Just bought the Sony XB500.. need some advice.
May 12, 2013 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Syndicat3

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, I have the JVC HA-S500s and I've been burning them in overnight:

They sound fantastic. A lot of the music I listen to sounds great with these headphones.

However, I also listen to a lot of electronic, rap, glitch, acid jazz and drumstep, and this is where I find my HA-S500s perform worse than I was hoping. The tape mod makes bass muddy, so I scrapped it, and, long story short, I obviously can't get ear rattling bass out of these headphones.

I want a second set of headphones that are comfy and have the bass in them that I can EQ in foobar and rockbox to fix the flaws. I just bought the XB500s so they can be my "fun cans" for certain genres.

When these headphones come, I can still return them, so I'm asking you all: Do you think I made a good decision? It's not that I'm disappointed in the HA-S500s... I will use them for half of the music I listen to where I want mids, highs, and accurate bass.

All of your advice will be taken into consideration when decided whether to open them in a few days or return them. 

May 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 6
At their price point, the XB500 can't be beaten for bass quantity. 
The quality is about right for what you pay for. Not a great sound, but A LOT of fun.

May 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 6
My S500 is completely stock and when paired with the FiiO E12 the bass rattle my ear wax loose, and yes, I listen to mostly rap and edm.
With that said, I think you should keep the XB500 for those times where you want a crap load of bass

May 13, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
My S500 is completely stock and when paired with the FiiO E12 the bass rattle my ear wax loose, and yes, I listen to mostly rap and edm.
With that said, I think you should keep the XB500 for those times where you want a crap load of bass

Maybe it would be better if I invested in an amp instead... Hmm.. I'll have a look at that FiiO one and check out a few others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back