JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
Sep 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #481 of 598
Clemmaster said:
John said he could improve dynamics and details with an open source software but I didn't try it yet. I'll check and see if it improves the other DACs too (in which case the comparison would still stand).

Will the open source software work for the converter as well?

I have been having MacBook problems since I've had my Ciúnas converter. Just got it fixed so I'm back enjoying the music.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #483 of 598
I'm going to buy ciunas usb/spdif converter very soon, what's your opinion about it those who already tried it ? Are you satisfied ?

I hesitate with audiophilleo + pure power.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #486 of 598
  Cuinas owners still happy with their DACs? This thread has been very quiet recently. Busy saving up for either a Resonessence Concero or this JK Kenny Ciunas DAC.

Had both in the house and using at the same time for about two months.  Very hard to tell them apart.  The Ciunas has a blacker background. The Concero has more treble energy.  The Ciunas has the better bass Thump IMO.  both are good here though.  Really splitting hairs.  

I like the Ciunas better.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #487 of 598
Still loving mine here too!
Even more so since I left France and I don't have the LPSU for my Chord QuteHD (which is a must it seems!).

From my experience, the Ciunas is a better DAC than the Concero (richer sound, no treble edginess, better bass).

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #488 of 598
Nice impressions.

Prep, how about compared to some of the "big" players? PWD II etc? Overall, is the Ciunas a viable runner in that league? TIA

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #489 of 598
IMO, the Ciunas fell short of the NFB-27 is most aspect except richness. Yet, it was very close to it (much closer than expected, considering the battery power and price difference).

The Audio-GD has a more authoritative sound with better slam and dynamics. The Ciunas is all about delicacy and fluidity and non-fatiguing sound. Mind you, in terms of dynamics, it's still very potent!

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #491 of 598
Mako44:

Haven't tried the Audiophilleo, but I've been using the Ciunas USB-SPDIF converter (feeding the NAD M51) for three months and am very satisfied with it's performance. Sound quality is improved (to my ears with my system), not hugely, but enough to notice the difference when the converter is not in the chain. Given the 30-day trial policy, it's worth giving it an audition. The Audiophilleo, has been rated highly by many, and also has a 30-day trial period. So you could always order both (if that's financially feasible), do the comparison, and return the converter you find less pleasing with your system (and to your ears).

Cheers,

Bernie

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #492 of 598
Anyone use an external charger and had any problems?  After several successful months, I had one old charger die.  That happens.  After recharging, I tried a new one that showed 12 volts (500mA) on the multimeter, but the charge didn't hold.  Am about to try another.  I've been in touch with John, but want to be sure because it's major shipping each way.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #494 of 598
Thanks for all the positive impressions on the Ciunas, but I've settled for the Concero for the time being. I like the build quality and additional features (USB->SPDIF converter, upsampling fiters, remote) offered in the Concero and it works out cheaper with the CAD exchange rate compared the Ciunas in Euros so the Concero definitely trumps in the value for money factor. Looks like the Ciunas edges the Concero on sound quality but the presentations are different. Would be nice if JKenny offered a SPDIF output on the Ciunas.

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #495 of 598
Out of curiosity is the USB to SPDIF converter feature something people would use?  Seems to me that this would be only a feature that is useful if you plan on upgrading to another DAC and will use the Concero as a USB to SPDIF converter/bridge.  However, wouldn't it just be better to upgrade to a DAC that already has a good USB input which seems to be the trend nowadays anyway?  Most people are upgrading to better USB DACs rather than needing a converter for legacy or non-USB DACs.  Let me know if I don't understand this correctly as I don't venture into the world of high end DACs which may be primarily non-USB DACs.  I assume that when you use the USB to SPDIF feature you are bypassing the DAC section.  I'm also assuming that USB is catching up to SPDIF sound quality and is on par nowadays which could be a wrong assumption.      

Quote:
  Thanks for all the positive impressions on the Ciunas, but I've settled for the Concero for the time being. I like the build quality and additional features (USB->SPDIF converter, upsampling fiters, remote) offered in the Concero and it works out cheaper with the CAD exchange rate compared the Ciunas in Euros so the Concero definitely trumps in the value for money factor. Looks like the Ciunas edges the Concero on sound quality but the presentations are different. Would be nice if JKenny offered a SPDIF output on the Ciunas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back