Johny Cash. He got remixed, oh yes....
Sep 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Or actually OH NOOOOES.
frown.gif

Dare I say this is blasphemy? Being a great Cash fan myself I saw this guy called Laurent Wolf had made a remix of "I Walk The Line". Obviously I had to watch it.

See it here:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

link

I am totally cool with tributes. Snoop Dogg for example had a Cash Tribute called "My Medicine". You might not like it but it's a tribute and shows respect to an artist that is no longer alive.
This remix however is totally respectless. The original song got remixed in such a way that it doesn't represent Johnny Cash at all and neither does it capture any of his trades.

I understand you want to make your own "music" that is based on an old song. But PLEASE, please pay at least some respect to artists that deserve it or whenever you feel like kicking such an artist in the back....

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 15
I wouldn't say this is excellent but I am usually okay with people doing a dance mix.

This would be my favorite "remix":

YouTube - Singing in the rain remix

However, what I do HATE, and I mean HATE, is when a-holes like Kenny G have the audacity to remix themselves with timeless artists like Louis Armstrong. Kenny G can barely play and yet he had the balls to play alongside the great Satchmo. Kenny G should be drawn and quartered.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 15
I agree, a cover version should be done with respect.

Kind of inverse to your topic, but I love the cover Johnny Cash did of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt.
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 15
Now that's awful.

Especially considering that the power of Cash's music lies in its stripped-down minimalism. "Ring of Fire" has a little more instrumentation than most, but adding all that crap is a travesty.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, a cover version should be done with respect.

Kind of inverse to your topic, but I love the cover Johnny Cash did of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt.
biggrin.gif

I know! I love the later "American Recordings" series. Most of them are covers but are all wonderful.

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 15
It used to take originality, talent, and grit. Now anything goes. I don't like it, but there isn't much I can do about it except to ignore it.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 15
Snoop's been coasting for years, but he actually did have originality, talent, and grit at one point. Don't know about the first guy. In terms of remixing old artists, Johnny Cash being recently dead puts this in some iffy territory for me, it makes it seem like a cash grab, but in general I see the idea of reinterpreting the songs of older artists through remixes (and sampling, for that matter) as just the modern descendant of the old folk tradition of living songs being passed down, just now with modern technology. I guess about 5 years ago now, Blue Note records opened their catalogue to Madlib to create a remix album, and the result, Shades of Blue, was very well received. That's one of the better examples I can think of. There was also the mash-up of the Beatles' White Album with Jay-Z's Black Album, that Danger Mouse created, which made big noise. And of course Hip-Hop and electronic music have been sampling for years, which is similar. The results aren't always gonna be good, as with any endeavor, but I think the concept has validity artistically.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snoop's been coasting for years, but he actually did have originality, talent, and grit at one point.

I guess I'd have to agree. Doggy Style was actually a well produced and highly creative album. Don't really know about the rest of it.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 15
I am not much of a Snoop fan and I guess Doggy Style isn't going to be going through my DAC as well.
wink.gif
I do like him on some recordings though with Tupac for example.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 15
That was BS. I would like to punch the guy that remixed this in the mouth..... Terrible.

The video made it worse. I wish this did not exist.

Bleargh!! I just started to watch Snoop's video thing... also terrible. Cash should never, ever, be played over a drum machine. And that's much, much more than "my two cents", that is an unspoken law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back