Just a few questions about building a headphone amp
Mar 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cymbal Monkey

100+ Head-Fier
So, I wana build my first amp, but I want one of the portable ipod sized amps. So here are my questions, what's a good amp to build? I'm very electronics savvy having put together guitar amps, so skill is a non issue, but like I said, I want one that'll run off of the line out on my iphone. Next, where are you lot getting those nice aluminum enclosures?

Thank you much.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 12
AMB Mini³ maybe?

mini3_6.jpg

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 12
A friend was listening to my home rig today and asked me about portable amps to build, and I realised that I didn't know any 'cos I've always been desk-top. So I too would be interested to learn what is available...

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 12
A popular option is a CMoy, but since you're already experienced in building electronic circuits I say you go with the Mini3 too. There's even a full kit available.

cheers!

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 12
I would say; try to build a PPA Amp. I've had and tried many different amps, and the PPA is the best one that I have heard. I use it as my main amp now. If you have the skill, like you said; I would give the PPA a try.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 12
The idea is have both, a portable for when I'm at school or whatnot, and a desktop tube for when I'm home. On that subject, what's a really good desktop tube to build?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back