Just got a disturbing phone call
Dec 22, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
I just got a disturbing phone call from one of my customers. She is very spiritual and told me that one of her friends who is a psychic predicted a big earthquake for Los Angeles between the 22nd - 27th of this month, particularly on the 25th - Xmas. She said this person had predicted the Northridge quake of '94, as well as the big one that hit Mexico City. I'm not one to really put too much faith in the paranormal, but I have had psychic/empathic premonitions myself that have come to pass.  So here's to hoping it does not happen -- especially for those of us in Los Angeles -- and wishing everyone a very safe and happy holidays.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 17

Those of us that do pray have your state in mind, its going through a lot with the weather already.  

In the even of an earthquake however, just remember to throw yourself upon the gear.  Your body is replaceable, your gear is not!

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:

Those of us that do pray have your state in mind, its going through a lot with the weather already.  

In the even of an earthquake however, just remember to throw yourself upon the gear.  Your body is replaceable, your gear is not!

Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers.

I won't be home on Xmas eve or Xmas for most of the day, or when I'm at work, but if it happens when I'm at home I surely will.  Although I do have a good audio rack with spikes that is pretty well embedded into my carpet.  I've shook it hard before to test it for earthquake-proofness so I don't think it will go anywhere.  And all of my gear is quite heavy so it would take something major to throw them around.  I'd be more worried about my television even though it isn't worth a fraction of what my audio system is.

And my gear is more replaceable than a human body. :wink:

Quote:
Better contact USGS.

Somehow I doubt they would care about a prediction, as I'm sure they get millions of those each day.  I haven't felt anything myself, but I did 5 days before the big Northridge one, as well as premonitions of friends and family getting into car accidents.  But my mind has been pretty occupied lately.  I had two wisdom teeth pulled the Friday before last that turned into dry sockets, and was experiencing the most excruciating pain I've ever felt (about 100 times worse than when I sawed my finger in half, lengthwise).  It's gotten 90% better, but it's still sore.

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 17
Actually, the 25th would be one of the better days for an earthquake. Almost all businesses will be closed and most will be at home. Wood-framed houses do pretty well in earthquakes. The buildings to worry about are the unreinforced masonry ones, but those are mostly businesses and will be empty. Also, most people will be stocked up on food for the holidays.

Not that I want an earthquake to happen. But they do. If it happens, it happens.

Also, geez, Phil. Sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth. I hope you're feeling better and take care of yourself!

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Actually, the 25th would be one of the better days for an earthquake. Almost all businesses will be closed and most will be at home. Wood-framed houses do pretty well in earthquakes. The buildings to worry about are the unreinforced masonry ones, but those are mostly businesses and will be empty. Also, most people will be stocked up on food for the holidays.

Not that I want an earthquake to happen. But they do. If it happens, it happens.

Also, geez, Phil. Sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth. I hope you're feeling better and take care of yourself!

You're right about the benefits of it being on Christmas, I didn't consider that.  But that was the reason that only 40 or so people died in the Northridge quake, and not tens of thousands --- because it happened at 4 in the morning when everyone was at home, except for that unfortunate cop who drove like Superman off a broken overpass.

Thanks for the well wishes buddy, and I hope you have a wonderful holidays in Arizona with your friends and any family you have out there.  We missed you at the last meet.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 17
So some crazy, delusional woman is telling all of her friends that an earthquake is approaching... and you're giving it serious consideration?  and then others here are praying for the safety of LA based on this? 

yall need to lay off the eggnog

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:

Only two days to go and another psychic will bite the dust.

That's the real problem. These charlatans get to make bold, sensationalist predictions, and then just slip under the radar when their moronic & vague forecasts don't come to pass. However, every so often when their guesses DO come within a mile of hitting a mark (at no better an aggregate success rate than statistics dictate), they are hailed with fame and a sense of awe. The media has memory only for the sensational, not trivial (and frequent) failure. Were that I was allowed such an egregious failure rate at my own job - I'd never have to worry for my own future! 

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 17
i predicted the following will happen sometimes january 2011:
1. wooaudio going to give 80% discount all items
2. stax will have clearance. O2 sells for $200, T2 will be launched at $300
3. jhaudio will have 233 drivers custom and selling it for $330
4. headamp will have a special edition GS-X for $220 and BHSE for $800......and oh yeah, lead time of 5 days for delivery
5. HD900 will be launched, Buy 1 get 5.

Want some more???

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 17
Probably shouldn't be laughing at that woman. I mean some people really believe in these things. Went to camp once and there was a young man with books on palm-reading and a "crystal ball", which is a glass jar filled with blurry water.
That said. I got a solid feeling about that future Schiit Ragnarok, a hybrid amp for $200. Also maybe a Zana Trois.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 17
IDK...i already believe in audio black magic and all that other shizz....doesn't hurt to believe in another...am i right brothers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back