Just bought HD560's at yard sale for $1
May 17, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
eh, you bought ceramics for hockey deadhead12? Seriously?!? I couldn't imagine that kind of accelaration in Hockey
eek.gif

...You ever learn to control that? I bet your hockey skates are wonderful for cruising around though, I've got bones reds in my 5 wheel speed skates, I beleive they've hit their 3rd and final burn in and their great. I'd probably have a serious problem if I put ceramics in them, I live in a pretty hilly area and my speed skates hit 35-40mph no problem down most hills.

My spending or the skates? My back and shoulders are pretty messed up so I don't play anymore/ have no reason to spend money on gear.  When I did play, the speed really wasn't a problem as long as I had the right wheels for whatever surface we were playing on.  The biggest advantage was just efficiency; I could hit my top speed quicker and with less effort and could also extend the length of my shift (artificial endurance?).  It did sort of feel like cheating or using steroids or something.  I didn't really talk about the bearings much unless someone (friend or teammate) asked about them, at which time I'd put them in their skates and let them see the difference.  Most people were like, yeah, this is sweet but not worth the money.  Sort of the same reaction many people have to higher end headphones.  

As far a cruising around, where I live is quite flat, though we do have a bridge that has quite a steep decline on one side.  I'm not crazy enough to actually skate down it, but I've thought about it.  A few years back I was skating around downtown because they had just re-paved the battery.  When I got down there they had a speed trap radar thing set up and I made a couple of passes and I can't exactly remember how fast the thing said I was going but it was low to mid 20's.  Nothing spectacular or anything but I was just amazed It registered me at all.  

May 18, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #21 of 32
Well up to now I considered the JVC HARX700 and HARX900 the deals of the century....and BNIB they still are.

but you found the best deal on cans yet.

The only better deal i've experienced was an Orion HCCA225.....7.5/10 condition .....$8.

For those not familiar with car audio thats a highly regarded competition amplifier thats keeps increasing power as the impedance drops.

You can load these amps down to 1/2 or even 1/4 og an ohm and they keep going......and going.

I can easily sell it for $125.

Sorry for going OT....I just get excited about flea market/yard sale bargains.
L3000.gif

May 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #22 of 32
Well up to now I considered the JVC HARX700 and HARX900 the deals of the century....and BNIB they still are.

The only better deal I've experienced was an Orion HCCA225.....7.5/10 condition .....$8.

For those not familiar with car audio thats a highly regarded competition amplifier thats keeps increasing power as the impedance drops.

You can load these amps down to 1/2 or even 1/4 of an ohm and they keep going......and going.

L3000.gif

May 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

The only better deal i've experienced was an Orion HCCA225.....7.5/10 condition .....$8.

You can load these amps down to 1/2 or even 1/4 og an ohm and they keep going......and going.

L3000.gif

Its cool lol...Not sure I really understand though in all honesty

Quote:
and I thought my 50$ senn HD25-1 II in a bestbuy clearance sell was a record....

Considering that the HD25-1 II is still on the market for $200 I'd say it is
L3000.gif

I'd consider the HD560 as more of a priceless headphone so it really doesn't count :wink:

Quote:
Well since you can't flip on head-fi you'd have to sell 'em (if you did) at <$1.  
wink.gif

Ach...didn't think of that, well...
rolleyes.gif

Good thing I like them then lol...I might consider putting the DD Quartz on the FS forums though, im really in dire need of a source upgrade. Its really imperative for me at this point...

I can't help but feel like I should be bowing at your feet having seen that you've had the honor of listening to the qualia/MDR-R10/K1000/ etc.
eek.gif

How did you get to...ahem, "demo" the Ultimate Ears UE18 Pro ? Did UE have a universal demo at their booth at a meet? 

May 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:
Ach...didn't think of that, well...
rolleyes.gif

Good thing I like them then lol...I might consider putting the DD Quartz on the FS forums though, im really in dire need of a source upgrade. Its really imperative for me at this point...

I can't help but feel like I should be bowing at your feet having seen that you've had the honor of listening to the qualia/MDR-R10/K1000/ etc.
eek.gif

How did you get to...ahem, "demo" the Ultimate Ears UE18 Pro ? Did UE have a universal demo at their booth at a meet? 

Yep, all at meets, really helps put the head-fi quest in perspective.  Go get yourself to a meet and you shall, er, bow at your own feet.  Although lock your door first lest someone walk in and think you were trying to do something else.  

May 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #27 of 32
I bought a set of HD 560s for $25 on Ebay in December (and spent another $50 on new pads and cables -- still a great bargain).  If you read Http://www.hifi-forum.de, a German site parallel to this one, you'll see that knowledgeable German reviewers rate these as superior to the HD 580/600/650 for classical music.  What I know is that combined with my Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. amp and Musical Fidelity V-DAC, the results are excellent.  

May 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:
I bought a set of HD 560s for $25 on Ebay in December (and spent another $50 on new pads and cables -- still a great bargain).  If you read Http://www.hifi-forum.de, a German site parallel to this one, you'll see that knowledgeable German reviewers rate these as superior to the HD 580/600/650 for classical music.  What I know is that combined with my Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. amp and Musical Fidelity V-DAC, the results are excellent.  

Didn't I comment on your review? LOL

My uncle is a sworn fan of classical and opera; he takes me to to local student AVA opera performances about 4 times a year and gave me the 20CD Classical Masterpeices of the MIllenium set. Your absolutely right about the HD560's, not only are they very organic sounding and great alrounders, but classical is great. The tonal balance is something else. I think having a voice playing in your head drops the realistic factor a little when it comes to pop music, but its different when vocals are out of the question. I can't help but get lost in the music when listening to a great live (open mic'ed) classical symphony or jazz recording 
smily_headphones1.gif

Live music is really great though. I like to see different kinds of concerts throughout the year, I think I'd forget what music actually sounds like otherwise.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back