Joseph Grado Signature Product "HP2i" upgraded HP 1000 headphone; information journal and comparative review (on hiatus :/)
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #151 of 279
Wow. This sounds beyond ridiculous.

The upgrade wasn't really something i had on my radar (due to cost), but now i'm definitely writing this off as a "never in a million years".

Guess if the drivers go now, theyll become a cool pair of magnums.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #152 of 279
Joe just called me today telling me for the extra work he did $1250 is not enough. He was a little confused and asked me where I got the $1250 figure from. I told him that the figure is what he had told me a year ago before I sent them in for the upgrade. He asked me that the work he did will cost me $2000 for the upgrade + shipping. I kept telling him that I sent in the $1250 bank draft and asked multiple times what happened to it and if he had cashed in already. At first, he seemed a bit confused as to what happened to that $1250 and finally said he had cashed it in and will only charge me $500 + shipping now. But I would need someone in the USA to have the headphones shipped to because he's very paranoid about international shipments. Is there anyone who's reputable around here that could lend me a hand? That person will have to call in to Joe and he'll give you the figure that will need to be mailed to him. I'll paypal you the money and you send the money order or certified cheque to Joe. He will send my headphones to a US address. In return, I could let the person audition it for a month.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #153 of 279
I'm happy to do it, but would prefer to have you talk to Joe LOL.  I'll even take pretty pics if you want comparing to my stock pair.

BTW - you may want to get as many of these things in writing as you can... or even tape record it I guess but writing is more useful.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #156 of 279
What you really need to do is have grado labs act as a middleman. He needs to send the cans to them, then you send the additional money, then they send you the cans.

To be quite honest, I have a little bit of a hard time believing these horror stories. I love my Grados, but I'll never buy another pair if this is true. This is horrific, and unless the guy has had a stroke, or really multiple strokes recently, this is absolutely inexcusable. Music and its reproduction should not be treated as a way to swindle people out of their money. It should be for the betterment of the people involved.

It would be very difficult for anyone in their right mind to advocate sending this guy any more headphones. I'd simply take this guy to civil court over something like this. Just unbelievable.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #157 of 279
I've received a reply from Grado and this is what they have to say about my situation:

"We have discuss your situation and to be frank we will not be able to intercede on your behalf.
Currently we do have have any contact with Joseph Grado concerning any business matters.

Our best advice is to used a third party shipping company, a freight forwarder that can handle  door to door logistics or a courier service."

I've message a fellow head-fier who happens to live in North Carolina and is generous and nice enough to assist me in picking them up in person from Joe's residence once I arrange a meeting.  I hope all goes well.  

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #158 of 279
  I've received a reply from Grado and this is what they have to say about my situation:

"We have discuss your situation and to be frank we will not be able to intercede on your behalf.
Currently we do have have any contact with Joseph Grado concerning any business matters.

This is very irresponsible on Grado's part.

And both sentences are grammatically incorrect. What the xxxx?

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #159 of 279
This is outrageous. Like it isn't already bad enough that he charges you 2 grand to randomly wipe some rubber putty on your cans, damaging them in the process.
I'm really curious to see how this will turn out. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #162 of 279
It would have been nice for Grado to help out, but they definitely have zero responsibility to help. 

Grado are not legally liable, but I am sure they will talk to Mr. Joseph Grado if you keep annoying them. So Tamahome77, don't stop calling and emailing Grado!

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #163 of 279
Grado Lab is run by John Grado. Joe has nothing to do with it anymore. Pestering Grado Lab is not going to solve anything.
Joe has shipped headphones overseas many times before and I don't understand why all of a sudden he is paranoid about it. 
Hope this gets resolved quickly. No one should send any headphones to him now.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #164 of 279
  He also mention that he made some dings on my headphones and was trying to smooth it out. Can you imagine sending your mint pair and he dings it? I've been very nice and very patient with him.  He asked me to excuse his language a few days ago and exclaimed "these upgraded headphones are beeping beeping beeping good! that's how good they sound".

I feel really bad for you. I find it hard to form a solid opinion about all of this, I mean, if dementia, or Alzheimer  is the reason for his behaving, it's one thing  it's sad and pathetic.
but if it's just out of greed, then it's enraging. Either way, the result is basically the same for you. You've spendt a lot of money, and you have nothing to show for it.

They're are many reasons why I've never considered having my HP1000 modded, but this certainly wasn't one of them.

Good luck, and keep us posted.  

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #165 of 279
  Stock HP1000's are overrated... properly modded they are something to behold.

Both HP 1000's core killer-advantage and bulk of qualities reside in the design of its drivers and are extrinsic to the cups and to “HP 1000”, the aluminum alloy and stainless steel head contraption. I have many driver pairs and reached this conclusion after extensive listening of them being enclosed in various cup designs (differing in length, material, mount and shape).

Maybe your mod is an open heart surgery of the engine behind the diaphragm, but I doubt it and either way, your modified pair is still propelled by that Primo transducer, a very good foundation definitely worth polishing.

The difference probably isn't as wide as you state it to be but you're entirely right implying that the “HP 1000” isn't the be-all end-all and can be improved upon. I advocate pads are the first important place to start.

The HP 1000 has a convoluted and everlasting reputation; the headphone has been overdiscussed that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back