John Linsley Hood Amplifier completed
Mar 18, 2003 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just finished building the John Linsley hood Chiarra amp and Andante power supply and initial listening tests are proving extremely favourable indeed. I'll upload a full review to my website once the amp has fully burnt in but, already, rate this amp as a very high end piece of kit.

Pictures here:

http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/index2.htm

Click on the "Williams Hart Headphone Amp kit" link

All the best.

Pinkie.

Mar 18, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by wordsworth
Looks very nice, can't wait to hear how it sounds. As I am looking into a Home only Headphone amp this is one I am definetely considering.

Mark

All will become evident Mark... give me a few days to really evaluate the sound and to try a few different op amps out before I let you know.

As it stands, I have not heard a better headphone amplifier and if you were to buy this in a shop you would be looking at a very big price tag indeed.

Shaun Williams used to be managing director of Wilmslow audio and I bought a speaker kit from him for £300 some years ago and have still not heard anything under £2,000 in the shops that comes anywhere close to the sound of his design.

I think the same is the case with this amplifier..... I'll report back shortly.

Pinkie.

Mar 19, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 104
i can not get the page to load, it redirect me to the main..
confused.gif
redface.gif

m.

[edit] never mind....i was going through the wrong place......
redface.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 104
I assume you don't need the Andante Regulated Power Supply as that is £100 on its own.

To have it built is only £160 which is a fatastic price if it is Class A with the sound ot match.

Very tempted to order it. I also noted you comments on the speakers Mike as I need some of those as well, and of course a power amp to power them.

Mark

Mar 19, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 104
Quote:

I assume you don't need the Andante Regulated Power Supply as that is £100 on its own.

To have it built is only £160 which is a fatastic price if it is Class A with the sound ot match.

Very tempted to order it. I also noted you comments on the speakers Mike as I need some of those as well, and of course a power amp to power them.

Mark

Hi mark,

You'll need a regulated power supply that gives you 15V DC and the andante gives you 15V of steady current with no fluctuation at all. I really don't think you'll be able to get away with using a wallwart with the Chiarra amp somehow
wink.gif

The components in both the amp and power supply are first class and in a totally different league from the c**p supplied with most commercially built equipment.

If you have never built a kit amp before Mark then I strongly recommend you get Shaun to build it for you to avoid blowing yourself up. I could build it for you but it wouldn't be for a few weeks as I am about to build another kit for a friend.

I don't think Shaun paints the cases, you may have to check with him on that score. For the money though you really are buying yourself a piece of very high quality headphone amp and you certainly will not be disappointed.

I'm still burning the units in (Shaun reckons about 500 hours is needed) and the sound is getting better hour after hour..... I can't wait to hear it when it's fully burnt in. It's maybe a bit too soon but I'm going to plop the OPA 2604 PA op amp in to see what difference it makes
tongue.gif

I'll keep you posted.

Mike.

Mar 19, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 104
Thanks Mike, I wiill take into account the need for the power supply though it does take the cost to build to £100 + kit = £310 but hopefully itwould be worth the money. Would I need anything else beyond the power supply and Amp?

Mark

Mar 19, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 104
Veeerrryyy interesting!

Can you provide some more details on the sound? I understand that you're still in the burning in phase... but would be great to hear some initial thoughts as well as comparisons with other amps, what headphones you've tried, etc.

All impressions would be appreciated!

Bruce

Mar 19, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 104
Please give me 300 hours from now to report............

So Far so (VERY) Good

This baby needs a good burn in for sure but I can safely report this is one superb piece of kit.

It blows X-Cans and Creeks and Sugdens into tomorrow.... and it hasn't even burnt in yet.

I really cannot stress how important the first 500 hours are so please let me report back in the next few hours... as it stands, however, this is one seriously excellent amplifier.

Pinkie.

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 104
Quote:

Well I get my bonus next week and its seems I know where part of the money will be going.

This place is definetly cruel to my wallet.

Mark

e-mail me Mark before you make a decision.

Mike.

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
Veeerrryyy interesting!

Can you provide some more details on the sound? I understand that you're still in the burning in phase... but would be great to hear some initial thoughts as well as comparisons with other amps, what headphones you've tried, etc.

All impressions would be appreciated!

Bruce

Hi BDA,

I've heard the X-Can V2 , the Creek OBH-11, REGA ear, Sugden Headmaster and the Creek OBH-21SE..... all nice amps.

In the short time I've listened to the Williams Hart amp I must confess that it is the best dedicated headphone amp I have heard.

It still has to burn in so I cannot fully comment on its attributes at this juncture.... from what I have heard after 5 hours, however, it's a true star and an absolute gem of an amp.

Pinkie.

Mar 19, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 104
Thanks for the response... Even moooorrrre intriguing!!!

When you get a chance to formulate some thoughts after burn in, would love to get more impressions, the headphones you tried, music that you listened to, etc.

Seems like a very good amp for not a lot of money.

Bruce

Mar 26, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 104
Has anybody got any opinions on the best sounding Op Amp to use in this amp? It came with an LF353 in the kit which sounded less than ideal and I have since rolled in the OPA2604 and OPA2228.

The OPA2604 was a pretty major improvement over the LF353 giving more depth and warmth although I felt it also threw a slight veil over the detail and general insight into the sound.

Out with the OPA2604 and in with the OPA2228. The 2228 seems to be a great partner for the Chiarra amp giving the same warmth and depth of the 2604 yet maintaining detail and insight. It is the best of the 3 tested but I have yet to test the following which I have ready and waiting to roll in. Does anybody know if all these op amps will be compatible (direct drop ins) with the LF353?

OPA2132
OPA2227
OPA2134
NE5532

Comments appreciated!

Pinkie.

I've uploaded some more detailed pictures of the JLH Chiarra at
http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/index2.htm click on the "Williams Hart headphone amp kit" to view.

Mar 26, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #15 of 104
Pinkie,

Man, this news has got to have some people VERY interested in this amp. I can't wait to hear what you have to say later on down the line when you hit that magical 500 hour mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back