1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Joblessness and depression

First

Back
1 2
  1. spaceman Contributor
    Quote:

Originally posted by brent_mr2
    Spaceman, I've been reading Dr. William Glasser's new book (came out in April of this year) and it's really interesting. He's been a Psychiatrist since the 50s and has never believed in medications. He believes that all mental illnesses are caused by various degrees of unhappiness.

This is true for some people, and I emphasize some, however, there are others who do need medication for depression. There are three main classes of anti-depressants, tricyclics, MAOIs, and SSRIs. A lot of people have an increased uptake of a neurotransmitter called serotonin, which can cause depression. The newer medications out today are called SSRIs, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. These keep more neurotransmitters(serotonin) in the synapses, and have little effect on the other neurotransmitters, thus the fewer side effects. IMO, and the opinion of a multitude of other healthcare workers, is that SSRIs are extremely helpful for a lot of people. One big myth is that medications are sort of a cop out, especially for men, but they help tremendously, and I can vouch for that from my own experience! Good luck! [​IMG]

2. wallijonn
    LosterSan,

since you are so young, and you are still in school (or just out), now is the best reason to go for a master's degreee, etc.

likewise, now is also a great time to look at trades education - plumber, electrician, carpenter, airconditioning (any job for which there are unions).

i've been trying to find out how one becomes a highway planner, an airport planner, a waste managemnet designer, etc. any job that deals with civil infrastructure. (somehow i can't see a civil engineering degree for waste management, but i'm probably wrong). these are the jobs at the city, state and federal levels.

then there are the home owner jobs: what degree does one need for digging water wells? building in-ground pools? re-paving driveways? replacing roofs? planting trees? installing new lawns? these are the service sector jobs. these are the type of jobs that you want to be the boss. you hire frunts to work for $5 an hour. and you keep the big paychecks.

look at who blows the dust off the shopping mart, removes the snow, unclogs the drains, etc. you usually get contract work. this is the commercial business services sector. big bucks.

i only lasted a week as a limo driver. i did the math (except that the lease was $440 a week, 12x7. i figure the owner is making about $500,000 a year (after expenses). it entails a large sum of start-up money. equipment has to be bought, then depreciated on taxes, etc. this guy is going through 2 to 4 drivers a week. they (like me) are the ones who are losing money on the deal. but his business is still up and running. he has a contract with a local car body shop - he gets everything at cost. why? because the car body shop is always busy. it's a steady business. you think he pays $25 for an oil change? no way. he has 50 limos. each one gets an oil change once a month. that is steady income for someone. i bet you that "body" shop also replaces his tires, changes his spark plugs and air filters, and does all the maintenance necessary to keep them running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

so now would be a great time to take business administration courses.

pesonally, i just might take that $250 a week job if it is close enough to a community college where i can take some courses. drive the kids to school in the morning, attend classes, drive the kids home, attend some courses. as a school bus driver i can't see working the 7-11 between shifts. but i can see it if i am taking law enforcement or waste management courses.

it's not as bad as you think it is.

now if you were married, had kids, 2 new cars and a home... then you'd be hurting. hope the wife is a registered nurse. (how about a male nurse career?)

best of luck.
    -wal

3. brent_mr2
    Quote:

Originally posted by optimist
    It's comments like this that create and keep the stigma about mental illness alive. Depression IS AN ILLNESS. Read a book about a person that's diabetic - do they have a choice - can they make their body produce more insulin by choosing it or demanding it or self talk. If you have ever really been there you would not be talking like this. Exercise, diet all is very important but once that is taken out of the equation and you are still depressed - now what? Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and sometimes medication IS the only answer.

I also hate the stigma that if you have been labeled with a mental illness there's something seriously wrong with you. I think everyone to some degree could be labeled with some kind of mental "illness" because no one is perfect.

Yes, I have been there, I was depressing about six months last year, infact I was on a medication where one of the side effects was "depression". I later found out that I was depressing because I was suppressing years of angering (I just bottled it up inside). A severe lack of sleep brought all that angering up to the surface and I got it out of my system in a healthy manner (not so healthy at first), everything got better from that point on. I also found out that just writing all the stuff that made me anger physically made me angrier to the point that I nearly lost control of my angering.

You say that "sometimes medication IS the only answer." and I wholeheartedly agree with you. I never said that you NEVER need medication. Your operative word is "sometimes", so you yourself said that most of the time it's not needed. But I've seen a woman on medication for acute anxiety and she was still a mess, she was shaking and living in constant worry and fear. I couldn't even imagine going through life like that. I just hope she got the psychotherapy she needed.

Since diabetes is a phisiological illness, it's not a fair comparison. Many people become diabetic because of their diet so in essense they indirectly chose to become diabetic.

Please read your PM. You might also want to read the preface of "Warning: Psychiatry can be hazardous to your mental health" by Dr. William Glasser, it will only take you about 5-10 minutes. Here's what it looks like:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/00...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Spaceman, there has been proof that a placebo of sugar pills has had the same effect as pharmaceuticals, many times it's all psychological.

My $2.

4. kelly
    Medication is just controlled chemicals. Do you like ice cream, coffee or chocolate when you're depressed? Know why? It raises serotonin levels. Most everyone self-medicates in some fashion or another. You may watch tv, read a book or listen to headphones to stimulate a type of brainwaves or you may just get drunk or have a cigarette. Vague generalizations and categorizations aren't very useful. If you want to argue the effectiveness, side-effects and overall success of a drug then we should consider: 1) the specific drug, 2) the specific problem, 3) the degree of severity of the problem, 4) other physical problems that may be related to or impacted by the main problem, 5) general health (sleep, eating habits, etc.), 6) environment. Trying to make a statement about all psychotropics or even all SSRIs without giving weight to these factors is, as we say in Texas, just pissin' in the wind.

I don't mind telling people vague points of my philosophies or which audio gear I like best but really, as opinionated as I am, do you REALLY think it's a good idea to give folks you've never even met medical advice? Learn some self control, folks. Leave doctorin' to doctors.

5. spaceman Contributor
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
    Medication is just controlled chemicals. Do you like ice cream, coffee or chocolate when you're depressed? Know why? It raises serotonin levels. Most everyone self-medicates in some fashion or another. You may watch tv, read a book or listen to headphones to stimulate a type of brainwaves or you may just get drunk or have a cigarette. Vague generalizations and categorizations aren't very useful. If you want to argue the effectiveness, side-effects and overall success of a drug then we should consider: 1) the specific drug, 2) the specific problem, 3) the degree of severity of the problem, 4) other physical problems that may be related to or impacted by the main problem, 5) general health (sleep, eating habits, etc.), 6) environment. Trying to make a statement about all psychotropics or even all SSRIs without giving weight to these factors is, as we say in Texas, just pissin' in the wind.

I don't mind telling people vague points of my philosophies or which audio gear I like best but really, as opinionated as I am, do you REALLY think it's a good idea to give folks you've never even met medical advice? Learn some self control, folks. Leave doctorin' to doctors.

I'm not giving any advice here, just simply providing some information on a condition that hinders millions of people in this country, and trying to alleviate some myths about anti-depressant medication. Also, I was not making a statement about psychotropics, I was simply listing the 3 primary categories of anti-depressants. Psychtropics covers a diverse category of drugs, anti-depressants is just a small subcategory. My point is to seek some help if depression seems to be making your life miserable. Oh, and I do get paid to give medical advice, its not just up to doctors, Kelly, and I would never give any definitive advice without a thorough history and PE, and a consult with my physician supervisor, if needed! Just pointing the way to other possibilities, thats all. Oh, and as for serotonin level. A multitude of substances can have an effect on serotonin, but that is short-term only. To manage depression, it can take 4-6 weeks for SSRIs to kick in for some people. Also, you just don't want to increase the level, the primary goal is to inhibit the reuptake, something ice cream and chocolate cannot accomplish!

6. plainsong
    Yeah I'm one of the jobless ones and I'm a naturally glass half-empty kind of person. I know medication could change that, but I like my dark side. I'm comfortable and dare I say - happy with it. [​IMG]

They just don't like hiring foreigners here unless they import you in. There's going to be a huge labor shortage, but instead of training what they have - bosses will look elsewhere.

Although, this is one rule that's true of Finns and foreigners -

You can't get work in Finland unless you've had work in Finland. - and idiot HR managers wonder why they can't find people. The people are under there very stuck-up noses!

Even my darker side knows there's a way out though. Free education. College is free - they'll educate us, but probably not hire us. Well, fine - if no one here wants to hire me then I can get that degree and go where they want me to go.

I recently got accepted to a Business Information Technology program that includes work (either here or abroad) in the degree, as well as the option for an entrepreneurial path. What that path does is get you those badly needed networking prospects.

So while I'm on my knees begging for anything, I know that it's not always going to be so. There are opportunities here as long as you're willing to put in the time, which I am. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit- it was nice to see on the entrance exam day that most everyone was in my age group of mid 20s to early 30s. [​IMG] If all else fails, we could be our own best contacts.

7. kelly
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
    My point is to seek some help if depression seems to be making your life miserable.

Then we agree. When I read the back and forth banter, between the lines was a "SSRIs are good!", "no! SSRIs are bad!" thing and in my view, solutions just aren't one size fits all and even if you dispense advice for a living, I'd rather you do the examination in person.

8. spaceman Contributor
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
    Then we agree. When I read the back and forth banter, between the lines was a "SSRIs are good!", "no! SSRIs are bad!" thing and in my view, solutions just aren't one size fits all and even if you dispense advice for a living, I'd rather you do the examination in person.

Exactly! As I said in my original post, I'm just trying to pass on information on depression, and that it is an easily treated illness with the proper medications and/or counseling. Everyone is different and requires a personalized care plan. I just want people to be aware of depression, and not feel embarassed or ostracized because they have an illness.[​IMG]

9. brent_mr2
    Yea, Kelly I was making some generalizations there. My overall point is that you shouldn't automatically assume a psychiatrist (or anyone else with the authority to prescribe brain drugs) is looking out for your best interests. By US law, there are no liabilities to the psychiatrist if he/she incorrectly diagnoses a mental illness.

Just look at this link and the other books that customers bought section:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

10. TimSchirmer
    Aside from temp agencies and things like that, it might be a good idea to go to a career fair (NOT job fair)

11. acidtripwow Contributor
    Dude, as stupid as this may sound just hang in there. I was let go about a month ago from my job. I was with the company for 7 years but they didn't care. Loyalty means nothing these days. There are still jobs to be had you just have to look for them. I know I will find another job it will just take some time and I will probably have to take a huge pay cut. After looking online it seems companies are asking a lot and not willing to pay for it. Forget about the days where companies care about their employees.

And try to stay positive. I have a friend who is going through a deep depression right now. He has a new job but he never fully recovered from losing his last job. He is going to therapy and taking drugs but it doesn't seem to be helping him. His girlfriend told me he is not getting any better and most days just comes home and stays all night in their second bedroom. I hope things get better for him but it has to be up to him now.

12. LobsterSan
    I really appreciate all the support and advice you all have given here. I'm definitely going to try out some of the techniques and networking tips. Unfortunately, I tend to be a somewhat shy person, so I need to learn to shed that sheen and just go out and make those connections. Reading all your responses has definitely made me feel better about things.

One note: Currently I'm really only looking for a summer post, as I'll be leaving the country in a couple of months to teach English abroad. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused -- but I will definitely take the advice to heart when I return to begin a "career" in what will likely be an even worse economy. Thank you all for your thoughtful comments!

13. JMedeiros Contributor
    LobsterSan-
    I've been there and I know it's not fun. Like others have said, just keep pushing on and go at each interview as the top candidate that you know you are.

In the meantime, temping is a possibility. I am also a huge eBay advocate as a place to earn money. My 7 years there has proved to me that there is a buyer for everything. Look around your dwelling...what can you part with...hit garage sales and flea markets. My favorite way of finding items to sell is by shopping the Buy it Nows and whats ending. I find great bargains that I can take a better photo of , advertize in the proper online forums and double my money on.
    John

14. arethamorce
    Hello, I was just looking around and went across this thread. I was diagnosed to have severe depression 4 years ago and tried almost everything out there that "could" help. The only medication that worked best for me is medical cannabis. I perfectly understand that it's not legal everywhere. At first, I was doubtful so I started doing my own research and read articles about marijuana. I found out that each marijuana strain has different uses for different diseases. Like this strain https://www.gyo.green/greenhouse-seed-co-white-widow-ghs-www-f.html This one is very effective when it comes to stress and anxiety. Just sharing, have a nice day to all.

15. Spareribs
    I don’t know if this will work for everyone but what prevents me from being depressed and gives me happiness is food.

I travel to different cities just for the food. That’s really the biggest reason why I travel. Looking forward to eating the special dishes gives me a lot of excitement and happiness. Food is my life.

First

Back
1 2