Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Mar 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time I heard Newsom's voice it grated me to hell and back

She may well sound like a pixie on helium, but I've grown to really like her unique style - goes well with her unique music and production on Ys.

The idea of 3 CDs-worth on this new album does seem a bit daunting though. To counter that, it's good to hear about the high standard of SQ and lack of compression. And the 3 "professional" reviews I've read so far gave her 5*, 5* and 4*. And all of them reckoned this is going to be her masterpiece.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 27
Looking to be the album of the year for me for now. Didn't like Ys, so much but this has really captivated me. Can definitely back up the lack of compression, if anything though the dynamics mean I get lots of hiss with my ER4Ps when usually I never have this problem with anything but classical.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #18 of 27
RedSky,
Absolutely, I've been absorbed by it for the past few days.

I think there is a very slight hiss is on the recording unfortunately, it shows up to some small extent with phones that never hiss on any other tracks.

Doesn't do too much to detract from the experience though.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #19 of 27
After disc one the first week, I've been working through two. I'll give it a few more tries, but it hasn't quite lived up to one yet. It's good, yet a little meandering and samey. There are good stories about Bluebeard and horse thievery.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 27
I find the album a bit difficult to get into. I like it, but it needs more listening time.

Try to listen to the album while looking at this photo; great synergy
biggrin.gif

JoannaNewsom.jpg

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 27
I'm loving it, as I expected to. Still digesting but the vinyl sounds really good and there's some amazing songs and sounds on there. I'll be doing the 7 hour drive to see her in April! I was able to see her performing solo once in 2004 and she was transfixing.

May 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #22 of 27
Time to bump this thread – because the truth must be told!

I overcame my initial concerns of a 3-album “marathon” and took the plunge and am now lovin’ this new album to bits.  

Each CD is quite short and easy to absorb because the songs are so melodic. What surprised me though was that there was no filler at all. Even the more introspective tracks on CD2 have their own charm. My favourite of the 3 CDs is… whichever one is currently playing.

Compared to the still wonderful Ys, HOOM is more intimate, with more piano and less orchestra. HOOM also has a greater selection of occasional backing instruments, like a horn section would you believe. The harp is still there in good form. Joanna also tones down her girlie vocals to give a more normal presentation, with a wider range of vocal ability.

Anything else worthy of praise? Yes, plenty:  The packaging is nice, with a solid cardboard box containing the 3 CDs and a decent booklet. JN also seems to have had an image makeover. Each inner sleeve has an elegant b&w photo of her showing off her long, slim legs. To counter my earlier joking comparison to a pixie, I’m pleased to see that she is all woman.  Oh, and the sound quality is very good indeed. I think that just about covers all bases.

If you’re new to JN, you need to take note of various comments in this thread about her vocal presentation. Just learn to love it as part of her unique talent and charm. Also, anyone with the attention span of a newt should know that she allows her songs to breath and blossom. For example, with the lovely 9-minute Baby Birch track, it takes over 3 minutes before you get to the first chorus, and a further 3+ minutes before the backing vocals come in. Enough. Stop faffing around and go buy what is, probably, the best album of 2010 so far.   

May 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #23 of 27
Seen her at the Royal Festival Hall on Wednesday. Pretty good performance all in all. Her voice is vastly different from when I heard her live previously, something to do with an operation or something. Concert was good although it needed to be a tad louder just for that extra punch - the sound was excellent though, I must say.

Going to stick HOOM on just now, for the first time in a month or so *shock*...

May 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #24 of 27
Whoops, unintentional post when I though I was correcting "Baby Birch" above.I don't know how to delete it, so I'll just add something extra:

I went back to Ys after a break from it for a while, expecting it to be a bit of a disappointment after the wonders of HOOM. Not at all. It was even better than I remembered - as if HOOM had helped me attune to JN's vision. For newcomers though, HOOM is easier to get into. Once you have, Ys will be essential.

May 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #25 of 27
I can't get into the recording.  I think she should have stuck with Albini.  The triple LP is a bit much.  A lot of the album seems to blend together.

Favorite track: Go Long

May 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #26 of 27
I really like it.  I don't think it's as good as Ys, but it's very good, nonetheless.  I really dug Ys a *LOT*, so that was a tough act to follow for me, but I do think HOOM is a fine work.

May 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #27 of 27
i'm still trying to get my ears around her new singing style.
it's very polite, especially when you go back to milk-eyed mender and hear her yelps on that album.

can't say as to whether i prefer the more refined singing or not...

but, she hasn't produced a bad record yet, in my opinion... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back