JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Apr 20, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #166 of 1,111
Curious why everyone seems to be going the closed back route?

Closed back just works better for me due to background noise at home. Trust me, I'd prefer open if not for that.

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #167 of 1,111
Curious why everyone seems to be going the closed back route?
Probably because good open backs are easier to get than good closed backs. Also the people that like wood designs will like having more on a closed back (although I have to say that shiny star glimmer open posted earlier looks very nice). I have both the open and closed. I like them both

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #168 of 1,111
I can't confirm personally, but DCA Stealth should have among the best isolation
Closed back just works better for me due to background noise at home. Trust me, I'd prefer open if not for that.
I feel that myself even when there isn't much noise with the CRBN and HE6. HE6 sounds like there is no damping, just totally open, so all the noise leaks in and out. CRBN is weirdly closed feeling because of the seal, but everything leaks in fairly easily. Makes me hear any buzzing noise around me in the ear, and confuses me sometimes because I think it's the driver or amp making the noise (since it does if I move my ear inside the cup too close to the stator).

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #169 of 1,111
I like the closed design for those times when my wife has the infernal boob tube on making for a lot of background noise, or when I don't want the sound blasting into the room and disturbing others. My RAAL SR-1b sits outside my ears but the music doesn't seem that loud so this works well in many of those situations.

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #171 of 1,111
I like the closed design for those times when my wife has the infernal boob tube on making for a lot of background noise, or when I don't want the sound blasting into the room and disturbing others. My RAAL SR-1b sits outside my ears but the music doesn't seem that loud so this works well in many of those situations.
The nicest isolation is when you put foam tips that are slightly too big (squish them then shove them in) on iem shells that make a perfect seal (you hear the air pop when pushing them in). Makes my ears somewhat sore, though. For headphones it's when the pad sticks to your skin and you get that air vaccuum feeling.

Apr 21, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #173 of 1,111
I understand the reasons and needs for closed backs, I'm just curious why most everyone in this thread is going closed. I'd like to try the open myself. Was hoping for more thoughts and reviews.
To my ears the XTCO I have trades some bass for some treble and sounds more open as it should (compared to XTCC). Not the same tuning on mine though so take that as you will

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #174 of 1,111
To my ears the XTCO I have trades some bass for some treble and sounds more open as it should (compared to XTCC). Not the same tuning on mine though so take that as you will
Would you say the open can be bright, bothersome, or fatiguing in any way? Or are the upper frequencies just more extended but still smooth?

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #175 of 1,111
Would you say the open can be bright, bothersome, or fatiguing in any way? Or are the upper frequencies just more extended but still smooth?
Smooth and extended to me without sibilance, but everyone's ears are different. I know people that can't handle even a small amount of treble for extended periods. I'm not hearing any sharp S sounds so that's good enough for me.

Apr 21, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #176 of 1,111
Does anyone know how a Harman-tuned, beryllium XTC Closed would compare to the Audeze Maxwell, Focal Bathys, or blu-tak modded STAX L700?

Anyone? :)

Also, has anyone ordered XTC cans to Europe? Wondering about the shipping costs and times, how much we could retune ourselves without shipping the headphones back, etc.

It would also be good to have more clarity on the difference between the standard XTC, the XTC^1.5 and the XTC^2, since the prices scale up pretty quickly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #177 of 1,111
The shipping is fixed for people who live outside USA. I think its like $55 or maybe $58. I have been interested in the XTC too and people here keep referring to their XTC- is it XTC or XTC^1.5 or XTC^2 that people here are referring too? When I emailed John Massaria he said he could tune them with little bass or mid bass or thunderous bass- details are an issue for me too since I don't like too much sibilance and he said none of his tunings have sibilance at all. The scalpel tuning he said is good for mixing or critical listening and not great for everyday driver so he suggested warm yet detailed or near scalpel tuning. IDK. I placed my order for the XTC^1.5. for warm yet detailed with mild bass hump. I'm in NY and I asked if I could visit his shop and he said yes- one day when he is ready. But I just ordered and know its easy to communicate with John.

Apr 21, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #178 of 1,111
Also, has anyone ordered XTC cans to Europe? Wondering about the shipping costs and times, how much we could retune ourselves without shipping the headphones back, etc.
I have XTC O, I live in Italy
The shipping is fixed for people who live outside USA. I think its like $55 or maybe $58. I have been interested in the XTC too and people here keep referring to their XTC- is it XTC or XTC^1.5 or XTC^2 that people here are referring too? When I emailed John Massaria he said he could tune them with little bass or mid bass or thunderous bass- details are an issue for me too since I don't like too much sibilance and he said none of his tunings have sibilance at all. The scalpel tuning he said is good for mixing or critical listening and not great for everyday driver so he suggested warm yet detailed or near scalpel tuning. IDK. I placed my order for the XTC^1.5. for warm yet detailed with mild bass hump. I'm in NY and I asked if I could visit his shop and he said yes- one day when he is ready. But I just ordered and know its easy to communicate with John.
the shipping outside USA is 75 dollars

Apr 21, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #179 of 1,111
I have XTC O, I live in Italy

the shipping outside USA is 75 dollars
Thanks, I thought shipping was lower at €58. 🤔

Which driver do they have? Is your signature in order of preference? I see your XTC-O after the Verité open, Fostex 909, and Rognir, but I've read people say that the XTC are better than all the ZMFs they've tried.

Apr 21, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #180 of 1,111
Shipping may depend on where you live and the carrier used even with a flat rate. Like I've had UPS charge me a good chunk extra on things for no apparent reason. Luckily, it has not happened with John so far for me. Best to use USPS when shipping to Canada as they charged me $0 in fees or taxes, and Wise barely charged me anything (like $5-10 for currency conversion + transfer depending on the amount).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back