Just bought the Shure srh840 brand new for $130!!!
Apr 16, 2011 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KB24

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says, I got the srh840. I bought these from ebay, from a seller with 99.99% rating. I can't wait to get them! I'm going to be running these directly from my iPhone. I looked at a bunch of old threads. Some have suggested using a portable amp with these cans, and others have said that they do just fine directly from the iPhone. I really don't want anything bulky because these are going to be my portable cans. I was considering the Fiio E5 because it's cheap, and very small. Some have said that the E5 is garbage and that it just slightly increases the volume. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 6
congrats on the 840s! I got a set of 440s a few weeks ago and they sound great. but they're fairly big and heavy, so i can't see using them as a portable phone much. YMMV

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 6
I use my ATH M50 as my portable cans right now. The 840 is going to be a little heavier than the M50, but not by that much. I like the sound isolation of large over-the-ear headphones.

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Congrats on your purchase!  The SRH840 are a very accoplished 'phone, so you've done well to choose them.  I wouldn't worry about a portable amp just yet as you are still just learning the sound signature of the Shures.  Plus, they'll run just fine from your portable player.  Later on, when you really want to see what they can do, they'll be plenty of quality choices(some that are not that expensive) waiting for ya.

Apr 16, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 6
i got mine for $129.99 at best buy. so i think it was a good choice. but the thing is i hope you like them because i don't enjoy them as much as i wanted to. if they really do sound as good as headphones 2x the price then i think i may need to spend a lot more then i do on headphones. i hope you enjoy them.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 6
I think I'll enjoy them just fine. Thanks.

Quote:
i got mine for $129.99 at best buy. so i think it was a good choice. but the thing is i hope you like them because i don't enjoy them as much as i wanted to. if they really do sound as good as headphones 2x the price then i think i may need to spend a lot more then i do on headphones. i hope you enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back