Just Bought a PS3
Jan 17, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to pick up the Dark Knight eventually. But I actually saw that in the theater and figured I'd wait a little bit and pick up a movie or two I've either never seen or haven't seen in a while. But on my next movie run I'm definitely picking up Iron Man and Dark Knight, and maybe Serenity (just because I'm a huge Firefly dork).

If you pick up Firefly, please PM me on the quality.
I'm a huge Firefly dork and own all the DVDs and have been considering the upgrade.

Quote:

You're not kidding. And not only that, I've got all the options I can play with on my TV and receiver as well (a Bravia XBR 5 and Pioner Elite VXS-94TXH).

Heck yeah! I'm still finding new settings on the PS3, then there are those fun days when the system updates get pushed out... sometimes EVEN MORE SETTINGS
biggrin.gif

Found one the other day under audio that is supposed to make dialogue in movies louder, don't even know if it was there before...

j's picks for Blu-Ray:
- Wall-E
smily_headphones1.gif

- Blade Runner
- Dark Knight
- Iron Man
Anything and everything! BD kicks DVD butt!

j's picks for Games:
- LITTLE BIG PLANET
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Metal Gear Solid IV
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Only $30!)
- Spider-Man Web of Shadows

For anyone who owns Dark Night, did you find it interesting how the playback perspective would change during the movie? IIRC, when the perspective changes, you know it was one of those scenes that was originally shot for IMAX.

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #17 of 44
Also, just a recommendation. If you plan on watching a lot of Blu-ray movies on the PS3. Do your self a favor and take $20 down to GameStop or whatever and buy the Sony PS3 BlueTooth remote.

I am so amazed that I finally don't have to point a remote AT the device anymore
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 44
I'll add another vote for the Bluetooth remote, it beats using a controller to watch movies.

I have my PS3 connected to the home network via an Apple Airport Express. It works like a charm.

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dark Knight is probably the best looking BD out there at the moment.

i'm going to have to disagree... the imax scenes look great but they made one serious mistake with the 35mm scenes... instead of using a 35mm print as the source for the transfer of those scenes they used the IMAX print for the whole thing which means all the bad things from the IMAX DMR process (digital noise reduction and edge enhancement) show up in the 35mm scenes giving them an unnatural processed look

if you want good demo material look for stuff shot in HD video like alot of concert blurays or some 3d animation

some good demo material of movies shot on film just off the top of my head... tropic thunder, iron man, chronicles of narnia prince caspian, nightmare before christmas, pirates of the caribbean, the patriot

and now for great video quality on the cheap... for $10 at walmart you can pick up Stargate (the only fault i can find is this disc is the director's cut and some of the added scenes have some very noticable print damage) and Rambo 3 (surprising as it may sound Rambo 3's picture quality is very good)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I quickly realized that my new PS3 was the cause of exacltly the same symptoms on my home network after the Sony was installed. Shutting the player down when not in use instantly got rid of the problem.

What's the cause?

it's a combination of the media server feature and router settings not playing nice with each other

both solutions are easy... the easiest is just disabling the media server on the PS3 you can find the router settings you need to play with fairly easily through google

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

maybe Serenity (just because I'm a huge Firefly dork).

I <3 Firefly. I have the Firefly series on BD and the audio is really good. Video quality is definitely improved.

Congrats!

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sometimes... i have to disable the media server features or i get constantly disconnected from PSN and it also randomly would cause my PC to get disconnected from the network ...

Ouch! So it isn't as easy peasy as I had thought. Though I must admit, once my trial period of EyeConnect ends, I'm going to have to compile MediaTomb from scratch to get DLNA streaming on mac, and I'm sure that'll bring out a whole bunch of small annoying problems. Ah well, there's always sneakernet
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by christine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I <3 Firefly. I have the Firefly series on BD and the audio is really good. Video quality is definitely improved.

Congrats!

That's always nice to hear. Looks like I'll be picking those up eventually, as well.

In the meantime, though, I've been screwing around with the display settings on the TV and PS3. I don't know if the x.v Color and Super White really make a difference, but my TV supports them so I went ahead and enabled those settings on the HDMI input on the TV. The only thing I'm not positive about is if my receiver can handle them, though (or if that matters). I'm also a little puzzled about the audio. I know my receiver can handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, but I'm not sure if things are working right.

Right now, I have the audio ouput via HDMI set to "Bitstream" which I assume means that the PS3 does not decode anything and sends the raw signal to the receiver (which would in turn do the decoding of the audio signal). But when I do that, the receiver display says the sound is Dolby Digital. When I set the audio output to "Linear PCM" the receiver just shows "PCM" on the display and, to my ears, seems a lot quieter. So I'm a little confused as to what the receiver is actually doing.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #23 of 44
So yeah, I picked up Iron Man and the Dark Knight. Holy crap! I don't know why I held out so long on buying a PS3. Now I just need me some Metal Gear Solid 4 and I'm set. For a little while at least...

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #27 of 44
I think only the one that is compatible with PS2 can play SACD. But I don't have SACD anyway. And not like I have an excellent home theatre system to justify the SACD.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

I'm pretty sure my model doesn't play SACD. But that's really no big loss for me. I'm just trying to figure out why my receiver isn't getting Dolby TrueHD signals.

PS3 is unable to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD (hardware limitation so no firmware update will ever make it possible) you have to set HDMI out to PCM and it will decode the audio on the player and send it as multichannel PCM to your receiver

and no new PS3 can play SACD... only the models with PS2 backwards compatibility (the ones with 4 USB ports and the card reader) can play SACD

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

PS3 is unable to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD (hardware limitation so no firmware update will ever make it possible) you have to set HDMI out to PCM and it will decode the audio on the player and send it as multichannel PCM to your receiver

Wow. That...kinda sucks. I guess it really doesn't matter, though. It's lossless either way.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

and no new PS3 can play SACD... only the models with PS2 backwards compatibility (the ones with 4 USB ports and the card reader) can play SACD

PS3 can do bitstream. It's just not implemented yet. Plus there is 0 difference between PS3 or a receiver when it comes to decoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back