Just bought vintage Beyer dt220
Nov 5, 2009 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
Total impulse buy.

Anyway, what should I expect? I read a couple good things online before I got them but I really like the look of them. There's hardly any information on head-fi about them from my search.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 10
i have had them. good balanced sound, though i didnt care for the comfort, and wanted more bass slam. the headfi-er who bought them loved them and thought they were beautifully detailed

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 10
I have a pair, and I'm listening to them as I type. Ignore pretty much anything I've said about them prior to this. I didn't burn them in prior and was on something fierce. (Do I have to say I'm kidding?)
I personally think they can hold their own, maybe even outperform the K271. During the short time I listened to the V6 and DT770, I preferred the DT220 to them.

I'll describe the sound and some comparisons in a few sentences. The bass is rather tight, deeper than the K271. They have much less bass than the DT770, but more detailed. Too polite for bass heavy electronic tracks.

The mids are forward. Not Grado forward, but more than neutral. Male vocals have a nice amount of body, female voices are not as good as the K271.

The treble is nice, not piercing, not too mellow, not quite sparkley, but getting there. Suitable for jazz and the like. Saxophones sing with these.

Soundstage isn't the biggest in the world imo, but I've been spoiled with ATs. It's smaller than the K271, but a bit more precise. I didn't get the chance to really listen to the soundstage of the DT770 or V6.

Details are very prevalent, well for the price I paid ($30), heck even compared to everything I've heard <$100. Lyrics for pretty much any artist I've listened to are completely clear, save Coheed, which must be intentionally garbled
biggrin.gif
. In classical, every instrument is easy to discern.

The driver housing presses onto the ear and starts to hurt after a while. If you can, I'd try to make pads, but I've tried to make thicker pads but they always kill the sound. The vinyl pads get really warm after a while too.

This obviously is a cruddy review but I really am not in the mood to be doing anything (sickish, muscles hurt), but I feel I should post something because you inspired/came up with a feasible prototype for me to make a K1000 style 'phone so this is the least I could do.

If you want any more specifics about treble, mids, or bass, lemme know and I can add more. Just wanted to give a basic idea.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 10
They sound like nice headphones.

I just liked the look of them and the fact that they're vintage beyers. They also have brand new pads. 400ohm version.

I have relatively small ears which don't stick out a whole lot. Heck, mdrV6 and Grado bowls are circumaural for me. I should be OK.

How's the sound in terms of "openness"? Most closed cans I've tried have a congested sound (srh840 being the exception).

Thanks for the info!

Edit: I got them from ebay. Apparently there is another identical pair available. Just FYI. I have no relation with the seller.

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 10
I have the 32ohm (Or something around that) version, well at least that's what it says on the box, which I lost ages ago, so ymmv. I think mine are a good bit newer (Got them from the Beyer clearout sale) than the ones you have and we all know how some vintage Beyers (Vintage DT880/990, older DT48s according to kbi, etc) are nicer than their newer counterparts.

Open isn't a word I'd describe them as, but they aren't exactly congested. It's much more open sounding than the DT770 imo, but no where near open can level, obviously.

There isn't as much airiness as I'd like, but I really can't complain for the price I got them.

I recommend blu tack/polyfill modding them as I did to increase soundstage and deepen the bass.

The earpads are larger than V6 pads, but it's not the pads that are uncomfortable, it's the fact that there really isn't much other than some foam protecting your ear from the driver that sticks out and hurts your ear.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 10
I think they came in 20ohm and 400ohm versions. Fortunately my tube amp will be able to drive them!

I can post some impressions once I get them. They seem to be somewhat rare on these forums and the internet in general.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Just got them and they are really, really cool headphones. Beyerdynamic knows how to build a quality headphone. They are beasts.

I'm listening with my class-d headphone amp at the moment and it sounds very good. Fairly neutral which reminds me of my 880 250ohm. A bit less treble than the 880 so it's weighted a bit towards the low end. Though, by some people's standards still mid/treble oriented.

Soundstage is average. Not exaggerated but not closed in either.

At first listen, the sound was a bit horn-like and congested, but my ears quickly adjusted and now it's more enjoyable.

I have yet to try this with my tube amp where it will most likely perform its best. I'll report back later.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 10
the comments on these cans are very interesting! 
smile.gif
 sorry for the thread necro...

i don't think they can be sourced in my country, all the more that they are vintage beyer stuff. the net pictures are also grainy and horrible, but i saw that they had carbon black cups, circumaural i presume, and look sturdy. the drivers look closed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back