JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 598
thanks for the link!
sounds like the Ciunas represents a nice improvement over JKDAC32.  
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #19 of 598
There is a reasonably detailed set of impressions from one Tony on page 4 of the thread linked by theSC00BZ above.

Compared to a Meitner DAC! Though no real detail...

Sounds promising - Tony describes it as a large leap from the DAC32.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #20 of 598
Quote:
There is a reasonably detailed set of impressions from one Tony on page 4 of the thread linked by theSC00BZ above.

Compared to a Meitner DAC! Though no real detail...

Sounds promising - Tony describes it as a large leap from the DAC32.

Yup... that thread started to roll over recent days. In short... great first impressions and should be available to order this week! Is it sad to be checking on a daily basis to see if he released it yet?

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #23 of 598
Fairly good notes from Claus in three posts on p.8 of the tir na hifi thread. Claus heard it as 'much better' compared directly with the JKDAC - the earlier, ESS Sabre-based one, not the JKDAC32.

Audirvana-plus "in integer/direct mode" had quite a lot to do with the noticed improvement. Comments are hard to interpret in places; e.g. in Claus' third post can't tell whether Audirvana was used with the JKDAC as well.

Still, some promising notes (more natural, leaner with less bloat, refined, 'calmer' [?] soundstage, "shocked to hear things I had never heard before", "a worthwhile upgrade").
Added to Tony's contribution on p.4, that's two sets of comparison-based impressions in favor of Ciunas.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #24 of 598
I have a jkdac32 and it seems to me that what it's described above are the main differences between jkdac and jkdac32.
Maybe the new dac it's different only for the usb interface.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #25 of 598
Quote:
I have a jkdac32 and it seems to me that what it's described above are the main differences between jkdac and jkdac32.
Maybe the new dac it's different only for the usb interface.

That's part of it, but JK also mentions this on his website:

[size=10pt]"The same low jitter clocks as used in the Hiface are also used here. [/size][size=10pt]These clocks are now situated as close to the output stage as possible i.e on the SPDIF output board or on the DAC board & are used to reclock the data signals close to the output. This provides the lowest jitter possible at the stage where it is most beneficial"[/size]

I just wish he would update the website with a realistic release date. The latest update of 4-5 weeks was posted around 8 weeks ago.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #26 of 598
I just wish his 'beta-testers' had contributed more. Something like 6-7 relevant posts from 77?!

Don't think this reflects on the quality of the new dac, for or against. Dac testing is tricky, and everyone has busy lives. Just reality.
Or maybe most the feedback is private?

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #27 of 598
I'd be willing to compare it to some DACs we have here in Cincy. John needs exposure here and some reviews by our members would give his product a fair shake. I'd love to hear one. But I don't want to buy one as I've got a good unit that gives me balanced outs. If it sounds like others have commented on it, it deserves some accolades.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #28 of 598
^ Good idea HC. JK just replied on the Tir Na site that he plans to update his website with ordering "this weekend".

Yeah there's enough good comment it's got me interested. He sounds like one of these talented engineers who thinks outside the box. As you may have guessed, I'm considering Hilo, Anedio and M52 as well ATM. Trouble is I'm a bit isolated down here in New Zealand...so I look forward to any well-done reviews.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #29 of 598
I don't have vast experience with DACs in general, but this one has me intrigued and I'll be ordering one as soon as available and compare it to my Anedio D1 and D2.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 598
^ excellent - I look forward to your findings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back