JH5 or JH13?-Non-Golden ear
Apr 23, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 29
Welcome to Head-fi! Sorry about your wallet...
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, though. I haven't heard the 5's but the 13's are phenominal. I'd say that if you will get a lot of use out of em, are willing to splash the cash, AND think you'd really appreciate that extra clarity and definition to the sound, the JH13 (or JH16 if you likie teh bass) should be at the top of your list.
smily_headphones1.gif

I consider my JH13's my best investment in audio.

And remember... they scale up with better equipment! so I'd say they become even more "worth it" if you plan to treat them to a nice dac/amp. But lots of people swear by them right out of ipods.

Good luck!

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say go for the 13 because you will eventually become curious after owning the 5s as to what the 13s will sound like. Save your money and just go straight to the top.

I agree with this statement. If you are even considering the 13's and can swing the funds, do yourself a favor and just go for it and make the purchase. One of the worst feelings for me is 'what if I would have gone one level higher...' When you are talking about customs, it is a sunk cost for sure.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #18 of 29
haha how i wish 'the coin' isn't an issue for me too.

i haven't heard the jh5 but i have heard the jh13 and after comparing with my current triple driver custom, i could tell a lot of differences but at the end of the session, couldn't justify the price difference. they sound great! but i think once you go custom, the differences are smaller than say, universals. it could be since shells are usually designed the same way with just about as much headroom between all the brands.

my advice is that if you can swing the jh13s, do it. because after you do, its pretty much the end of the upgraditis road for you. reason being, at that level, the differences become even smaller. perhaps the only thing you'll upgrade on would be your source, cable, and maybe even an amp.

so as you see.. plenty more ways to spend your money =)

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha how i wish 'the coin' isn't an issue for me too.

i haven't heard the jh5 but i have heard the jh13 and after comparing with my current triple driver custom, i could tell a lot of differences but at the end of the session, couldn't justify the price difference. they sound great! but i think once you go custom, the differences are smaller than say, universals. it could be since shells are usually designed the same way with just about as much headroom between all the brands.

my advice is that if you can swing the jh13s, do it. because after you do, its pretty much the end of the upgraditis road for you. reason being, at that level, the differences become even smaller. perhaps the only thing you'll upgrade on would be your source, cable, and maybe even an amp.

so as you see.. plenty more ways to spend your money =)

This exact answer is kind of why I'm in my prediciment. I don't mean that the coin isn't an issue, of course it is on one level, however, if I didn't know the cost of either, would I notice a huge difference in the SQ to justify the cost? I ask becuase as you you say "I think once you go custom, the differences are smaller than say, universals." Would I, not being a golden ear audiophile, just someone who has always loved music in every way, shape and form, even notice the difference if I didn’t know the price difference? More research on my part needed......keep em coming if you want please and thanks for the repsonse thus far everyone...

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, though. I haven't heard the 5's but the 13's are phenominal. I'd say that if you will get a lot of use out of em, are willing to splash the cash, AND think you'd really appreciate that extra clarity and definition to the sound, the JH13 (or JH16 if you likie teh bass) should be at the top of your list.
smily_headphones1.gif

And remember... they scale up with better equipment! so I'd say they become even more "worth it" if you plan to treat them to a nice dac/amp. But lots of people swear by them right out of ipods.

Good luck!

This is the kind of comment that could push me to the 13's....Thanks...

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

x2 with the exception is that the JH16s are not just simply JH13s with an extra pair of bass drives slapped on. That's a common misconception. Sometime next week I'll plan to post a sort of mini-review from a reverse comparison perspective--I got my JH16s first and the JH13s just recently.

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either, assuming perfect fit.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by adktitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. Im a little afraid of "upgraditis" with the 5's. The coin isn't really the issue (well, it is, but..) it's whether my ears are "good" enough to notice the difference between the 5 and 13 to justify the large cost differnece. Would the difference be like between the apple stock ear things and a TF10 or more a taste of sound signature? I guess that is another question to figure out....

Put it like this, the JH13 Pro is a Bugatti Veyron and the JH5 is a Corvette Z06. The JH16 Pro on the other hand is Bugatti Veyron with a different paint job.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put it like this, the JH13 Pro is a Bugatti Veyron and the JH5 is a Corvette Z06. The JH16 Pro on the other hand is Bugatti Veyron with a different paint job.

ok, so following this, what am I currently driving with my tf10-null-amp set up? Just curious for you reply... Thanks !

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by adktitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, so following this, what am I currently driving with my tf10-null-amp set up? Just curious for you reply... Thanks !

A BMW M3. =)

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or maybe the JH16 pro is the Bugatti Veyron on nitrous...
confused_face.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #26 of 29
Thanks Sonic, for trying to put it into terms that are a little more "understandable". After I looked up all the cars you mentioned (haha, I know little about cars) it seems to me the jump from my current set-up to a J5 would be noticeable, but the jump to the JH13 would be gigantic. It does seem like a jump to the J5 would be vertical from my current set up and (hopefully) improve the comfort factor for longer wearing. I tried calling JH on Friday late, but got the answering machine, I'll try again on Monday (too see if there are any authorized dealers in my area).

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 with the exception is that the JH16s are not just simply JH13s with an extra pair of bass drives slapped on. That's a common misconception. Sometime next week I'll plan to post a sort of mini-review from a reverse comparison perspective--I got my JH16s first and the JH13s just recently.

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either, assuming perfect fit.

Yessss, please post a thorough comparison of these 2. I'm looking forward to this! I just ordered JH16s so there's kinda no turning back for me, but I am hoping that any extra tuning Jerry did plus the extra bore give the JH16s more than simply higher quality/quantity bass than the 13s.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yessss, please post a thorough comparison of these 2. I'm looking forward to this! I just ordered JH16s so there's kinda no turning back for me, but I am hoping that any extra tuning Jerry did plus the extra bore give the JH16s more than simply higher quality/quantity bass than the 13s.

I spoke with Jerry earlier about the differences between the two. Here's his exact word for word response:

" The 16 isn’t offering better sound. The biggest difference is going to be in the low end. The 16 is more bass heavy than the 13. But as far as detail goes, it’s just as good as the 13. "

I personally wouldn't want anymore bass. The JH13 Pro sometimes is a bit too bassy for me but the bass is still very well controlled, detailed, deep, textured and layered.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #29 of 29
Thanks for sharing that. I'm not expecting the 16s to be "better" in any absolute sense compared to the 13s. I was just hoping for some other differences besides the bass, perhaps in the headstage. Also, Jerry said "the biggest difference" would be the bass--I read this to say that it's not the only difference. This, coupled with a note on Facebook that the drivers in the 16s are "different" than the 13s (not sure if this meant just in terms of the number of drivers), has me curious to learn the exact differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back