Just dont understand. How can they believe an Ethernet cable can improve sound?
Jan 21, 2023 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 205

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
It getting to the point I cant take it. Its getting pretty ridiculous. There is a thread about ethernet cables and the improvement they are all noticing in the sound quality. I just cant understand the mass delusions they are all having and lack of understanding how these things work.

Jan 21, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 205
It getting to the point I cant take it. Its getting pretty ridiculous. There is a thread about ethernet cables and the improvement they are all noticing in the sound quality. I just cant understand the mass delusions they are all having and lack of understanding how these things work.
Join the club.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 205
I’ve made a few attempts to discuss how 802/Ethernet actually functions in that thread. That goes as well as you might imagine with the thread regulars, then the posts are deleted by the mods.

It’s been made clear that discussion of the actual operational model of Ethernet is not permitted. Or said more bluntly, the interests of vendors will take priority over the interests of consumers.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 205
I’ve made a few attempts to discuss how 802/Ethernet actually functions in that thread. That goes as well as you might imagine with the thread regulars, then the posts are deleted by the mods.

It’s been made clear that discussion of the actual operational model of Ethernet is not permitted. Or said more bluntly, the interests of vendors will take priority over the interests of consumers.
It just amazes me where information is far more important and vital and far more data is transferred , standard cables are used yet these people think they are special and magically hear a difference in their homes when no sound is even being transmitted through these cables.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 205

I also made a few attempts, and was banned from the forum for awhile, and had my posts subject to moderator approval for awhile after that. Most recently, I had some posts deleted by a moderator.

What really got me though was when I suggested that people do a blind listening test to determine if they could hear the difference, and some objected that measurements were not sufficient and only subjective tests were reliable. How can it be that a blind listening test is a measurement and not a listening test? A moderator deleted my post about that.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 205
The talk about Ethernet cables doesn't bother me that much, because one can buy shielded ethernet cables for a few dollars more. It's when they start talking about $3K+ audiophile switches that I have a concern about.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 205
Don't even go there!!

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 205
A lot of the critical thinking that's taught these days is tied up in a sort of postmodern haze... the deconstruction of ideas to the point where all can be revealed as subjective. We still arrive at knowledge, but that knowledge is more likely to resemble social politics. Inclusive facts are preferable to exclusive facts hahaha... until something doesn't fit the agenda. It's all very flexible.

I like this book, and have my own copy: https://archive.org/stream/TheAbolitionOfMan_229/C.s.Lewis-TheAbolitionOfMan_djvu.txt

I'm being very cynical, and generalising, and oversimplifying, but this is the gist of what I've seen. On the other hand, I've observed a lot of real critical thinking in the service of working down to fundamental reality. Our social technologies are a curse and a blessing. Stupidity can be displayed and spread more easily than ever before, but the converse is also true.

Life.. uh.. finds a way.

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 205
Have you measured the cables?

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 205
Can we please leave politics and religion out of this thread.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 205
No need for ethernet cables anymore. I have a machine that creates audiophile air so you can stick to wireless from now on.
I thought we all agreed wireless doesn't have the bandwidth for audio?

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 205
I thought we all agreed wireless doesn't have the bandwidth for audio?

Modern wireless has more than enough bandwidth for any audio stream.

I have no problem with 4k video (and audio) streaming. A “hi-rez” audio stream takes up less than 1% of the available bandwidth in a wi-fi 6 based network and 6e is already proliferating with even more potential capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back