JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
Jun 26, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #226 of 598
Quote:
Where did anyone say it's better than PWD 2? Don't think that comparison's been done yet.
Unless you mean Master 7 > PWD and Ciunas > Master 7, both of which have been suggested?

It's literally on this same page. A few posts above mine.

Shahrose:
"I like it more than the PWD MK2 (2.2.0) and it's very competitive with my main setup involving the Ref7.1."

Now... I guess this doesn't mean it's better than the PWD MK2, but I was just marveling at this opinion. The fact that the two are being compared on a equal footing and the price of the Ciunas has me intrigued.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #227 of 598
Oops, that's embarrassing - you're right of course.

Sorry, juggling too many projects atm (and I've got my pages set to short ones but I should have remembered that 'minor' comparison :eek:)

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #228 of 598
Quote:
You'll need to download a driver for PC use. He doesn't specify the driver so I can't say if ASIO is compatible or not but since it's used in pro audio so much, I'd think it would work but speculation on my part. The unit does do 24/192 material. I'd email John to find out your specific question on the ASIO question. And please post as I'll need to know as well when my buddy's unit comes in.
biggrin.gif

PS, Welcome to Head Fi and sorry for your wallet.

Okay. Thanks.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #229 of 598
Quote:
Updated Foobar and re-installed ASIO component.  Thanks for the reminder.  I haven't used Foobar in a year.  Works with Foobar but not on JRiver (yet).  Will dissect whether there is a difference between WASAPI or ASIO.  I know there was a debate about this.  Sounds good though whether better or equal.

So, all good with ASIO then...thanks!

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #230 of 598
I just got the J.K. DACE burnt in for 50hrs,
having seen many positive views here, I had big expectations to it.
One things I am not that satisfied is, it sounds so powerless, I am not a fan of punchy sound, but its just not up to average. And the music instruments sounds so slim.
The good things are good separation of instrument positioning, sound stage is wider taller than average, clean DC power supply,good resolution, nutral , uncolored.

I have tried serveral DACs priced from USD180--1000, I finally keep the Korean made Audinst Hud MX-1, which is the cheapest,just USD 180, I found it the most neutral one, with good resolution,details,good 3d staging. The only weakness is the high freq sometimes is bit harsh, could be due to the unstable AC power .

currently, I m a bit more on the favour of Audinst than the ciunas in terms of the sound style.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #231 of 598
Anyone finds the same feels about the Ciunas ?
I have been looking for an ideal DAC for my system, to take the place of my Audinst MX-1, I thought a more expensive one could be much better, but this is obviously not true. The Audinst is not perfect , but so far is still the most livable one for me.

The Ciunas has cleaner power, slightly better resolution. 3D Sound staging, details and atomersphere are about the same.
Ciunas sounds mild, powerless. Audinst sounds energetic but not very punchy.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #232 of 598
^ would be helpful to know your other gear. Amp and phones/speakers. Thanks

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #233 of 598
Anyone finds the same feels about the Ciunas ?
I have been looking for an ideal DAC for my system, to take the place of my Audinst MX-1, I thought a more expensive one could be much better, but this is obviously not true. The Audinst is not perfect , but so far is still the most livable one for me.

The Ciunas has cleaner power, slightly better resolution. 3D Sound staging, details and atomersphere are about the same.
Ciunas sounds mild, powerless. Audinst sounds energetic but not very punchy.
It's being compared to much higher priced units favorably but we all have our own expectations. Could you leave it running through the weekend and give it another listen for comparison please?

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #234 of 598
Give it another 50-150 hours. Here it just allowed everything else to blossom; i.e., the sonic quality of associated equipment is important.(including cables if using speakers). Normally, I'd say "powerless" is a compliment.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #235 of 598
My powerless means the opposite of punchy. certainly not a good point.

my other equipments are

B&W801se, studio monitor, widely used by recording studios
SIM Audio MOON power amp
Cardas gold reference interconnect cable
IBM T60 , WINXP, FOOBAR 2000 + plugins
with 4 different types power cables as. options for power amp

I am liveable with the $180 Audinst Mx-1, it is not perfect, but i am so far quite happy with it.
Ciunas is in some ways better than Audinst, such as cleanner power source, slightly better resolution, but certainly cant take the place of it. I was expecting something much better, but up to now, if i can only choose one, i would keep the Audinst.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #236 of 598

my other equipments are

SIM Audio MOON power amp

I am liveable with the $180 Audinst Mx-1, it is not perfect, but i am so far quite happy with it.
Ciunas is in some ways better than Audinst, such as cleanner power source, slightly better resolution, but certainly cant take the place of it. I was expecting something much better, but up to now, if i can only choose one, i would keep the Audinst.
Nice gear.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #237 of 598
Very nice gear, I want your 801's!

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #238 of 598

my other equipments are

SIM Audio MOON power amp

If I wanted punchy - I hope you're using the wrong term - I would have purchased a subwoofer; the very very last thing I would have gone for is a high quality dac. I doubt that knowledgeable Ciunas buyers are looking for punchy (http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2079&start=80). But have you written to John Kenny to discuss your concerns?

Speaking generally, the problem one has with a good quality dac like the Ciunas is to figure out which part(s) of the chain are causing what. You've changed one piece and assume that's the problem, but maybe the Audinst was masking other characteristics, or other components were helping out the Audinst (I'd check the review of each for hints); i.e., something(s) is now exposed. Another thing: assuming this is a computer set up - and you didn't mention the nature of the computer - are you running the Ciunas straight out the back with adapters or using a USB cable? I guarantee you that there's a huge difference, and people using the latter are often doing so to cover for other problems in the chain. For advice on straight connectors, check my earlier post. Finally, for the quality and cost of setup you have, I'd try JPlay, including the ASIO driver.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #239 of 598
a subwoofer can not make the sound sounds punchy. i m not a great fan of punchy sound, what i want is just normal energy of music force. i go to live concerts, different concert halls quite.often.

My current setup is a result of a long period test, includes, listening room enviroment adjustment,
changing different computers, different computer power cables, usb cables,even power cable plugs,
different interconnect cables, speaker cables,.different software players, power conditioners, different loudspeakers, etc...

the current setup.is what i think.the most neutral , honest sound system, within my ability and the price range i can afford.

it could have a lot more possibilities of compoments combinations, but i doubt changing others would let the system with Ciunas in it sounds energetic enough, based on my experience.
i really hope Ciunas would remain as my choice
,anyway i will try more usb cables, i am still waiting for the usb adaptor, which could keep more music details. and i hope another 50-100hrs would make a lot difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back