Joe Grado HP1000 modifications
Mar 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #46 of 111

Has joe indicated what these look like? I'm really excited about this.

Maybe like this:

I am waiting for my 4th pair of modded HP100 too.  Do let us know what you think about your pair when you get them. Joe was very excited about the new pads. He said the pads made his SR325 sound like HP1000! I can only imagine he meant black 325 with the HP1000 drivers.
biggrin.gif

Lol wow, yeah, "his" SR325.

I can't see it being a Chrome SR325is :p.

Just to add some observations...the set I sent in and am waiting for currently is my 5th set I've owned.
4 had the ultrawide cable, 1 standard, 1 was a hp3. All sounded slightly different. The standard cable one was the bassiest and darkest. The others were different in that some were more open sounding, some more closed in. I would agree that all exhibited some shout in the midrange, albeit nowhere near a John Grado.
My 5th set had a busted driver. I sent it in years ago for joe to replace with matched drivers. Not only did it return perfect but it was clearly the best set I had ever owned. Only difference I saw was a tarlike substance lining the inner part of the enclosure. $350 well spent.
My upgrade should be done and joe last week told me he would send it by the end of the week, so hopefully next week I'll get to add more impressions. Joe in both experiences was really nice to talk to.

He's now charging a lot more, I don't even know if he still have replacement drivers. Are they black or white? The rippled magnet podium thing on the back. With inscriptions on them?

Yes [that much better]? Wow, I really thought the Magnums were better than the HP1000 all along.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #49 of 111

Quote:
Has joe indicated what these look like? I'm really excited about this.

I didn't ask. He only said that the pads would let more music through. One thing I am sure of is that they are not going to be like bowls or salad bowls. He dislikes brightness in headphones and  is not a big fan of bowls. " You use them if you want ear bleed". 
He did say that with proper care the new ear pads would last a life time. How that is possible with foam I have no idea. 
By the way, they are $150 a pair! 
eek.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #50 of 111

I didn't ask. He only said that the pads would let more music through. One thing I am sure of is that they are not going to be like bowls or salad bowls. He dislikes brightness in headphones and  is not a big fan of bowls. " You use them if you want ear bleed". 
He did say that with proper care the new ear pads would last a life time. How that is possible with foam I have no idea. 
By the way, they are $150 a pair! 
eek.gif

This is incredible that we're getting the option of buying new parts for a headphone that is at least twenty years old. 150$ for 400% more details, better music output, for a lifetime, I'll be asking for my pair! What not to do for the HP1000 :p.  

Quote:
People sure are interesting creatures.

Who is it that said that? you? What do you mean :p. You prefer the Magnums? or you're laughing at my pads? :p

Ryuk in Death Note manga also said something similar. "These humans are so interesting."

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #51 of 111

Quote:

Magnum = RS1 elevated mids with baby butt smooth treble wiped very clean

Your description is not far off the mark. 
wink.gif

I would say the Magnum driver is an improved John Grado driver, which means that anyone think that they are paying less to get the Joe Grado sound will be dissapointed. To be fair I don't think Rhydon was aiming to reproduce the HP1000 sound anyway.
To give you an example, I have Magnum V4 drivers put in a pair RS1i. After a few months of use they still sound like RS1 (sound signature wise) but better.

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #52 of 111

Maybe like this:

Lol wow, yeah, "his" SR325.

I can't see it being a Chrome SR325is :p.

He's now charging a lot more, I don't even know if he still have replacement drivers. Are they black or white? The rippled magnet podium thing on the back. With inscriptions on them?

Yes [that much better]? Wow, I really thought the Magnums were better than the HP1000 all along.

Yes I know he is charging more. He currently is finishing my set for his latest upgrade, as I mentioned before.

He said the pads look the same, but allow higher output.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #53 of 111

Quote:
To be fair I don't think Rhydon was aiming to reproduce the HP1000 sound anyway.

Exactly.  Rhydon is about improving the Jon Grado sig, not making a Joe Grado HPx.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #54 of 111

Quote:
Exactly.  Rhydon is about improving the Jon Grado sig, not making a Joe Grado HPx.

Rhydon was out to find the best possible sound for drivers fitting inside a Grado carcass. He did sourced out the Primo DH-40 drivers of the HP1000 but these weren't available anymore. He tried the newer models (in the lines of the DH-57 or DH-59) from the same company and they didn't sounded nearly has good as the HP1000. If he could have bought same as HP1000 drivers he would have started improving upon these instead. Since he couldn't find drivers as good, he picked a driver similar to the ones of the RS1 because they were fairly good already.

Pcf probably gets the same sound signature of a RS1 with his magnums drivers because he is still listening to a RS1 carcass. Or at least that's what I think. Again I have never heard magnums, but I do have read this whole infamous thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/269488/grado-drivers

Quote:
He said the pads look the same, but allow higher output.

I guess he found a special treatment for them, changing their density / porosity I don't know. Still I'm mystified and I can't wait to hear you about them. :)

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #55 of 111

Quote:
Pcf probably gets the same sound signature of a RS1 with his magnums drivers because he is still listening to a RS1 carcass. Or at least that's what I think. Again I have never heard magnums, but I do have read this whole infamous thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/269488/grado-drivers

Not entirely, the magnum drivers and hp1000 drivers do not have the same frequency response, they'd sound different in the same enclosure. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #56 of 111
Quote:

Not entirely, the magnum drivers and hp1000 drivers do not have the same frequency response, they'd sound different in the same enclosure. 

Well yes, because Rhydon makes drivers starting from a driver more similar to a John Grado than a Joseph driver (Joseph being the Primo DH-40 and John being something else). But listening to Magnum drivers in the enclosure/carcass of a RS1 sure helps in making it sounds like a RS1 driver :wink:. All I'm saying is that you would put (for example) the Magnums inside a SR60i and it would sound more like a SR60i, but always better and the drivers of the SR60i, because the Magnum driver is slightly superior to the drivers made by John Grado.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #57 of 111
Altough the mods for the HP-1000 are interesting,i wouldn't be able to bring myself to shipping mine,call me paranoid but,i'd be to affraid to get a terrifiing phone call of the,we're sorry but we seem to have lost your package,please accept our apologies,nature

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #58 of 111
You write "pay extra attention" on the box.

:p

Or you send it in a refrigerator box, so that it doesn't gets lost. But you have to pay for it.

My HP1000 arrived in its box, in a box, in a box, in a box. With bubble wrap after each layer. It was quite heavy and big, but so much fun to unbox... the package itself was not as easy to loose as a letter.

I don't think the odds of loosing a package are so high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back