Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released
Jan 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #92 of 246
Think what you will, use the program or don't, it's up to you. I personally find this is an overwhelmingly interesting piece of work, that challenges my beliefs in computer audio. Discussion is fine, so long as it's useful to the community.

Fresh out the box, version 2.4.6SP is, again, even better than 2.4.5SP and 2.4.4. It has gotten to the point where the sound seems so natural and holographic that it's almost challenging to listen to some songs you're used to. Challenging, as in, it doesn't sound like a song with instruments and air all over the place -all the stuff you're used to looking for to determine the sound quality of a set-up- but just music flowing through your headphones. This might take some getting used to, in an odd way. Fascinating, really...

More specifically, 2.4.6 has an more laid-back and natural sound than 2.4.5, better staging (best 3D like sound I think I've heard so far), and bass response is even better than before.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #93 of 246
Think what you will, use the program or don't, it's up to you.

Gee, thanks; I was planning on doing that anyway.

Discussion is fine, so long as it's useful to the community.

That's why I took the time to make a lengthy evaluation of JEP against other players such as pkshan's Foobar variant and the Daum PotPlayer/ReClock combo. Wound up preferring the pkshan player, as I reported above in this thread. Hey, that's discussion, right? Don't know why it should agitate some people so much.

A lot of us here have been audiophiles for a long time, and I would wager that the experience for many has been that while improvements to audio quality are constantly being made, they tend to be slight and incremental in nature, rather than a night-and-day difference. The gosh-wow raptures about JEP strike me at least as being a little... well, I guess the term "fanboyish" would be appropriate.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #94 of 246
I wasn't exactly referring to you but I guess it doesn't really matter... My point was not to offend anyone. I am also just stating my honest experienced opinion here; this is hardly the first "minimalist" player I've tried. The earlier analogy to hardware updates seems to fit the improvements I'm hearing with JEP and its various updates. I really don't think the term "fanboy" is useful being thrown in at this point...

I'll just stick to the facts and technical details about the program beyond this point and refrain from any fruitless debating.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #95 of 246
Accept all kinds of questions, I know that many people do not believe that software can improve the sound quality, this is not important, important is you can hear.
JEP tries to use the most advanced software technology, from source to improve playback quality.
JEP is a unique, uncompromising, I know this.

2.4.6 has basic meets my requirements, but exploring the road does not stop.
Also, do not equate with a thief and I, this makes me very sick.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #96 of 246
What kind of testing do you use to overcome expectation bias when developing your software? What dac and associated equipment are you using? Do you think a dac using asynchronous USB would also benefit from your player, and why?

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #97 of 246
JEP 2.4.6 is trully outstanding. (Fred, I hope you managed to get some sleep, after all that!).

To try and describe the sound quality of this final version doesn't do it justice. It is ultra transparent, has a very low noise-floor, lifelike tonal colour. And what wonderful dynamics. 

ThinkSpace, I told you, stop wasting your energy trying to have a meaningful conversation with these people. 
This sort of behaviour is an unfortunate part of the world wide web, I suppose, but on this particular forum ignorance and lack of consideration has reached a new level.

To anyone with ears, Jie Extreme Player can only be compared with the very best in digital replay.

Thank you again. Jie Extreme Player has made this listener extremely happy!

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #99 of 246
These people? What do you mean these people?

I'm pretty sure that "these people" refers to anyone who isn't impressed with extravagant fanboyish hyperbole, and who dares compare JEP to other players and then reaches his own conclusions about it. Apparently, that's considered bad form by some JEP admirers.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #101 of 246
Hi Dredder, you did everything right. The author acknowledged your opinion. I understood your opinion and your method. Great.
Now just go away to another thread. Better start a new thread about "fanboys", "admirers" or whatever.
Do not spoil it for us who enjoy this player.

Thank you,

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #103 of 246
Quote:
Gee, thanks; I was planning on doing that anyway.
That's why I took the time to make a lengthy evaluation of JEP against other players such as pkshan's Foobar variant and the Daum PotPlayer/ReClock combo. Wound up preferring the pkshan player, as I reported above in this thread. Hey, that's discussion, right? Don't know why it should agitate some people so much.
A lot of us here have been audiophiles for a long time, and I would wager that the experience for many has been that while improvements to audio quality are constantly being made, they tend to be slight and incremental in nature, rather than a night-and-day difference. The gosh-wow raptures about JEP strike me at least as being a little... well, I guess the term "fanboyish" would be appropriate.

I tried Pkshan's player, it's pretty good IMO, very clear and incisive, but slightly flat.  I'm guessing I'm not getting the best out of it as I can't get reclock to work with Windows 8 as the developer has pretty much stopped developing it two years ago.  Also the link from the Pkshan's readme leads to a upload which now contains malware, don't take this as an accusation maybe the link was fine before but now the linked website has a download with malware (basically an installer that tries to install all kinds of junkware without premission, even if you try to close it, very nasty stuff.)  Would have been great if I could avoided this, or if you could have mentioned something along the lines of a heads up.

Ultimately Pkshans player with WAVOUT sounds pretty close to Foobar with direct sound, clear and detailed but slightly flat and lacking depth.  Musically I much prefer JEP for the greater dynamics and sense of depth.

I'm sure some statements of "best player ever" are fanboyish, but then again it is a free player, and one for which free unrestricted versions are available.  Please excuse me if I'm enthusiastic about free candy
wink.gif
  But to rain on the parade, that what's the point really?

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #104 of 246
Yeah, pkshan's distribution of his player is a mess, with a real PITA factor involved. I haven't encountered the malware problems you describe, perhaps because I've gotten the various iterations of his player from his website rather than through his readme here. That being said, the download links from his website are often screwed up as well. Lately, the first download link goes to a site that downloads a corrupted, unusable file, so you have to use the second download link that goes to a Chinese language website, but which does have the correct file. This is the correct download site for what appears to be the latest XA505 version of the player, which pkshan appears to have put up just yesterday:

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=2639&uk=3071736292#dir/path=%2Ffoobar2000%20XA

Did you manage to get this version or an earlier one?

I've managed to get the ReClock mod working with pkshan's player before, but haven't with the last few versions. I should probably give that another try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back