JHA consumer experience thread (Positive=Yes, Negative=No)
Jul 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #47 of 69

Funnily enough Westone will not sell their customs outside the US. JHA and most other customs manufacturers, by contrast, will sell theirs to you even if you live in outer space. I've often wondered why Westone wouldn't want to sell overseas.

BTW, the 25% I noted in my post 2 days ago has gone up to 32% (8 out of 25 people) - that's almost 1 in 3 people (from those who've voted so far) feel they've had a negative CS experience with JHA. Yet the only 'negative' comment we've seen so far is from someone saying that JHA "refused to extend me ANY kind of goodwill" by someone who felt they should've got a 15% discount on their second JH16 pair and someone else saying (after being prompted) that "the experience so far and the situation at this point; ridiculous".

These are only observations and I'm not suggesting people must give all details of their 'horror' stories, but I note that the trend/tendency to post about positive experiences simply continues. 

Count the 60+ people who have been yanked around for a year or more waiting for the 'it'll be next week' JH3A as negatives and the poll suddenly looks very different.

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #48 of 69
I'll play along.

I got my 16 through HeadRoom. They fit perfectly and I haven't had any issues. My stock cable started turning a little green. But that's a problem JH itself identifies on it's site. Nonetheless, I didn't like the greenish appearance of the cable so I replaced it with an ALO cable. There's nothing wrong with the ALO cable but I have developed a personal dislike of braided cables so I intend to replace it with Silver Dragons from Moon Audio. I also agree that these kinds of adapters are a singular point of failure and don't understand why the adapter is so common now.

Overall, simply because I haven't had any problems and the fit is good, my vote is "yes", for whatever that's worth.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #50 of 69
In 2009, I had a magical experience with the JH13. Everything was perfect was out of the gate, and I've been thrilled with these earphones ever since.

Jerry is a great guy. He is honest, and has good intentions.

The customer-facing people need to learn an thing or 100. They are Jerry's family and obviously aren't the best at their line of work. Having the idea that my JH3A would perpetually "ship next week" for the last 7 months has definitely been taxing and could have been handled so very much better. And now that the device is shipping, there are many things we were expecting that we learn are not there (since they removed the refund option) and there are still lingering problems with the amp programming that a handful of us have been shipping units back and forth for them to solve.

I'll abstain from voting since my experiences are one-and-one, but I wanted to share a bit since this 3A experience has left a terrible taste in my mouth.

Here are the things that changed vs expectations since they removed the refund option.

• Background noise was supposed to be "dead silent" or at least darned close. I hear a hiss with a high-pitched component that bothers me batty.
  • Volume knob has an unreasonable minimum setting.
  • Battery life went from 20 hrs to 6-7.
  • The unit can't be supplied enough power to be ran continuously.
  • Max sampling rate of DAC went from 192 to 96 khz.
  • I need to be careful with the "mic" option so I don't deafen myself. (I can deal with it, but really? That is like dangerous...)
  • My rust amp color selection is no longer an option.
  • The unit is now incapable of accepting flash updates.
  • The JH13 version is no longer an option -- only JH16.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #53 of 69
Quick update and bump.  Latest 3A CS tracking here.  Please don't post related comments there.  We are attempting to clean up the JH3A thread so all further 3A CS comments should be directed to this thread along with all other JHA CS impressions please.

Thanks folks.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think Ultimate Ears, ACS (in the UK), Earsonics (in France), Future Sonics and most other customs manufacturers offer demo sets.

I know that UE offers demos, at least at US meets and shows.

As for my JHA experience, overall it was positive.  I was generally able to reach someone on the phone when I had questions or to get updates.  I requested many refits for my JH16 and never got any pushback from JHA, and all of the refits were processed very quickly. 

However, I think they may have been a bit too hasty in making some of the adjustments.  Although I tried to include specific suggestions for how the fit could be improved, it didn't seem like my feedback was being taken into account.  After 8-9 refits and a 2nd ear impression, I ended up with a right monitor that probably fit worse than what I started with.  I basically just gave up in the end, hoping that I could eventually get my 16s turned into JH3A, but then that option was taken away. 

So basically, JHA worked to accommodate me but the attention to detail on the fit wasn't quite up to the level that I received for my ES5 and UERM, both of which fit almost flawlessly on the first try.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #55 of 69
JH16: Positive

Response time: Emails returned within a day.  My one and only call was picked up.  Polite and civil.

Turn-around time: Preposterously quick.  I live in Seoul, Korea and I sent my impressions via FedEx on a Friday afternoon.  I received the JH16s the next Monday.  This was very important to me as I am flying back to Virginia, a 17 hour ordeal, in a few weeks and I didn't want to be caught in between any potential re-fits.  Fortunately for me...

Fit: Great on the first try.  The right monitor initially felt a smidge tight (**important: they were never uncomfortable/painful), but after a day I couldn't tell the difference (some days the left feels tighter, some days it's the right, most days they feel perfect).  It takes less time to screw in my JH16s than it does to insert Shure SE530s with comply tips.

Craftsmanship:  A bubble here and there in the acrylic.  Quite frankly, I barely notice them and since they are all present in the non-visible part during use, I don't care.  I did expect the black face-plate to have more "pop" and sheen, but you get what you ask for and I simply asked for a black opaque face-plate.  The only part that does bother me is the connector; it doesn't sit flush with the right monitor, and has a tendency, over time, to be slightly pulled out of the IEM.  It's not a huge problem, it doesn't affect the sound, but it's simply irritating to look at.

Website:  Nice concept but gave little useful information.  From the time of purchase to the reception of a tracking number my website status simply said "pending."  It seems they were busy actually making my IEMs instead of being concerned with updating the website.  No serious complaint on this end; I'd rather have it that way than the other way around.

Overall: I'd order from them again.  My product arrived well-made and on time.  They nailed everything I wanted (fast turn-around, good fit, responsive CS).  

Perhaps after the kinks in the JH-3A are worked out, I will consider buying it.

Caveat:  The quick turn-around time may have been due to the simplicity of my artwork (none).  I simply wanted a clear body with black, opaque face-plate.  As always, your mileage may vary.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #56 of 69

Quote:
Response time: Emails returned within a day.  My one and only call was picked up.  Polite and civil.

What email address did you use? I've sent two emails to the customerservice@ address posted on their site in the past 5 days (granted, one of those was only about 24 hours ago) and haven't heard a peep. And, yes, I checked to see if I had a response that was flagged as spam.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #58 of 69
So far I have had a negative experience with JHaudio.  After sending the molds to them, my order page was quickly updated with molds received.  Then the updates stopped. After a month of silence, I e-mailed 4 different people within a week with no responses.  Finally I got hold of someone in the lab who told me the molds were received a month ago, but they would need to be made again.  The reason I was not told was because of some "mixup of emails".

I have since sent my remolds back, emailed the lab and they said the molds are fine.  It has been approximately 2 weeks now.  Probably going to email again soon.

The error with the molds was not their fault, but if I hadn't tried to contact them, how long would they have just let them sit there?

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #59 of 69

Quote:

What email address did you use? I've sent two emails to the customerservice@ address posted on their site in the past 5 days (granted, one of those was only about 24 hours ago) and haven't heard a peep. And, yes, I checked to see if I had a response that was flagged as spam.

Quote:
I emailed Brittany and cced Jamie directly.

I did the same and received a very quick response from Jamie. We exchanged a couple emails and I let her know that I had send two earlier emails to their customerservice@ address and never got a response. She wrote back that that was odd and let me know that they are in the process of changing their email host to resolve those issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back