JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #151 of 1,111
How do you like the 1.5?
So far I like them. I had far too little time with them to give real impressions though. Soon those will come.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #152 of 1,111
I happened upon this thread as I was researching a potential new closed-back pair and have to say that I'm intrigued by these. I already have Aeon RT and LCD-2 closed (along with the rest of my signature) and have been looking at the 2022 LCD-XC as a possible way of combining the bass heft and grunt of the 2 closed with the 'realness' of the Aeons, but it sounds like these may fit that bill. Is that s reasonable description? I listen to all sorts of stuff with a lean towards hard rock and metal, so I value precision and sonic balance, but the bassist in me requires guts to the sound as well
Just figure out the FR you like (you have planars they EQ well because of low distortion) then ask for your XTC be tuned similar to that. It's impossible to dislike a well built headphone tuned to your taste.

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #153 of 1,111
Just figure out the FR you like (you have planars they EQ well because of low distortion) then ask for your XTC be tuned similar to that. It's impossible to dislike a well built headphone tuned to your taste.
You know, I never recognized that I ended up with all planars - it isn't/wasn't a conscious decision. I just kept the ones that I liked the most and this is where I ended up. I also don't really EQ excpet for some loose knob-twirling on the Lokius, so identifying a frequency response/sound signature isn't straightforward because I appreciate a variety of them.

Sounds like I should just reach out and see where it goes from there.

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #154 of 1,111
Hey I am actually looking into these VS LCD-XC and would love to hear what you think. Thank you!
I used to have LCD-XC's and gave my thoughts on how they compare a couple pages back if you want to take a look. TL;DR is that I like the XTC-Cs much more because of better tuning (pre-EQ) and dynamics. Technicalities wise, they're maybe a step behind in separation/resolution but benefits far outweigh what you lose in that respect.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #156 of 1,111
I used to have LCD-XC's and gave my thoughts on how they compare a couple pages back if you want to take a look. TL;DR is that I like the XTC-Cs much more because of better tuning (pre-EQ) and dynamics. Technicalities wise, they're maybe a step behind in separation/resolution but benefits far outweigh what you lose in that respect.
I think that has to do with how you asked to have it tuned. My pair was tuned specifically for air/imaging/resolution to be the strength.

Thinking about selling my Stellia for the xtc-c, i need some backup money and it seems like a great option for the price :) Basshead here :)
In all honestly I wouldn’t trade my XTC for a Stellia. Well….maybe I would just to sell it and buy another XTC closed and a open with the money

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #158 of 1,111
XTC^2 have been handed over to UPS. It’s going to be a looooooong wait until Monday.

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #159 of 1,111
A few pics of my new XTC^2 in white cherry. Haven't had them for very long, but I'm liking how they sound with the 'near scalpel' tuning. So far I've only tried the angled perforated leather pads that came installed and I'm happy with the fit and noise isolation. I was worried that the metal headband would be microphonic but it's not too bad. There is some noise if it hits something else but minimal from walking around (I used to have Meze 99C and they were really noisy). Fit and finish is fine, neither flimsy nor robust. I do wish the logo sticker had been left off the wooden earcups. The strap is pretty minimal, but my set only weighs 417g and so far I haven't had an issue with them. If you have a larger/longer head than average these might be a bit small? I have the rods on my ZMFs set to the lowest setting and would probably go down even farther if I could, but with these I'm on the 3rd. I could see someone wanting extra padding + larger head running out of space.

JM XTC-C2 - Copy.jpg

JM XTC-C3 - Copy.jpg

JM XTC-C1 - Copy.jpg

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #160 of 1,111
Your XTC^2 look good with the wooden cups. I don't remember the scalpel and near scalpel terms being used in our emails so John will have to chine in on how he tuned mine. I asked for lots of bass with detail with as much sound stage and imaging as possible, with a warm overall sound.

I'll post some pictures of my ^2 tonight.

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #162 of 1,111
Some more XTC^2 goodness. I keep refreshing the UPS tracking but apparently it isn't Monday yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #163 of 1,111
Some more XTC^2 goodness. I keep refreshing the UPS tracking but apparently it isn't Monday yet.
Like me refreshing Canada Post tracking for FiiO KA5. When Aliexpress shipper says fast shipping but it goes to 3 different countries then on route to Canada for 10 days from the last one lol

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #165 of 1,111
A few pics of my new XTC^2 in white cherry. Haven't had them for very long, but I'm liking how they sound with the 'near scalpel' tuning. So far I've only tried the angled perforated leather pads that came installed and I'm happy with the fit and noise isolation. I was worried that the metal headband would be microphonic but it's not too bad. There is some noise if it hits something else but minimal from walking around (I used to have Meze 99C and they were really noisy). Fit and finish is fine, neither flimsy nor robust. I do wish the logo sticker had been left off the wooden earcups. The strap is pretty minimal, but my set only weighs 417g and so far I haven't had an issue with them. If you have a larger/longer head than average these might be a bit small? I have the rods on my ZMFs set to the lowest setting and would probably go down even farther if I could, but with these I'm on the 3rd. I could see someone wanting extra padding + larger head running out of space.

JM XTC-C2 - Copy.jpg
JM XTC-C3 - Copy.jpg
JM XTC-C1 - Copy.jpg
Do you find the fit loose, tight, or just right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back