Jlab Jbuds J2 Impressions.
Dec 9, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #76 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what other IEM are these most comparable to? Are they as good as the ER6i (I know, asking too much).

Haha. I doubt it. $12 earphones aren't made to match $70 earphones.

JVC Marshmallow ($10) < Creative EP630 (~$15) < Sennheiser CX300 (~$15) < SoundMagic PL30 ($29) < JLab JBuds J2 ($12) < NuForce NE-7M ($49) = Altec Lansing UHP336 ($39)

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #78 of 214
So did all of you guys receive an email regarding the free jbuds? I've been waiting since 12/1 and still no email. Anyone else never get an email? Thanks
(Christmas paranoia I guess
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #79 of 214
I haven't received an e-mail on mine either. I've been considering sending another to them just to make sure, but I'm not panicking yet.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #80 of 214
no email yet but the automated response said 3-5 days to get a reply so they have until friday before i start worrying

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #81 of 214
automated response? I didn't get an automated response. Even that would have made me feel better, then I would at least know they received my receipt for the amazon purchase.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #83 of 214
I resent my receipt to the original address to see if I got an automated response. I got it instantly, but then felt like an ass because it specifically says NOT to resend receipts as that would just slow then down! It also says that items purchased before 12/10 would ship on 12/13. I just wish I would have gotten the auto response right away, then at least I would have had some peace of mind.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #84 of 214
I sent mine this morning and got an automated response. Only in this response, however, did it tell me how to format the email to them. With the address and item etc. Too late now I guess - hopefully they'll see my address in the Amazon receipt.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #85 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by fromthelane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent mine this morning and got an automated response. Only in this response, however, did it tell me how to format the email to them. With the address and item etc. Too late now I guess - hopefully they'll see my address in the Amazon receipt.

Yea, same here. I didn't see the full instructions until after I received the automated response. I ended up sending in another e-mail based on the required format
redface.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #86 of 214
A little update on my final impressions after ~100 hours of burn-in. I have settled on using them with stock SF 5 tips. I went back to the stock tips and flat EQ to try them out. Normally I add some treble to them.

Doing this they sound pretty bad. They did develop some more bass but still have less than both the SF 5 and Altecs with the same tips. The clarity never got much better after the first and seeming only improvement. I'm sure they seem worse since I'm am so used to using them with better tips/EQ. As before, I think the stock tips are best set aside and the phones need some treble to add some crispness and help with the clarity. A notch more on some of my players and a bit more on others(brighter ones).

With the tweaking I like them. No regrets, I will still get use out of them. I don't think I'll throw them in when selling a player like I did with the PL30. I just A/B'd them with the Altecs and they did pretty well. Not like going from the CX95 to the SF5 where one minute I think the Senns are pretty good and after popping in the UE's that thought changes pretty quick. I can go back and forth and while inferior to the Altecs and UE's they aren't disappointing.

I think their bass is their best feature. Well extended detailed and quick and punchy. Very good with guitars and good decay on the drum strikes and guitar plucks. Mids became surprisingly transparent and word legibility is on a higher level than the price. Adding some treble does bring out a bit of sibilance and the treble is on the hissy side. Other than a bit of decent detail on the high end the treble is the big weakness of them.

They still have an easy consistent fit and good comfort. The microphonics are quite minimal. The build has held up just fine. They are quite good for low level listening and the detail is great for $12 or $15 a pair. Other cheapies mostly do the lower the bass to get more detail thing. These have some bass and impact and give more detail than their price point.

No giant killers here but still believe they are a good value. Better value than phones like the PL30, IM-390, UE Metro.fi 150, CX95, FX300 but below the likes of phones like the Nu-force, Altecs, and CK7. Probably not for the "I don't use EQ" or "I don't change them" people since they won't get the most potential out of them. Cheap phones are cheap since they usually don't come with elaborate fit kits and they usually lack a bit in some way sound-wise(in this case treble) otherwise they would probably cost more.

Interested to hear how others get them to sound and their impressions.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #87 of 214
Thanks for the updated assessment. I'm like some folks here on Head-Fi -- waiting to run out and buy the latest and greatest at the first hint they are giant killer phones. Throw in an outrageously low price and the decision process is even shorter. We should know by now that we're chasing our own shadows, but heh, it's fun as long as it's not too expensive. I have four sets of JBuds2 in the mail that will be X-Mas presents. It appears that the bottom line here is that these are a competent/good set of phones for the price and a great deal with the BOGO offer. I look forward to trying a pair myself eventually.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #89 of 214
My first impression after about 20 hours of burn in being used with the Sansa Clip:

Very mid forward, need to be EQed for my taste. Bass is lacking in extension compared to my 2 other IEMs.

My other IEMs are the V-MODA Bass Freq and Philips SHE9500
V-MODA Bass Freq - I like these for trance/electronic/house, but they don't sound natural to me for other music.

Philips SHE9500 - Have the best balance, have similar bass extension to the V-MODA, and in my opinion are the best for everything other than trance/electronic/house (although they work for me for that). They lack sound stage (worst of the bunch) and don't have great detail.

Jbuds J2 - the mid is way to forward for me (burned them in for about 20 hours so far). They also lack the bass extension of the others (I have tried all the other tips I have and the supplied ones seem the best, and I think I am getting a good seal with the medium tips). Highs seem shrill, yet recessed (maybe I need to burn them in more?). They sound much much better EQed to rock or jazz with my Sansa Clip (I have tried sources with the same result), but still not to my liking compared with the SHE9500 with no EQ. I am waiting for my second set to see if they sound the same (very pronounced mids, lack of bass extension).

I am going to continue to burn these in and also compare them to the second pair I get to see if they sound the same.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #90 of 214
I ordered one pair from Amazon last week

Forwarded them my receipt right after and 2 days later

No response yet, not even automatic one.

I guess they are experiencing hundreds of emails everyday after this BOGO offer goes to deal sites

Users who are viewing this thread

Back