John Linsley Hood Amplifier completed
Apr 29, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #61 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Did you e-mail Shaun? He sent me this e-mail so if it's you then try sending him an e-mail without the spam filters activated.

Hi Mike,

I can't email a reply to Charles Franklin in the States, as it keeps bouncing back with anti-spam software.

Regards

Shaun

My mail server has been down for almost 2 days, and I was unable to receive any e-mail. I've e-mail Shawn now that things have been restored to normal.

Thanks

May 3, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #62 of 104
I wonder how does this sweet thing compares to Gilmore amp? And also I would be glad to look at schema, yet I know that there is something going on with dual opamps, but I suppose this is discrete design doesn't it? could someone take a detailed photo of the PCB from each side and populated with parts? please please
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2003 at 11:09 AM Post #63 of 104
I myself am very interested in this amp. I would love to be able to hear it, but it probably won't happen anytime soon. I've heard the Sugden Headmaster and I loved that amp. It sounded great with everything i threw at it at the so-cal meet. If you say this amp bests the Sugden.... its only rival in my mind would be the Gilmore V2 Max... but i don't know how expensive the max is, so i can't really comment on it.

I think this is going to be my next amp.... although I'll wait to hear more about the V2 before making my final decision.

May 3, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #64 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
I wonder how does this sweet thing compares to Gilmore amp? And also I would be glad to look at schema, yet I know that there is something going on with dual opamps, but I suppose this is discrete design doesn't it? could someone take a detailed photo of the PCB from each side and populated with parts? please please
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Glassman,

The Chiarra is a "single ended class A" amp. If you'd asked me last week when I was constructing Wordsworths amp I'd have gladly taken photos of both sides of the board for you but I've completed the job now and am about to send the amp to Wordsworth.

Next time I've got mine stripped (probably never) I'll take some pics.

Pinkie.

May 3, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #65 of 104
pinkfloyd... you claim the chiara bests the sugden headmaster.... could you explain in what aspects it bests the headmaster and how badly it bests it in different categories? Nothing too specific, but a general overview? thanks.

May 3, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #66 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
pinkfloyd... you claim the chiara bests the sugden headmaster.... could you explain in what aspects it bests the headmaster and how badly it bests it in different categories? Nothing too specific, but a general overview? thanks.

Hi,

When I originally said I felt the Chiarra sounds better than the Sugden the amp had only 250 hours under its belt. Now that it has had over 500 hours I'll rephrase my statement to "easily betters the sugden".

As a fellow Chiarra owner said in a previous thread "It's as if the headphones don't exist anymore & your listening to loudspeakers." I couldn't agree more. Most of the commercially available head amps I have tried more or less sound the same to a certain degree and they all seem to possess that very restrictive in your head presentation.

The Chiarra is a very hard sound to put into words but it seems to allow the music to flow without assaulting your eardrums in any way. It's portrayal and delivery of the music is just so natural, when I'm listening with this amp it's as if there are no electronic components connected to my headphones. This is more a listen to the music sensation than a listen to the equipment one.

I normally buy a piece of commercial equipment and immediately go under the bonnet in an attempt to make it sound better. Most manufacturers compromise on everything in a design to the degree they forget music is the key and not "cutting the cost to the bone"

The amp has upset me in a way as I usually tweak an amp and then move on to another one to tweak. The Chiarra isn't going anywhere, now or ever, as it sounds perfect in every respect so it looks I'll have to tweak something else.... maybe get to work on the car or something :)

For £200 including the PSU and a bit of work it's the headphone bargain of the century IMO. I dread to think what it would cost if it was produced commercially with all the marketing BS, the cost of staff, the middlemans cut etc. etc etc. probably along the lines of £1,000 upward.

Make no mistake, John Linsley Hood was one of the UK's top audio engineers and this isn't some el cheapo chinese design. I think the original circuit was designed in 1969 by JLH and the Chiarra circuit was a reworking by him in the early 1990's. I honestly believe this to be a true classic and it really does prove that we are being fed a diet of crap by the Hi-Fi press who rate complete crap components as a "best buy"

My only critisism of the amp is the case that comes supplied with it, it looks bloody awful even painted. Still, I know what I prefer.... a amp that costs £200, looks like it cost £100 but sounds like it cost a thousand or an amp that costs £750 looks like it costs a thousand but sounds like it cost £100. I choose the one that sounds the best :))

Pinkie.

May 7, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #68 of 104
A few quick comments on the Chiarra amp.

The amp only has a few hours break-in.... but WOW! The soundstage on the HD580's is amazing with this amp, and you get amazing detail but there seems to be no fatigue.

The bass, drums, mid, treble are all amazing.

Personally I always felt that the headphone sound was never quite as good as sold, but I am genuinely surprised at how fantastic this sounds.

This is from someone who is quite critical and discerning when evaluating things.

Mike you’re a star for building this for me. Also thanks for the extras
biggrin.gif

Mark

May 7, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #69 of 104
forgot about the non-ECC discount.... only 290 with instruction booklets, :p

now i need to go buy myself a soldering station so i can learn how to do it, hah

May 7, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #70 of 104
AIM9x

I don't normally like to hype things up as people buy on your advice and then can be very disappointed. But for me this amp is really that good. Not sure how it would sound with different headphones. With the HD580 is sounds amazing and you can see why so many magazines rate these headphones. It is just a case they need a really good amp to go with them. In constrast the A1000 fair less well. These phones sound great direct out of a device or via a meta standard amp, but with the chiarra they are just not as good as the HD580. In fact I feel that there is a fair distance between these 2 headphones. This could be because of the detail from the Chiarra means that a headphone benefits from a wider soundstange. That is not to say that the A1000 does nto sound good with the Chiarra but for my money the HD580 really sings with the Chiarra.

If you do go for this amp AIM9x remember to apply PinkFloyd's upgrades to get the best out of it. I am sure you won't be disappointed, I only wish you could hear it first without having to make the leap. By the way I am not sure how good you are with a soldering iron but I am pretty poor so I left it to a professional to make sure I got the best out of the amp.

Good luck with any future build of this amp and power supply.

Wordsworth

May 7, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #71 of 104
never soldered on a wide scale before. Made a few solder joints for fun, but that's about it.

But i learn quickly... I learned how to juggle in a little over an hour. Two weeks later, I could juggle for about 3 minutes straight. Soldering is just like juggling, except that there's only two balls; one of them being really really hot, and the other one being pretty darned expensive.

oh, and i think by the time i have the chiarra built, i'll have a pair of DT-880s.

May 8, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #72 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
never soldered on a wide scale before. Made a few solder joints for fun, but that's about it.

But i learn quickly... I learned how to juggle in a little over an hour. Two weeks later, I could juggle for about 3 minutes straight. Soldering is just like juggling, except that there's only two balls; one of them being really really hot, and the other one being pretty darned expensive.

oh, and i think by the time i have the chiarra built, i'll have a pair of DT-880s.

Hi AIM9x,

I strongly advise you don't have a go at this kit unless you have a solid grounding in electronics and are fully conversant with a soldering iron.

This kit isn't a "painting by numbers" effort and you run the risk of wasting your money big time if you have no experience of soldering, circuit diagrams, component ID etc etc... It is not easy to build if you don't know anything about electronics and requires a lot more than a soldering iron to complete the task.

It takes a multitude of skills from soldering to spray painting to get this amp up and running and I strongly suggest you desist unless you are 100% confident......... It really isn't as easy as it looks and certainly isn't an easy job for somebody that doesn't know how to solder.

Pinkie.

May 8, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #73 of 104
Looking at the Chiarra I agree with el pinkie. Better than looking at crispy brown bits which were once caps...

Try some basic CMOYs or METAs using non high grade compoents first. Making and modding these designs is comparatively effortless and helps you hone your spot soldering skills.

Nice amp, by the way. I'll be building another (regular) WAD soon for a friend if I have time. I'm also curious to do this as I never found out what one of these properly built sounded like as delivered. But one of those JLH units looks interesting. There was also a German (?) two-box single-ended class A I spotted that seemed similar, although that looked even less of a kit.

May 9, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #74 of 104
but i'll be juggling crispy brown bits... really well too,
biggrin.gif

I'm going to have to learn some good soldering practice soon. There's a soldering iron over at my electronics lab and I guess I could always practice w/random resistors over there. Take some PCBs and make a Cmoy with industrial grade parts & random opamps, :p

May 9, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #75 of 104
This does sound like the amp. When my wallet allows, I may be considering this seriously. A couple of questions.

First, since I am in the US, does anybody know of a US dealer providing this amp, or is this something Hart put together?

Secondly, am I nuts, or does it look like the price for simply the amp w/ encolsure and no ps is £108.99? Has this been reduced or what?

At just over £200 for both amp and ps, that is not as intimidating as it was before.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back