John Coltrane is simply transcendent !
Sep 21, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #16 of 57
x4! :wink:

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #17 of 57
I want to get into Coltrane, but all the recordings I hear are static prone and low quality--and that includes some of the supposed 'remastered' ones too.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #18 of 57
My copy of Love Supreme has the sax 90% in one channel and the drums 90% in the other channel. Piano kind of underneath. It's terrible and hard to listen to. Was this how it was recorded? Do I have a bad copy? I don't have any other "old" recordings to compare to.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to get into Coltrane, but all the recordings I hear are static prone and low quality--and that includes some of the supposed 'remastered' ones too.

Try listening to the music.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #20 of 57
Ahhh, that age-old question—well, maybe just under a century old. Great sound/bad music or bad sound/great music? Both unfortunate circumstances, but I know which one I'm choosing…

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm with you; it feels almost like you're a poser when you say "yeah i love miles, coltrain, you know..."; i find myself not mentioning them just because they're name-droped by jazz-deficient folk to often, but really, i just love them so very much, and that's how it is

I know how you feel. A long time ago I decided that i was a true music fan and therefore I needed to broaden my horizons. I went and bought several of "the" artists/albums to have accross many genres including country and of course jazz.

With the exception of "a love supreme" which struck a chord immediately i didn't really feel them at first. I could apperciate them at a technical and superficial level but they didn't get in to my soul like they do now.

Ultimately it took some time and exposure to some of their more accessible music to sort of ease in to it.

Sun ship and On The Corner are great pieces of music, but i wouldn't start someone that knows nothing about jazz there.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm with you; it feels almost like you're a poser when you say "yeah i love miles, coltrane, you know..."; i find myself not mentioning them just because they're name-dropped by jazz-deficient folk to often, but really, i just love them so very much, and that's how it is

Well, sometimes I have a hard time with the sort of canonical view of recommending music. Sno1man started this thread by talking about Blue Train, but I know some folks who'd say, "Why start there? A Love Supreme or whatever is clearly the better Coltrane album." True maybe, but then sometimes I'm like, "Why even start with Coltrane? There's tons of great jazz records out there."

Right now I'm thinking I'd love to get folks into Lucky Thompson, the saxist who is said to have inspired Trane to take up the soprano sax. There's some drop-dead gorgeous soprano playing on Thompson's Lucky Strikes, which is as good a place as any to start a collection of transcendent jazz. Of course, it's not unusual that we like our opinions reinforced or backed up by a community, but the seed is planted by getting used to hearing a new, unfamiliar name.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, sometimes I have a hard time with the sort of canonical view of recommending music. Sno1man started this thread by talking about Blue Train, but I know some folks who'd say, "Why start there? A Love Supreme or whatever is clearly the better Coltrane album." True maybe, but then sometimes I'm like, "Why even start with Coltrane? There's tons of great jazz records out there."

Right now I'm thinking I'd love to get folks into Lucky Thompson, the saxist who is said to have inspired Trane to take up the soprano sax. There's some drop-dead gorgeous soprano playing on Thompson's Lucky Strikes, which is as good a place as any to start a collection of transcendent jazz. Of course, it's not unusual that we like our opinions reinforced or backed up by a community, but the seed is planted by getting used to hearing a new, unfamiliar name.

That's a good point, coltrane, davis and others were influenced by those that came before them. But the difference is that they took that influence and then did something that's never been done before.

The best example of that is Ray Charles. His earliest stuff sounds like Nat King Cole or Charles Brown.

But I got a Woman and What I Say took music to places it had never been before.

What is even more remarkable is Miles Davis who did it not just once , but arguably three times with Be Bop, post bop and fusion.

Even in fusion he had Joe Zwanuil who learned a lot from his former boss cannonball adderly, but they manage to go far beyond...

To me that can be the fun part of what is somewhat scholarly is how we got from there to here.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good point, coltrane, davis and others were influenced by those that came before them. But the difference is that they took that influence and then did something that's never been done before.

I think the point was not about influence or significance per se, but rather about how looking at things a certain way always leads to the same choices. I think if you were to get a bunch of jazz scholars together and mention Lucky Strikes, there'd be a pretty big consensus that the album is fantastic and easily accessible to someone who might not be all that familiar with jazz. (For the sake of argument, I'd say it's on a par with Blue Train, but maybe not Crescent or A Love Supreme.) But it might not be the first record that comes to mind when making recommendations, perhaps because we know that people wanna deal with names they've heard before first. I'm just suggesting that doing that automatically cuts out a whole lot of great music and potential listening pleasure.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's true. It's like an endless ocean. Classical music alone is too vast to get through in ones lifetime. Jazz and rock could keep one busy for just as long. And that's not including the new stuff.

jazz and rock will keep you busy a lot longer. classical music has a filter that makes the bad stuff hard to find: the bad stuff isn't performed or rereleased. unfortunately the same doesn't apply to popular music, hence me only listening to a couple of jazz musicians and a handful of rock musicians.

Quote:

Ahhh, that age-old question—well, maybe just under a century old. Great sound/bad music or bad sound/great music? Both unfortunate circumstances, but I know which one I'm choosing…

that isn't a question. one of the options is just really stupid.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
classical music has a filter that makes the bad stuff hard to find: the bad stuff isn't performed or rereleased.

I understand why you feel this might be true, but I'm not sure I agree. Not only are there quite a few substandard classical pieces in circulation—usually recorded to cash-in on the name of an otherwise great composer—but there's also the problem of recordings of great pieces that are given lackluster performances. For someone being introduced to the music, that can be just as big a turn-off.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

By the way, I went and listened to some samples of Jazz In Paris volume 73: Lucky Thompson with Dave Pochonet All Stars. specifically the track, I should care. Good stuff!

Off tommorow to see if i can find any cd's locally. Great tip, thanks

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a huge fan, however his rendition of "My Favorite Things" on alto sax is one of my favorite pieces of all time.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I think Coltrane plays soprano sax on "My Favorite Things"—unless there's an alto version I'm unfamiliar with. If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear that version, too, of course.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I went and listened to some samples of Jazz In Paris, Volume 73: Lucky Thompson with Dave Pochonet All Stars. specifically the track, "I Should Care." Good stuff!

Off tomorrow to see if i can find any cd's locally. Great tip, thanks.

One down, millions to go…
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back