John Coltrane is simply transcendent !
Sep 20, 2007 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
I realize I'm stating the obvious but what the heck!

I was listening to my ipod on shuffle mode this morning going in to work. using shuffle is something i almost never use.

Anyway, after going through a half a dozen good songs from various artists on my ipod, Blue Train came on.

It is one of those moments that both makes you appreciate how great music can be and you are glad to be a fan and also sadly how mediorce most music is in comparison.

After hearing blue train i switched my ipod to A love supreme for the rest of the ride. I'm sure my coworkers wondered whey I looked so blissed out today

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 57
I like the most of those years` jazz giants, Coltrane and Miles are in 2 first places of course.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 57
Please, do NOT get me started...transcendent is such an appropriate word. It's easy to forget that that's precisely what art is supposed to be, especially when there's so much functional, non-transcendent creativity out there to distract us. And for the record, it's not about genre; it's a property that "transcends" genre or style. Coltrane certainly was consistently good at it, though.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is one of those moments that both makes you appreciate how great music can be and you are glad to be a fan and also sadly how mediorce most music is in comparison.

That's how I feel about it

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 57
I will agree that 'most music is mediocre' but there is certainly ample amounts of perfectly transcendent music out there. In fact I am consistently AMAZED at how many amazing artists and albums there are. Certainly enough for a lifetime of enjoyment. Enough for several liftetimes.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's ok.

x2
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

I will agree that 'most music is mediocre' but there is certainly ample amounts of perfectly transcendent music out there. In fact I am consistently AMAZED at how many amazing artists and albums there are. Certainly enough for a lifetime of enjoyment. Enough for several liftetimes.

That's true. It's like an endless ocean. Classical music alone is too vast to get through in ones lifetime. Jazz and rock could keep one busy for just as long. And that's not including the new stuff.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 57
My Favorite Things, Coltrane on Soprano Sax. Made me go get a Soprano Sax in high school. Poor Sax is still sitting on a shelf at my folks' place, bah.

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 57
When I hear anything fantastic, it amazes me all the more because there doesn't seem to be much in the culture that demands or supports it. I wish I could say that's a new phenomenon, but Coltrane or Miles or Dylan or Neil Young or George Clinton would tell us that it's really not. One reason I dig Head-Fi is that the audio obsession is kinda given to an equally obsessive level of music fandom, no matter how different what we're all into might be.

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 57
I recently had the chance to see a video of Coltrane on TV in the 60's playing My Favorite Things.

I was VERY impressed by the lenght of his fingers!!

This is no joke, he had very long fingers!!
Made me realised that this guy, with fingers like that, was determined to play and performed like he did. It was a plus he had and used!

Hope you have a chance to see him play on some video.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

He's ok.

x3 (or something)

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 57
i'm with you; it feels almost like you're a poser when you say "yeah i love miles, coltrain, you know..."; i find myself not mentioning them just because they're name-droped by jazz-deficient folk to often, but really, i just love them so very much, and that's how it is

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

and all you have to do is turn off mtv
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back