JH5 or JH13?-Non-Golden ear
Apr 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

adktitan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all and thanks ahead of time for your responses and patience:

This a question that I have searched for over and over on this forum, read ALL 533 pages of the JH-13 appreciation thread (so far), all 40 or whatever pages so far of the JH 16 thread, all 25 pages of the JH5 one; and everything in between, but never found the specific answer to my question.

I want to go custom iems from Triple Fi10 universals for the following main reasons: I want a better fit then I have now for almost all day use (the triple fi 10 fit me pretty well, I use them for ~4-6 hours a day, but would like better/more comfortable for that length of time) and I would like a sound quality upgrade to go along with it. I would classify my need ALMOST as upgradtis, but I would be able to stop that nasty habit if the JH5 gives me what I want (sorry about my wallet is right….).

Now, I do not fully understand ALL audiophile terms described here when listening with my own rig, such as when/how to hear the mid-bass hump at 50hrz or whatever or identify that kind of stuff that in everyday listening. I couldn’t listen and tell you the exact moment the treble roll off occurs, etc. but I do know when sound is improved upon, or lacking, or flat, etc even if I could not convey it in words like a lot of you guys. I have worn in the past and gotten rid of or returned the following universals for the following reasons, S4 (too much sibilance, even after 100 hours ‘burn in’, a little boomy at times), ety hf2 (too dry, too analytical), beat tours (too bassy, too uncomfortable, much more personal as I did not want to support dre but had to try them anyway) and some others. Anyway, I found the triple fi 10 for the cheap price and jumped and never looked back as I loved them, love the sound, then I came here, got a null cable (I can hear the sound open up and the mids come forward when using it) the then TTVJ slim, which is incredible for the separation and bite for the guitars just for starters.

I currently listening 96% of the time with this set up now: 3gs>alo cyro>ttvj slim>null>TF10.

The money question: Would I be able to hear an absolute upgrade from the TF10 to the JH5 or do I need to go to the 13 without passing go? Also, for my ears, would I be able to tell the difference from the JH5 to the JH13? I ask this because someone (Jude?) said the difference is 50% between the 5 and 13. To me, I know they have a trained ear, and I'm sure to them, it is 50%, but what would the difference be to us proletariat listeners??? I could tell the difference between say, the s4 and the tf10 pretty easily, but I'm not so sure I could pick out the nuiances once I get into the higher league customs.

I know I don’t have the golden ear as many of you guys, but I love music and listen a lot. I know I would love to go a meet, a demo, etc, but that is not in the cards at the moment. So, please a little advice would be nice. Thanks for reading my long story, I hope my question makes sense. Cheers.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 29
Firstly, I don't own any of the products you mentioned. But JHx are supposed to be accurate. The TF10s, when I heard them, had very exaggerated bass with recessed mids. the JH5s will probably be more neutral. Initially, you may not like them as much due to the difference in bass, but you'll learn to appreciate the JH5s more because their neutral response. S4 and TF10s are very different, but it's due to their sound signatures. Yes, there is definitely a quality difference, but it's hard to compare directly. Even comparing the TF10s to the Shure E530s (consensus put these two in the same tier), they sound completely different.

Earphones aren't linearly judged. Otherwise, everyone would have the same few pairs. It's really up to personal preference. There's a possibility you won't like ANY JH models over the TF10, but you should be the one to decide. What kind of music do you usually listen to? How are you usually listening (casually or analytically)? Also, keep in mind that all custom IEMs need to be reshelled after a few years because your ears continue to grow (at all ages) and will change.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 29
Thanks for your reply and yes, I understand the difference in sound signitures bewteen different phones, which is kinda why I tried to explain why I got rid of the universals I did before settling on the tf10. After reading about the different JH sound signatures, I am fairly confident that I would like both as the 13 is described as nuetral and the 5 is closer to nutral as well (but neither Swiss neutral). I appriciate you taking the time to post your reply but it still leaves some of my bold question above unaccounted for. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 29
One thing to consider is to contact jerry harvey audio and ask them where their dealers are located. Hopefully the dealers will have samples of the universal versions of their products. And also make sure you want something designed for monitoring (neutral). Otherwise something like the 11 or 16 may work better.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 29
For the last little while I've been fairly content with my Null Audio cabled TF10's and HF-2's for variety, that is until I got to hear the demo version of the 13 Pro's, that just ruined me. I can't tell you how much of a difference the JH5's will be over your current setup but I can say if you are at all toying with the idea of the 13's just do it I can't imagine regretting it.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 29
JxK;6579328 said:
One thing to consider is to contact jerry harvey audio and ask them where their dealers are located. Hopefully the dealers will have samples of the universal versions of their products. And also make sure you want something designed for monitoring (neutral). Otherwise something like the 11 or 16 may work better.[/QUOT

great idea about the dealers..I'll try that. I ruled out the 11 because if I'm going that high I might as well go to the top

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the last little while I've been fairly content with my Null Audio cabled TF10's and HF-2's for variety, that is until I got to hear the demo version of the 13 Pro's, that just ruined me. I can't tell you how much of a difference the JH5's will be over your current setup but I can say if you are at all toying with the idea of the 13's just do it I can't imagine regretting it.

After reading everything, I'm sure I wouldn't regret it, but would I notice the difference between the two to justify it to myself...?

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 29
Apr 22, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 29
I've read both those threads backwards and have alot of searching but still could not come to a conclusion for my specific question

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by adktitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading everything, I'm sure I wouldn't regret it, but would I notice the difference between the two to justify it to myself...?

Well without hearing them first that's always going to be a consideration. On the flip side of that though is what if you buy the 5's and they don't offer as much improvement as you were hoping. Audio will always follow the law of diminishing returns so it's possible that you might not find the difference to be justifiable but without having heard them the only thing to go on is other users accounts. I never thought I'd consider laying out that kind of money for a pair of custom IEM's but after following the 13 Pro threads, reading reviews and comments from posters I've become familiar with over the years I became convinced that they were my only real upgrade path beyond what I have now, hearing the demo's only confirmed that for me.

I'll also add that I've owned and heard quite a few very good headphones, the 13 Pro's were easily the best I've heard.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 29
@adktitan where do you live? I plan on visiting their offices in LA to listen to universal demo units before I possibly plunge over a grand
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well without hearing them first that's always going to be a consideration. On the flip side of that though is what if you buy the 5's and they don't offer as much improvement as you were hoping. Audio will always follow the law of diminishing returns so it's possible that you might not find the difference to be justifiable but without having heard them the only thing to go on is other users accounts. I never thought I'd consider laying out that kind of money for a pair of custom IEM's but after following the 13 Pro threads, reading reviews and comments from posters I've become familiar with over the years I became convinced that they were my only real upgrade path beyond what I have now, hearing the demo's only confirmed that for me.

I'll also add that I've owned and heard quite a few very good headphones, the 13 Pro's were easily the best I've heard.

That is exactly what I was looking to hear. Thanks!

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnagali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@adktitan where do you live? I plan on visiting their offices in LA to listen to universal demo units before I possibly plunge over a grand
wink.gif

South Shore, Boston Ma. area...I would love to go to LA to listen..I may try to find an authorized dealer around here on the chance they may have something to listen to.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say go for the 13 because you will eventually become curious after owning the 5s as to what the 13s will sound like. Save your money and just go straight to the top.

Yeah. Im a little afraid of "upgraditis" with the 5's. The coin isn't really the issue (well, it is, but..) it's whether my ears are "good" enough to notice the difference between the 5 and 13 to justify the large cost differnece. Would the difference be like between the apple stock ear things and a TF10 or more a taste of sound signature? I guess that is another question to figure out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back