Just Bought a PS3
Jan 25, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS3 can do bitstream. It's just not implemented yet. Plus there is 0 difference between PS3 or a receiver when it comes to decoding.

PS3 CANNOT bitstream TrueHD or DTS-HD because of a HARDWARE LIMITATION

the HDMI chip in the PS3 is not capable of bitstreaming those formats

it can bitstream standard dolby digital and DTS but TrueHD and DTS-HD as i said before must be decoded on the player and sent as a PCM stream... still the same lossless audio though

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS3 CANNOT bitstream TrueHD or DTS-HD because of a HARDWARE LIMITATION

the HDMI chip in the PS3 is not capable of bitstreaming those formats

it can bitstream standard dolby digital and DTS but TrueHD and DTS-HD as i said before must be decoded on the player and sent as a PCM stream... still the same lossless audio though

Silicon Image has never publicly revealed the specification of Si9132 which the PS3 uses. What you read before is a person who called SI for information but the spokesperson mistaken Si9132 with Si1932 which is a different HDMI transmitter. Silicon Image already confirmed that they never released any information regarding PS3 HDMI transmitter only that is under the specification of HDMI 1.3 which is the most current. When you say hardware limitation you are talking like you know for a fact that it is. Judging by the 1.3 spec and xvYCC support, PS3 is more than capable of bitstreaming lossless codecs.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #33 of 44
HDMI 1.3 spec doesn't require truehd and dts-hd bitstreaming those are optional features

if the chip in the PS3 could do it they would have had it working from launch

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

HDMI 1.3 spec doesn't require truehd and dts-hd bitstreaming those are optional features

if the chip in the PS3 could do it they would have had it working from launch

It is optional like xvYCC but it's implemented. DTS-HD MA is possible but wasn't available at launch but it's not hardware limitations like other said before. BDA puts lossless codecs as optional but they still implemented it.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #35 of 44
you realize DTS-HD MA was added as a software decoder right?

nothing you have stated is proof it's not a hardware limitation or that any spokesperson confused the 1932 and 9132 specs and no amount of google searching has shown me anything that backs up what you are saying... everything i've said can be backed up with a quick visit to google but your claims come up empty

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

you realize DTS-HD MA was added as a software decoder right?

nothing you have stated is proof it's not a hardware limitation or that any spokesperson confused the 1932 and 9132 specs and no amount of google searching has shown me anything that backs up what you are saying... everything i've said can be backed up with a quick visit to google but your claims come up empty

I do know that DTS-HD was added as a software decoder through cell. What I was trying to point out is that people was claiming that PS3 cannot do DTS-HD because of hardware limitation like you are doing now.

Here is the specification of Sil1932 which was misquoted by a PR thinking it's 9132
(Silicon Image - Products)

Here is the document proving it's Sil9132 not Sil1932.
(http://www.chipworks.com/uploadedFil...port%20(2).pdf)

You do not have any real proof from any press release or documentation that the PS3 HDMI transmitter (Sil9132) cannot bitstream because it's in NDA.

Googling something and claiming it's right is not a logical answer. It started out in AVSForum with a guy copying and pasting an e-mail from "Silicon Image" and was blown out of proportion then it spreaded like a stupid rumor.

There was a press release from Silicon Image that the 9132 is the same as 9134 except that 9132 is internally developed for Sony to PlayStation 3 and it's NDA. (http://www.siliconimage.com/news/pre...se.aspx?id=384)

9134 does bitstream lossless codecs.

Either way arguing with you is pointless since I know you don't know what you are talking about. Internal or external decoding it's all the same. Represent the fact that PS3 is incapable of doing something that you have no proof other than "Googling" and make that a fact.

Do I know the exact reason of it not being implemented yet? No. Does anyone consumer wise? No. Is it possible? Yes. Will it ever be implemented? Maybe.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do know that DTS-HD was added as a software decoder through cell. What I was trying to point out is that people was claiming that PS3 cannot do DTS-HD because of hardware limitation like you are doing now.

when did anyone say the PS3 couldn't do DTS-HD due to hardware limitation? anyone with half a brain knows any codec can be decoded through software and i only recall "hardware limitation" ever being used for bitstreaming

Quote:

Here is the specification of Sil1932 which was misquoted by a PR thinking it's 9132

yes i can find information about the Sil1932 easily but what i am saying is how do you know it was misquoted in the first place?

Quote:

There was a press release from Silicon Image that the 9132 is the same as 9134 except that 9132 is internally developed for Sony to PlayStation 3 and it's NDA. (http://www.siliconimage.com/news/pre...se.aspx?id=384)

broken link but if it's the same then why not just use the 9134?

Quote:

Internal or external decoding it's all the same.

when did i ever say it wasn't?

anyway lets get back on track here

buy resistance add SgtPnkks to your friends list and we can shoot each other online (i also have burnout paradise, warhawk, motorstorm, and high velocity bowling (as well as some single player only games that aren't important))

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So yeah, I picked up Iron Man and the Dark Knight. Holy crap! I don't know why I held out so long on buying a PS3. Now I just need me some Metal Gear Solid 4 and I'm set. For a little while at least...

gotta try resident evil 5 and killzone 2, both are great fps

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bodine1231 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get Infamous,one of the best games I've played and DEFINATELY the best game on the PS3

x2. I would say they are the next best to MGS 4.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #42 of 44
i definately reccomend infamous, and if you like shooters, killzone 2 is one of the best to come out in a long time. Metal gear is good if you like that kinda game. I am not the most "japanese style game" fan, but it looks gorgeous.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technokat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i definately reccomend infamous, and if you like shooters, killzone 2 is one of the best to come out in a long time. Metal gear is good if you like that kinda game. I am not the most "japanese style game" fan, but it looks gorgeous.

Killzone 2 looked really cool, but not cool enough for me to get a pS3 over a 360.
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #44 of 44
i have both so i dont have to chose. Main reason i got a ps3 was for the bluray, but being able to play the odd hit game now and then that isnt on the 360 is nice. Otherwise yes, the 360 is my prefered system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back