB cables I had lying around, didn't fix anything.
Plugged it into a power USB hub, as well as straight into the laptop, no difference.
Had a feelign none of this would help... it was one of the settings in foobar.

The one thing that seemed to solve it was... going to Preferences > Playback > Output in foobar.
I made the Buffer Length 50 ms, all problems disappeared.

Hoping I get no more random static noise while listening... (fingers crossed)

What was the buffer length before you set it to 50ms?

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #33 of 40
Odd, I've had some minor problems but nothing serious. I'm guessing it's just the USB and you laptop sucks if you're having problems. I had to switch to a different port b/c one of mine has issues. After that it was smooth sailing. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #35 of 40

Quote:
I've got everything running through iTunes:  music, apps, etc.  It'd be a bear to transfer everything over.  Not sure what you mean by buffer:).  It sounds like clicks and pops coming through my headphones, a problem I didn't have with my uDAC.  How do you raise the buffer?

Maybe try and get a USB hub. I had this issue with my DACport LX. Well it was more of a regular problem. Music would cut out completely for a second. I do get a pop once in a while even now but nothing like before. Seems like my USB ports weren't giving enough power to my LX as it has a Class A amp inside.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #36 of 40
For some reasons, HRT MS2 only plays comfortable music at 16 bit, 32000 Hz settings. At higher level it starts to make horrible noises, music hangs and lags. It even has lags at this rate, which is totally not acceptable. 
My setup is HP DV5z (Win7)>HRT MS2>Little Dot MK III>Sennheiser HD650. Any advice?

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #37 of 40
You could try using a powered usb hub or try other usb jacks on your PC, as certain usb jacks don't provide the MSII with enough voltage.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #39 of 40

Quote:
For some reasons, HRT MS2 only plays comfortable music at 16 bit, 32000 Hz settings. At higher level it starts to make horrible noises, music hangs and lags. It even has lags at this rate, which is totally not acceptable. 
My setup is HP DV5z (Win7)>HRT MS2>Little Dot MK III>Sennheiser HD650. Any advice?

If reading the three pages of this thread does not help, then contact HRT at www.hirestech.com as they have excellent tech support.

Actually, you also need to follow the installation documentation on that site, for starters...

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #40 of 40
I had this problem. The fix for me was to drop the buffer to 50ms in Foobar - other players allow you to put it lower, and are better suited for the DAC as a result, as around 20ms is the sweetspot for WASAPI's buffer, but Foobar works too, though it might require you to "lessen the load" and end some nonessential tasks or unplug those nonessential devices unless using a powered hub.

This was after updating the firmware to the latest version, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back