Just Bought Solo Hd's Second Thoughts
Dec 30, 2010 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ruda1050

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of beats by dr. dre solo hd headphones. I listen to music all the time and i am very satisfied with the in ear buds i have. I wanted to get some over ear headphones so today i went to a bestbuy and bought Solo hd's. I'm very pleased with the way they look and all that, but the sound quality doesn't seem $160 better than my in-earbuds. Also I've read a lot about them breaking. I'm just wondering people's thoughts on if I should keep them or return them to bestbuy and get a different pair of over ear headphones from there that will give equal if not better quality for the same or lesser value. Looking for some advice from headphone enthusiast, someone who really knows what there talking about. Thanks

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 30
I haven't been on this forum very long, but I can tell you Beats aren't very respected around here. I would take them back and look at something like the ATH-M50. They are very well liked around here.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 30
welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet.

I agree, you should return the beats to bestbuy and order M50s or something equivalent.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
I just bought a pair of beats by dr. dre solo hd headphones. I listen to music all the time and i am very satisfied with the in ear buds i have. I wanted to get some over ear headphones so today i went to a bestbuy and bought Solo hd's. I'm very pleased with the way they look and all that, but the sound quality doesn't seem $160 better than my in-earbuds. Also I've read a lot about them breaking. I'm just wondering people's thoughts on if I should keep them or return them to bestbuy and get a different pair of over ear headphones from there that will give equal if not better quality for the same or lesser value. Looking for some advice from headphone enthusiast, someone who really knows what there talking about. Thanks

first things first, return the beats, my main concern is the build quality, they will snap on you any moment now (usually after the warranty) and yes, the sound quality you get isn't worth $160, also, what headphones have you used/tried in the past, do you need portability or will, you be using them at home, also, what type of music do you tend to listen to?

welcome to head-fi!

james

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 30
Put them in your trunk when you drive back to Best Buy to return those suckers...Beats are known for spontaneously exploding. You've already narrowly avoided ruining your ears...I'd hate to see you get blown up.

After you get your money back...do lots of reading here...TONS of great info...and welcome.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
Put them in your trunk when you drive back to Best Buy to return those suckers...Beats are known for spontaneously exploding. You've already narrowly avoided ruining your ears...I'd hate to see you get blown up.

After you get your money back...do lots of reading here...TONS of great info...and welcome.

LOL...in the most inconvenient areas possible as well...usually breaks occur on the once piece headband (how the hellare you going to fix that...) if a grado falls apart, you just pick up those 8-9 pieces and slather some hot glue on the pieces and smoosh them back together

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 30
I listen to mostly rap, Kid Cudi, Eminem, some Pac and Biggie. I listen to the occasional r&b and rock. Portability is not a must but it would be nice. Mostly, I will be using them at my house. I tried my buddy's Sony extra bases which I really liked, I would like to try the ATH-M50's but I cannot find them at most stores. I previously owned some zune in ear headphone buds which are nice but not any special brand. Also I had some skullcandy's but they were trash not surprise. Also I mostly will be using the headphones with my ipod and home stereo system, maybe the TV.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 30
I can recommend a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1's for that style of music if you feel you can pony up the extra cash for them.  I've had the opportunity to listen to them and I love the sound on Outkast's songs as well as on Eminem's newer songs.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
I listen to mostly rap, Kid Cudi, Eminem, some Pac and Biggie. I listen to the occasional r&b and rock. Portability is not a must but it would be nice. Mostly, I will be using them at my house. I tried my buddy's Sony extra bases which I really liked, I would like to try the ATH-M50's but I cannot find them at most stores. I previously owned some zune in ear headphone buds which are nice but not any special brand. Also I had some skullcandy's but they were trash not surprise. Also I mostly will be using the headphones with my ipod and home stereo system, maybe the TV.

bestbuy actually sells a far better model for your sound sig compared to the beats, the sony XB500's, they should have a demo station as well, well my local bestbuy does.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 30
I think it is pretty limited what you can buy in the store though different stores may have different stock. But if you go to the Best Buy website, they have a larger selection available. Still not sure they have that brand/model though, even online.

Quote:
Do you think bestbuy would sell the ATH-M50's?

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 30
Sorry dude, no. You'd have to have some special Best Buy if they had it. Amazon ships fast tho. You should try Ultrasone HFI 580 if you can. They have huge potential for bass.

Quote:
Do you think bestbuy would sell the ATH-M50's?

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 30
i got my shure srh750dj headphones from futureshop which is owned by bestbuy in canada. and they are incredible for the 150$ price tag. highly reccomended they have really good bass and wil suite your music taste well. they are also quite durable. well built. they beat the beats in sound quality and build quality any day.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
i got my shure srh750dj headphones from futureshop which is owned by bestbuy in canada. and they are incredible for the 150$ price tag. highly reccomended they have really good bass and wil suite your music taste well. they are also quite durable. well built. they beat the beats in sound quality and build quality any day.

also according to what i have read and what the guys at futureshop said. they were the best headphones in the store. the shures were the best they carried. i can guarentee you will have them at your local best buy unless they are sold out.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 30

Quote:

mind you though that the SRH750's headband (which is flat) will be nagging on your head on long listening sessions. overall, this is a great headphone for it's price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back