Johnny Depp: Can He Act?
Jul 15, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 23
All I know is, hes moving to france because he hates the government, and he gives weed to his kids because he doesn't want them doing PCP. So hes cool in my book.

Jul 15, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
BlessingX, in the history of the cinema, who would you see as a parallel career to Depp's? My first thought was Cary Grant who played both comedy and drama.

Thanks Chadbang. Your question though is difficult, 'cause the studio system was so different in the past. Actors didn't always have the freedom to hook up with any director or project they wanted. There weren't a lot of actors starring in a Howard Hawks epic one year, than a Doris Wishman ***** sci-fi adventure the next.

But certainly Grant tried. So did Gable, Tracy, Cooper, Welles (now there's a fun conversation), Kirk Douglas, Streep and Elizabeth Taylor. Lately I've been amazed by Katharine Hepburn, William Holden and Joseph Cotton (in this discussion watch Casablanca and The Third Man back to back - talk about different takes on the same story).

I don't know. Maybe there is no one like Depp, and part of the reason he gets as much credit as he does (without yet having that great role). Hate to reference the horrible Benny & Joon, but maybe you do have to go back to someone like Buster Keaton, who had that same flexibility to experiment. Usually we have to talk about actor/directors (Keaton, Welles, Cassavetes, etc.) to talk about such ground. Others certainly could, but...

Okay, I'm gonna toss out the name Dustin Hoffman. He was reportedly criticized by the studio during the early dailies of "The Graduate" as being too stiff and acting acting .
wink.gif
Hopefully Depp will get his "Little Big Man", "Midnight Cowboy" or "Straw Dogs". We'll see.

All I know is I finally saw "To Kill A Mockingbird" twice last week and it is amazing. If anyone is wondering how the AFI gave the role #1 spot in its hero list, see it again.

Jul 15, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #20 of 23
What makes a good actor? I assume that means all around, as in not limited to a certain genre, who can disappear into a role and still have it be extremely powerful.

With that stringent a criteria, very few come to mind. I, personally, don't even include the famed DeNiro's or Pacino's in that category. For me it is reserved for the likes of a Richard Harris (my personal favorite). Most of the time Anthony Hopkins, too. There are probably others, but those are two come immediately to mind for some reason. For young actors, I am very impressed so far with Joaquin Phoenix (much more so than his brother). Also, Robert Downey Jr. is a gem who never fails to impress me.

Johnny Depp is a very interesting actor though. He has made some great choices in his roles, and I have enjoyed most of them. And he is at least entertaining in a very good way. I happened to catch him on Letterman the other night, and he was hilarious. But it made me wonder how much he is really acting in his roles? Of course, he is empirically beautiful, which affords him a lot of slack from the Hollywood PTB's (powers that be).

Speaking of 'filth', didn't Depp actually own the club in LA where River Phoenix spent his last binge? *shrug*

Jul 15, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 23
Jonny depp is good actor, I havent seen him doing bad role, some decent, but nothing bad.

Al pacino can act ,but hes problem is hes acting is more theatre style than movie, if you ever seen the sheakspeare document al pacino made, you know what im meaning. Like Michael Cain has said, on stage acting needs to be big, on camera, acting needs to be very litle, to look real,not acting.

Jul 15, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #22 of 23
If you people think his performance in Fear and Loathing was over the top, you obviously know nothing of drug culture. I think johnny depp kicks ass, and I hope he keeps bringing us his unique rolls for years to come.
-Mag

Jul 15, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by KJ869

Al pacino can act ,but hes problem is hes acting is more theatre style than movie, if you ever seen the sheakspeare document al pacino made, you know what im meaning. Like Michael Cain has said, on stage acting needs to be big, on camera, acting needs to be very litle, to look real,not acting.

Pacino used to act within the realm of cinema. Look at Dog Day, Serpico, The Godfather's, Glengarry, etc. But look at the last decade-

The Recruit
S1m0ne
Insomnia
Any Given Sunday
Devil's Advocate
City Hall
Heat
...I gotta stop, it's depressing.

Everyone has to pay the bills, but please turn it down. Sent of a Woman didn't work then and it hasn't worked in every damn film you've done since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back