Joe Grado HP 1000 sells for $1701
Oct 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 68
There is a thread here on H.Fi from a fellow in Italy (Nik?) who not only sent them to Joe to be sure his pair were within specs.......then went a step further because Joe has come up with a way to mod. his original production (that entire process is where the $2k reference came in). Suggest you all read the thread and enjoy.
Unfortunately, I sent mine to Joe before he had came up with/found the modification. I feel they only become collector pieces when it is one of the rare samples that still have their printing intact. He is beginning to run out of some of the orig. parts. I got the last of his best cables. During our conversation he didn't think he had any of the cables - then continued to search while we were talking ......and came up with his last one.
BTW - you never know the true worth of a pair until you have heard that particular pair (because of aging/wear and tear). ......as far as a pair you will use - the state of the printing means - nothing. To suggest these headphones are somehow inferior to the newest models by any and all makers is patently wrong.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a thread here on H.Fi from a fellow in Italy (Nik?) who not only sent them to Joe to be sure his pair were within specs.......then went a step further because Joe has come up with a way to mod. his original production (that entire process is where the $2k reference came in). Suggest you all read the thread and enjoy.
Unfortunately, I sent mine to Joe before he had came up with/found the modification. I feel they only become collector pieces when it is one of the rare samples that still have their printing intact. He is beginning to run out of some of the orig. parts. I got the last of his best cables. During our conversation he didn't think he had any of the cables - then continued to search while we were talking ......and came up with his last one.
BTW - you never know the true worth of a pair until you have heard that particular pair (because of aging/wear and tear). ......as far as a pair you will use - the state of the printing means - nothing. To suggest these headphones are somehow inferior to the newest models by any and all makers is patently wrong.

Wow. I would love to read that thread. I will post it if I find. Others should look to.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #19 of 68
Can't comment on the price, but would it kill the sellers to throw on a new pair of bowls or flats, even for the sake of pictures? Most of the vintage grado phones I see tend be sold with deteriorating pads.

Very cool pair of cans, though.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #20 of 68
Congrats to whoever won them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 68
Oct 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #22 of 68
The more I listen to the HP-2s - the more I think they share the "best headphone ever" spot for my taste with the K-1000s. I think they are well worth it. Truly one of a kind that hasn't been reproduced by the new stuff and probably never will.

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #24 of 68
Beauty is in the ear of the be-holder. I have one pair that was "tuned" by Joe in 07' and another pair from Audiogon. With the right amp pairing (Micro-Zotl is my fave!) I can't find much to fault with the playback.

Listening doesn't highlight any one aspect of the performance like modern phones can. It simmers the whole body of work into a COHESIVE performance, that's what makes it special to me...Opera anyone?

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 68
Sometimes. German, Ital., French, or all? Did you ever notice the Met. Opera DVD of Carmen the Eng. subs say the gals work in a cigarette factory - instead of Cigars. Maddening........to those of us who like to light up an Oliva V, Fuente Hemingway, Padron Aniversario '64, etc.............oops, I digressed

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #29 of 68
Annoying question this is, if they are so great, why did he stop making them?

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #30 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobra_verde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I found the seller's story of receiving the HP-1s from a dead uncle suspicious. I've given my wife instructions to bury me with my HP-2s.

I see you have both the HP2 and the new PS1000; which do you prefer and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back