Joseph Grado Signature Product "HP2i" upgraded HP 1000 headphone; information journal and comparative review (on hiatus :/)
Apr 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #226 of 279
Some good news today on progress being made  Something happened over the week that somehow changed Joe's attitude and he became more reasonable.  He's much more calm, clear and friendlier now.  Even though I still have to pay the remaining fairly big amount, it seems like I maybe getting my headphones back.  He's got 3 more pairs to upgrade and is going to work on them.  He said it'll take him a day to upgrade each pair once he gets going.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #227 of 279
Good to hear tamahome77.  Sounds encouraging at least.

Lets hope he maintains this new found level headedness.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #228 of 279
That's good news. At this point, it would just be great to get them back even if you have to pay some more. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #229 of 279
Keep your money, and send in the lawyers.

Seems like him playing bad cop-good cop all by himself.

i.e. give you a hard time and hold your 'phones to ransom, then switch to good and say your 'phones will be shipped if you cough up the exrtra loot that you were hesitant in paying.

Joe seems like a cagey old devil who's found a good way to fleece his customers before he shuffles off this mortal coil.

I have no sympathy for him.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #230 of 279
And the best part is that this mod is something anyone can do at home in 15 minutes (without scratching the metal)
Joe should pay you for wasting your time and damaging your rare headphones

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #231 of 279
  Some good news today on progress being made  Something happened over the week that somehow changed Joe's attitude and he became more reasonable.  He's much more calm, clear and friendlier now.  Even though I still have to pay the remaining fairly big amount, it seems like I maybe getting my headphones back.  He's got 3 more pairs to upgrade and is going to work on them.  He said it'll take him a day to upgrade each pair once he gets going.

If you decide to pay him, I would make the final payment via an escrow account.  He can't withdraw the funds until you confirm that the headphones have arrived and are in working condition.

That way, if there are any more problems, you aren't out additional funds.  I'm sure Joe won't like it but at this point, do you really want to risk paying him more money and getting nothing for it?

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #232 of 279
  And the best part is that this mod is something anyone can do at home in 15 minutes (without scratching the metal)
Joe should pay you for wasting your time and damaging your rare headphones

This is true. I did the mod to mine and eventually reversed it back to stock because I like the stock sound better. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #234 of 279

Keep your money, and send in the lawyers.

Seems like him playing bad cop-good cop all by himself.

i.e. give you a hard time and hold your 'phones to ransom, then switch to good and say your 'phones will be shipped if you cough up the exrtra loot that you were hesitant in paying.

Joe seems like a cagey old devil who's found a good way to fleece his customers before he shuffles off this mortal coil.

I have no sympathy for him.

Agreed with everything stated here 100%.  No chance in hell I would send him any more cash.

The change in attitude likely came from his prescriptions being refilled.

Am I missing something here?  What is this mod that we can do at home in 15 minutes?

I'm assuming applying that brown tar funk on the inside of the metal chamber that they came with stock.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #236 of 279
So maybe similar net effect but not in essence the same mods...

Reading d3's extensive review and ignoring maybe the measurements there's clearly more going on than just tar (or creatology foam) in the overall headphones though.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #237 of 279
Having modded 2 of these and per report them sounding very good, there is a little more than creatology but it is not rocket science. I doubt Joe is using any foam damping but I may be wrong. The measurements of the modded headphones are exceptional. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #239 of 279
  So maybe similar net effect but not in essence the same mods...

Reading d3's extensive review and ignoring maybe the measurements there's clearly more going on than just tar (or creatology foam) in the overall headphones though.

The only difference is that Purrin used a foamish material while Joe uses dynamat. (which he applies in a way he seems to want to get it over with ASAP, an 8 year old toddler could do the mod in a lot more professional fashion.)

I'm also quite curious how people know for sure that he actually replaced the drivers for NOS ones? Since I remember him saying years ago he was out of stock.
Also, seems like he doesnt give his customers their old drivers back. Why wouldn't he give them back if they worked well? especially given the astronomical pricetag. Does he throw the old ones in the bin? Let me guess, he just leaves the old drivers and probably only cleans them. Damn I wouldn't be comfortable with an old annoyed guy (who only seems to care about making money) cleaning my rare non-replaceble drivers. Especially given how he doesn't seem to care about scratching the metal housings.
I'll do it myself for free, thank you.

May 3, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #240 of 279
Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread but I'm very curious what that polarity switch does on this pair of headphones, does it change the sound signature in any way? I'm not quite sure what it means but it's so unique

Users who are viewing this thread

Back