JRiver Media Center 21 -- Ready To Go
Oct 27, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #16 of 168
The message I'm getting is...

None of the tracks can be transferred.
Common errors include insufficient rights or unsupported file types.

This applies whether I try to upload files to the phone's internal memory or the SD card. I tried converting from FLAC to other formats and get the same response each time. It's very frustrating as I already have a lot of FLAC on the card, which I can access.

Are you able to copy FLAC files directly to SD card on device from File Manager?

If yes,  create a directory in root of C:\ called "Sync" or something suitable.

In MC go to Tools>Options>File Locations>Conversion Cache and change that to the directory you just created.

Try syncing again.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 168
Are any DSP studio settings recommended, or is there any consensus on preference?  For example, do most people check the "Headphones" setting?  Do many people use Equalizer or Effects settings?  

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #18 of 168
Are any DSP studio settings recommended, or is there any consensus on preference?  For example, do most people check the "Headphones" setting?  Do many people use Equalizer or Effects settings?  
I only recommend the basics. Volume leveling, adaptive volume, clip protection, and if you use some sort of virtual surround (beats the convolver imo) the channel upmixing is second to none.

Of course, you could add some tasty VST's, too! I recommend ReLife in particular.

But hey man, tinker! That's half the fun :)

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #19 of 168
If you use windows just drag and drop, works much faster than "syncing".

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 168
I only recommend the basics. Volume leveling, adaptive volume, clip protection, and if you use some sort of virtual surround (beats the convolver imo) the channel upmixing is second to none.

Of course, you could add some tasty VST's, too! I recommend ReLife in particular.

But hey man, tinker! That's half the fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Adaptive Volume is the opposite of Volume Leveling.
You should only use Volume Leveling, and you need to have analyzed your library before it works correctly.

The most important thing to change is to set the dither to TPDF Dithering instead of the "JRiver dither" which is just RPDF dither.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #21 of 168

But hey man, tinker! That's half the fun
smily_headphones1.gif

You should only use Volume Leveling, and you need to have analyzed your library before it works correctly.

The most important thing to change is to set the dither to TPDF Dithering instead of the "JRiver dither" which is just RPDF dither.
Great info, thanks!

Where to set dither? I believe I have it disabled entirely.

And thoughts on Parametric EQ?

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #24 of 168

That's not exactly accurate. Volume Leveling attempts to make all tracks play the same average volume level using a target that works for all tracks. This can end up making some groups of songs sound a little bit quiet. Something like 6 to 10 dB lower than you might expect. But the volume does become pretty consistent from track to track, which is nice.

Adaptive Volume has 3 modes. The Peak Level Normalize mode, which is the default, will restore some of the lost volume but keep the average level consistent. Just consistently louder than with it turned off. It does not affect Dynamic Range. It does not change the relative volume from track to track. It just makes everything a bit louder.

Now, Adaptive Volume has two other modes, and those affect Dynamic Range and (not sure what else on the small speaker one).

Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume are safe to use together and are recommended by most users of JRMC, including me. :)

Brian.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #25 of 168
Could anyone shed some light on Parametric EQ?

Parametric EQ is a relatively well known audio concept. JRMC's PEQ does regular Parametric EQ, plus a BUNCH of other stuff including crossover, shelving, channel reassignment, etc. What are you trying to do or trying to figure out?

Clip Protection vs Flatline Overflow?

Unless you have a good reason to do so, leave clip protection turned on and do NOT use flat line overflows. FLO mode could sound HORRIBLE if you drive the levels into clipping through EQ or gain, or other DSP processing.

Brian.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #26 of 168
Parametric EQ is a relatively well known audio concept. JRMC's PEQ does regular Parametric EQ, plus a BUNCH of other stuff including crossover, shelving, channel reassignment, etc. What are you trying to do or trying to figure out?
Unless you have a good reason to do so, leave clip protection turned on and do NOT use flat line overflows. FLO mode could sound HORRIBLE if you drive the levels into clipping through EQ or gain, or other DSP processing.

Brian.
thanks!

I'm mostly interested in the limiter--any recommendations for settings, please?

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #28 of 168
I am lost with JRiver 21. A few days ago I downloaded it so am using demo time.

What I want to do is copy all my Media Go files into a JRiver folder. However much I try, I can't.

Basically other mucis apps like iTunes and Media Go create a folder in 'My Music', on the PC. Jriver doesn't, or it hasn't for me. Therefor I can't just copy over my folder of FLAC rips. I know there si an import of some kind but I can't negotiate it. I have however managed to get some music over, but it's a mess. Not all are there. Some are mp3 rips from somewhere else. Secondly they are in the wrong order. I makes a mess of listing. Like The Pretenders The Singles is the second in the file organisation. While in Media Go it's under P.

The only way I can play my Media Go rips in JRiver is by choosing them from Drives and Devices>Explorer>C: Drive>Users, etc. As you can imagine that is pain to have to do all the time.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #29 of 168
What I want to do is copy all my Media Go files into a JRiver folder. However much I try, I can't.

JRiver MC doesn't copy files into it's own folder. It imports the music you tell it to, from the directory or directories that you tell it to. If your files from Media Go are all under one directory (with lots of directories underneath that), all you have to do is tell JRiver to import that directory and it will do it and should find every music file in that directory structure.

You could make a copy of those files if you wanted to and put them into another directory and then tell JRiver to import from there. There's probably not a good reason to do so though, unless you are going to be altering the files with other programs while JRiver is using them.

I have however managed to get some music over, but it's a mess. Not all are there. Some are mp3 rips from somewhere else.

It sounds like maybe JRiver ran it's one-time automated "find all music" feature before you could stop it. I would suggest clearing your library entirely. Don't worry, this won't delete any files. It will delete any playlists you've made, but every file will be preserved on disk. File > Library > Clear Library .

Once that's done, you can start importing the directory, or directories where you have music. Tools > Import > Import a single folder.

Secondly they are in the wrong order. I makes a mess of listing. Like The Pretenders The Singles is the second in the file organisation. While in Media Go it's under P.

JRiver MC uses the metadata inside the files for organization. So that album, The Pretenders, The Singles, should be under Artists with other artists that start with P, in alphabetical order. Once you find the Artist and double click it, it should show you all of the albums by that artist, alphabetically.

One of the things that makes JRMC so powerful is it's View system. Views are ways of laying out your songs. Views can show you the same files in several different ways. For example, I just described the Artists view. There's also an Albums view, which (by default) sorts all albums, by Album Name only, alphabetically. There are also Panes views. Take a look under Audio on the left and you'll see several built-in Views to play with. For most people one or two of those views do what they want. If not, you can build you own view, the way you want it.

Keep in mind though, that JRMC doesn't care about how the files and folders are laid out on disk. It ONLY cares about the metadata. It's possible to emulate some common disk organization structures, but it's best to just think about the music itself in terms of how you want it organized, and not focus on how you have it sitting on the disk.

If you need more help, I can try to help you in this thread. Or come over to the JRiver forums and post your question there, where there are others that know the software well.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php

Good luck!

Brian.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #30 of 168
I fixed it by uninstalling JRiver, and removed both other uninstall options like registry entries. I reinstalled it and stopped the music search and import. I found I could import by linking to my Media Go folder. I have it set up now.

It does something different to Media Go. It lists all albums under one artist under one tile of one of the albums. Whereas Media Go shows all albums by a single artist in main window. I kind of prefer that with Media Go. However it's not a deal breaker with JRiver.

I am getting  there though so please don't feel the need to help more. Though thank you very much for writing. (Sorry I had figured it before you wrote.)

I think I posted in desperation earlier because I spent hours, days ago trying to set it up. However today I figured it.

I think my last task is based on rip quality. I read that some rippers are better than others. I wonder if I need to re-rip my CDs, which I ripped with Media Go. I could use JRiver. Or there is Exact Audio Copy which I could use and drop the FLACs into the Media Go folder. I think it's even possible to set up a unique JRiver folder, and point import to that. (That was the last thing I was looking at today.) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back