john tucker couldn't fix my maestrobator
Dec 1, 2004 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

fliz

100+ Head-Fier
he spent a while trying to figure out what carlo had done but ultimately failed in fixing it.

He found something (a resistor i think) that burnt out which he said was made by TI and discontinued. He had a few lying around so he replaced it and it worked for a while before burning out again. It's specs said it could handle a 125v input john measured that it was being fed 155v.

His suggestion: send it to carlo and make him fix it.

anybody know where carlo is? i feel like i'm starting over from square one.

f

Dec 1, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 35
I feel really sorry for you fliz. I just wish there was someone else around here who even cared that one of Head-fi's *moderators* has left you in such a position. I can't think of any "personal problems" that could excuse the behavior you've had to deal with.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 35
That sucks. I thought John Tucker would have been able to take care of the problem.

Melos Audio Restoration might be able to fix it? Maybe. But then again they are trying to fix something that’s been modified or hacked depending on how you look at it.

http://www.melosaudiorestoration.com/service-01.html

Yeah there’s a lot of things in life that would take precedence over this headphone hobby but that doesn’t do you any good after you’ve put your faith, trust and money with carlo and he’s unavailable now.

I don’t mean to be cruel but to put this into perspective you must have about $1500 into this thing and little to no hope of getting it fixed without carlos help and he ain’t helping.

Good Luck

Mitch

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 35
actually i spent about $2200 with a couple hundred more in tubes.

i'm going to be gone for about two months as of this friday.

what do you guys think i should do?

1)have john tucker send the broken amp back to me and let it sit idle for two months

or

2)have the amp sent directly to carlo's house

or... would anybody (near carlo) volunteer to keep it for a while until carlo surfaces (in hopes that it happens within the next two months)??

the last thread about this was locked after i mentioned that i got a message on my voicemail from carlo saying that he'd fix my amp when he could. whether that was two weeks or a month from now, he didn't know. that's all the message said.

thanks

fliz

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 35
I am sorry to hear about your amp troubles. I know that doesn't help your situation. But I think it has gone on too far long. I don't know carlo or his rep or ever dealt with him so I can't comment on someone I have never dealt with. But in your case I feel you have a right to report him to the corresponding authorities. Take it easy dude

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
I feel really sorry for you fliz. I just wish there was someone else around here who even cared that one of Head-fi's *moderators* has left you in such a position. I can't think of any "personal problems" that could excuse the behavior you've had to deal with.

I agree. No personal problems short of death, a coma, or amnesia can excuse this. The previous thread seems to have been prematurely locked down. It was obvious even then that it's far from "case closed" status.

fliz, I am sorry to hear about your continued problems. You are doing a great service to the community by exposing this issue.

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 35
it seems that *somebody* is attempting to protect carlo's reputation from being further hurt by a thread that simply is a bunch of people saying how awful he is blah blah.

I really think that something extreme has happened, and that he isn't being flakey because of a lack of character. My only genuine complaint is that he isn't explaining himself at all. The one voicemail i got from him only stated that he would fix the amp, but he wouldn't know when he could do it (2 weeks to a month) this was ages ago and again his voicemail picks up w/o any rings just like before. I wish i had a way to contact him so i could just send him the broken amp and let him fix it when he gets around to it. I'd rather eventually get my amp fixed than have a $2200 paperweight.

I'm leaving thursday for 2 months.... unless somebody volunteers to babysit my amp until carlo surfaces, i'm going to just ship it to his address and hope for the best when i get back.

fliz

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 35
I wouldn't do that. You should probably hold onto it until you can get a hold of him for sure. Otherwise, your amp may just end up sitting on his doorstep, or sitting in limbo, and who knows, worst case, you'll never get it back at all. At least for now you have $2200 paperweight in hand, rather than $2200 of nothing...

Dec 1, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
and who knows, worst case, you'll never get it back at all.

If the package is insured, that is maybe the best thing that can happen.

Dec 1, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 35
Hahaha! I didn't think of that.... Good point!

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 35
Sorry to hear the news Fliz. I've got more than that in tubes I bought for a Maestrobator I had on order which I guess I'm never going to see now. Pity, but at least I can sell the tubes (If only I could remember all the details).
blink.gif

EDIT - One thing I wanted to make clear here, carlo did not take a penny for the Maestrobator up front. In fact, I offered to front him the money and he refused it until he had a unit to ship.

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 35
What type of amp is this? Pure tube? Do you have a schematic?

John

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 35
Dec 2, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 35
My 2 cents: don't just ship it to him unless you really want to never see it again. It could sit on his doorstep or be unclaimed at UPS/FedEx for 2 months and you'll never see it again. Of course, as suggested before, if you insure it for full value (or more) and have your original sales receipt to prove your ownership (or take lots of digital photos before you ship it, with serial no. and packaging etc. visible), then go ahead and ship it and HOPE you never see it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back