Joblessness and depression
Jun 19, 2003 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
Well, I had spent my previous 22 years of life thinking a college degree actually meant something and that I would be able to find work after graduating. Now I'm realizing that is simply not the case.

Anybody have tips for keeping positive in the face of countless rejections? I know it's a horrible job market right now, but I still can't help but feel like a real loser. My self-esteem and self-confidence are taking monster blows. I'm in a real blue mood... I don't think I take rejection very well, and I've been getting rejected from even ****ty retail positions like the local crepe shop, a kinko's-type place, and Electronics Boutique (doing menial junk that doesn't even require a degree or work experience, both of which I have).

I feel like getting one of those self-help books to boost my spirits and my initiative. I'll be walking the strip malls now and praying for a minimum wage-paying, "like some fries with that?"-type job in the meantime.

Jun 19, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 45
you are not alone.

it's been almost 2 years for me without a job. i have been living off my 401k. unemployment insurance was used up a looong time ago.

so, what does your resume look like?

do a google search for job loss and depression I believe you'll find a lot of hits. <hit the hypelink provided>

just don't venture into the IT forums. you're likely to read my missives and be even more depressed.

support groups

Jun 19, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 45
Dude, I went through a similar experience when I graduated from Cal back in 2001. the job market was horrible (since it just followed the big tech crash) and while I couldnt even land a job, several of my friends who had already accepted offers were let go even before they started a single day on the job.

But, 2 months later, I finally had an offer, and took it. I've been working here since, from 9/01 to 6/03. You will find something. Hopefully, you will have the support of a savings account or a family to help you through in the meantime, but it'll work out.

I never had much luck with summer retail jobs anyway. Don't worry too much.

Btw, when will you be going abroad? are you just trying to land a job until then, or are you no longer going?

Take care man.
feel free to shoot me a PM or a call, we can go egg Crepes a Go Go or EB.

Jun 19, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 45
I was in a similiar position. I studied engineering for 5 years diligently and got a degree. I worked for a defense firm for 8 years under severe depression most of the time. I couldn't sleep, drive or do anything due to my depression. i found out I was bipolar and this was the root of my problems on the job. needless to say, I eventually lost that job due to unability to perform. I am now collecting social security benefits under their disability claim. I had to file twice to get it but they finally approved me. I am a lot happier now that I have at least limited income and am trying to find some sort of part time work to supplement what the gov't gives me. I feel really bad about going to school all those years and all that work for the degree I will probably never use again. You are not alone. Keep the faith.

Jun 19, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 45
LobsterSan
Yours is a very common story. My experience and I've had lots of it - is to try the Temporary Agencies and take anything as it could lead to a job offer. That is how I got all my jobs.
Also - in your next interview offer to work for free for a week just to prove that you can do the job. This has a twofold result -
whether you like them and whether they like you!
Offering to work for free usually shocks them but it proves that you really want a job.
I am self employed now and have been for 5 years - but it took a lot of connections in the right place at the right time to help.
Don't give up - go in with a sunny smile and enthusiasm.
Let me know how you make out!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 45
Offering to work for free for a week is a great idea. Hmm...I could send you a referral form for a job at OfficeMax, but I don't know if you wanna spend your days helping people decide which binder is right for them.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 45
I'd definitely try the temp agencies. After college, I ended with a permanent position, from starting as a temp. Sometimes you just need to get your foot in the door. Then you can look into their internal job listings.

By the way, your degree may be working against you when trying for those "menial" jobs. They want someone who will stay longer than you would. I was so desperate at the time, I applied a for a position at Banana Republics. During the interview, I remembered the manager asking me if I was sure I wanted the position after looking at my resume. Luckily I said "no", and left.

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Lando
Offering to work for free for a week is a great idea. Hmm...I could send you a referral form for a job at OfficeMax, but I don't know if you wanna spend your days helping people decide which binder is right for them.
biggrin.gif

Desparate times call for desparate measures - I don't think you can rule anything out when you are in this frame of mind. Let's help this individual boost his confidence. I have worked for free and it gave me new contacts which eventually allowed me to be successfully self employed. What have you got to lose?

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 45
you could always drive a cab for 80 hours a week, have to pay $700 in leasing costs and $150 in weekly gas.

let's see, you made $1250 (typical) and paid out $850. So you worked 80.5 hours (you have to bring it back for the next guy) for $400. That comes out to $5 an hour. [if you get a break and only pay $50 a day in leasing costs, that's $350 + $150 = $500. In which case that makes it $750 per 80 hours or $9 an hour. You can drive a city bus for $10 and a school bus for $12 (40 hours and 20 hours respectively)]. Then you need 2 jobs.

now that's depressing. you won't believe how tired one becomes week after week after week...

no heath insurance, no dental, no workman's comp, no optical, no uniform allowance...

i made the mistake of including my resume with my Fry Electronics application. I like to think that "overqualified" is the reason why I didn't get hired. Heck, I only have 30 years wiorking with computers, you'd think I would be able to give some good advice. heaven knows that I cost them a couple of sales.
wink.gif
i just can't bare people making the wrong discision when it comes to spending their hard earned cash (I'm talking hard working Joes like you and I).

A lot of Americans have more than 1 job. Some have as many as 3. That takes a lot of scheduling.

may I suggest Law Enforcement or Medicine as fields of endeavour?

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 45
Now is the time to develop your networking skills. It is hard at first but it gets easier with every call. There is a real skill to calling people that you know or have been referred to. One piece of advice don't ask anyone for a job, instead ask them if they know any one that may help you in your search. It is easy to say no if they don't have a position but if you get them talking they may think of a friend or a friend of a friend that can help. It is amazing how people will help you if you are not directly asking them for something. If they happen to have a position they will surely mention it without you asking. Start with friends that are working, your parents, their friends, etc. It is amazing how many people you can contact once you give it a try. Also do not be afraid to drop names. Say something like so and so recommended that I give you a call he or she thought you may know someone who could help me in my search.

Go to the library and read up on good pitches to use. Another thing. Once you land a job continue to communicate with people you met along the way. It is daunting at first but once you treat it like a job and work at it the calls get easier and easier.

To get you started email me your resume. I will look it over and see if I know anyone in your area.

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 45
Let's remember "life is choices" good ones and bad ones. If we're really lucky we learn from our bad choices. Let's be a little bit more supportive and not so negative!
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
you could always drive a cab for 80 hours a week, have to pay $700 in leasing costs and $150 in weekly gas.

let's see, you made $1250 (typical) and paid out $850. So you worked 80.5 hours (you have to bring it back for the next guy) for $400. That comes out to $5 an hour.

now that's depressing. you won't believe how tired one becomes week after week after week...

no heath insurance, no dental, no workman's comp, no optical, no uniform allowance...

i made the mistake of including my resume with my Fry Electronics application. I like to think that "overqualified" is the reason why I didn't get hired. Heck, I only have 30 years wiorking with computers, you'd think I would be able to give some good advice. heaven knows that I cost them a couple of sales.
wink.gif
i just can't bare people making the wrong discision when it comes to spending their hard earned cash (I'm talking hard working Joes like you and I).

very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 45
Thanks for the great advice and uplifting comments. I hope our jobless person takes it all to heart. What we all need is more help and less criticism you and got it!
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Now is the time to develop your networking skills. It is hard at first but it gets easier with every call. There is a real skill to calling people that you know or have been referred to. One piece of advice don't ask anyone for a job, instead ask them if they know any one that may help you in your search. It is easy to say no if they don't have a position but if you get them talking they may think of a friend or a friend of a friend that can help. It is amazing how people will help you if you are not directly asking them for something. If they happen to have a position they will surely mention it without you asking. Start with friends that are working, your parents, their friends, etc. It is amazing how many people you can contact once you give it a try. Also do not be afraid to drop names. Say something like so and so recommended that I give you a call he or she thought you may know someone who could help me in my search.

Go to the library and read up on good pitches to use. Another thing. Once you land a job continue to communicate with people you met along the way. It is daunting at first but once you treat it like a job and work at it the calls get easier and easier.

To start you get you started email me your resume. I will look it over and see if I know anyone in your area.

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 45
If the temp agency doesn't cut it for you, you may also want to consider approaching a headhunter. I've used headhunters for my last two jobs, and have been gainfully employed since 1986 (which is longer than most of you have been alive!)

Before you ask, the employer pays the headhunter fee.

Jun 20, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
If the temp agency doesn't cut it for you, you may also want to consider approaching a headhunter. I've used headhunters for my last two jobs, and have been gainfully employed since 1986 (which is longer than most of you have been alive!)

Before you ask, the employer pays the headhunter fee.

Dusty makes a good point. Get your resume to as many as you can. The more people that see it the better your chances are of finding a job. The better headhunters will also help you tweak up our resume. It is hard on a first job but try and stress accomplishments in things you have done. Your competition all have degrees so that is not a real differentiator. Tell them about something that you did that you are proud of.

When you get an interview do a Goggle search for interview questions. Prepare properly and you will be confident and it will show.

Jun 20, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 45
Hi,
I finally broke down and paid a professional Resume service.
They went over my job history, abilities, and interests and came up with a lot of angles and possibilities I had never considered when writing my own resume.

It cost me $125 and 2 appointments, but I got a much better resume, and a good job a few months later.

Also......
Don't get desperate!
When I think about the reality of actually working at some of the places I applied to.............
eek.gif

Ya know you wouldn't be happy and then you'd be in the middle of a job search again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back