Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Feb 27, 2010 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Gberg

100+ Head-Fier
Highly Recommended... folk music, but also for any music lover out there.

It's her latest Triple LP (yup, I said triple).

Amazing the emotions she can strike with the melody of her music, and her voice (a pure, untrained voice that matches her style perfectly).

If you want to check out a few tracks to get a taste, check out:

-Easy
-Baby Birch

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 27
My favorite of the year so far (Gainsbourg's IRM isn't far behind).

It's a short triple album at 2 hours, but it's divided into three digestible, but interconnected albums. She's reined in her voice for those that found her a tough sell before, but she's still a bit quirky there.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 27
I am looking forward to listen to this. My concern is that a triple lp is a little too much. But, if it's quality all the way, then it should be okey. I think her album YS is great.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 27
Been waiting for months for this and I have heard it although I haven't got my own CD yet as it's not out until tomorrow!

When Ys was out it was hard to fathom how Joanna could possibly follow on from it, it was a masterpiece (easily in the top 5 of my favourite albums). Have One On Me seems to gather up all that she has experienced from her studio work and her live performances, and not to mention Ryan Francesconi's work, and progress with it.

Some stand out tracks for me are:

Easy
Have One On Me
Good Intentions Paving Company
baby Birch
You and Me, Bess
In California
Esme
Soft as Chalk
Does Not Suffice

Her voice is a little more "dialed down" in this one, which at times I think is a shame. For instance, if you've heard Esme live it starts off with Joanna starting to sing in a very high note and coming down, it gave you a dunt then you realise to remember to breath again - her album version doesn't quite get there. Her new "voice" does sound more mature and does have a lot of new characteristics to discover and enjoy.

I can't wait go get a proper listen though.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 27
^ Glad I checked this thread again before heading to HMV. Will get it tomorrow.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 27
This is a very good release, it reminds me of hifi Big Blood.
Big Blood is a very very lo fi folk band that I really recommend.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 27
Just bought it this morning on the way to work... now suddenly I very much miss the days of discmans. Where's the instant gratification in having to wait to get home and rip it and tag it, gah!

Nice fancy packaging though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 27
I'll be the first oddball here, and say I can't stand it. I gave her 'Ys" and now "Have One On Me" a chance, and both just completely rub me the wrong way.

Her voice is very warbly and sounds like somebody back in high school casually singing before they warmed up. And the fact that she is off-beat from the instruments realky irks me; it feels like there is no cohesion or understanding between her and the music.

I know these are harsh words when there is nothing but praise for her above this post, but I really hope I'm not the only one who feels this way.
confused_face.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My concern is that a triple lp is a little too much.

That has been mine as well. I generally don't like double albums, much less triples.

Thus I decided to only listen to the first disc first and must say it's pretty good, especially Easy and Good Intentions Paving Company. '81 hasn't worked for me yet. Maybe it's that she can no longer operate under four minutes properly.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 27
glad to see other head-fiers enjoying this release.
i started a little thread a week ago about the sound of the album.
as it is a major boon in the war against loudness.

the tracks have tons of head room, and an open and airy sound.
the drums sound like they were recorded in a room with a single microphone.
just a really nice, natural sound.

worlds from most stuff you hear on the radio these days.

wink.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 27
First time I heard Newsom's voice it grated me to hell and back. As much as I appreicated the arrangements and the poetry of the lyrics I just didn't know if I'd be able to settle with her voice.

But it grew on me. More than grew on me, I grew to love it. It is certainly unique and very "in your face" singing style but also extremely expressive and full of character.

I guess she's one of those artists who will divide opinion.

Right now I'm logging off and going home to give it a listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back