JH3A
Oct 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #16 of 29
Hi, 

I was somewhat surprised by the outcome of the article so I emailed with Steve Guttenberg. He used a regular iPod Classic to a LOD. It wasn't an Apple to Apple comparison, more like an Apple iPod to "Orange" CLAS comparison. As John said, the source makes a huge difference. I've used by 3a with an iPod Touch with a Whiplash Reference Dock, which I would guess is better than anything Steve used, and it comes no where close to the Spdif input. As to why he didn't just go from CLAS>RX3>Fitear to CLAS>JH3A+JH16 is really simple. The 3A needs that proprietary connector to go from CLAS's coax out into the JH3A. There is no way Steve would have one. 

Also, Steve has also clarified that he doesn't really consider the 3A and the Audeze 2 or 3 equal but different. He prefers the fullsize phones by clear margin. However, I still don't think he's ever really heard what the 3A can do. It performs at really different levels depending on how you are feeding it. The CLAS is nice as a source, but even that is significantly trumped by a laptop+audiophile software+high end transport (Halide, Audiophileo, etc.)+quality connector (Moon Audio). Once that chain is established, it really is phenomenal. 

The CLAS>RX3>Fitear rig doesn't stress me out too much. Personally, I think the real challenge is going to come form the UM PP6. 

Best of luck. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 29

Quote:
Hi, 

I was somewhat surprised by the outcome of the article so I emailed with Steve Guttenberg. He used a regular iPod Classic to a LOD. It wasn't an Apple to Apple comparison, more like an Apple iPod to "Orange" CLAS comparison. As John said, the source makes a huge difference. I've used by 3a with an iPod Touch with a Whiplash Reference Dock, which I would guess is better than anything Steve used, and it comes no where close to the Spdif input. As to why he didn't just go from CLAS>RX3>Fitear to CLAS>JH3A+JH16 is really simple. The 3A needs that proprietary connector to go from CLAS's coax out into the JH3A. There is no way Steve would have one. 

Also, Steve has also clarified that he doesn't really consider the 3A and the Audeze 2 or 3 equal but different. He prefers the fullsize phones by clear margin. However, I still don't think he's ever really heard what the 3A can do. It performs at really different levels depending on how you are feeding it. The CLAS is nice as a source, but even that is significantly trumped by a laptop+audiophile software+high end transport (Halide, Audiophileo, etc.)+quality connector (Moon Audio). Once that chain is established, it really is phenomenal. 

The CLAS>RX3>Fitear rig doesn't stress me out too much. Personally, I think the real challenge is going to come form the UM PP6. 

Best of luck. 

Although the FitEar is certainty a very very good universal IEM(one of the best universal IEM IMHO) but the fit is biggest issue for some people.(that review is one of the most biased piece of writing I ever read on the internet IMHO as expect of cnet I guess)

The PP6 is going to be interesting competitor with the 3A. but the thought of paying $2300 for something called Pee-Pee always give me a lol.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #20 of 29
the JH3a is a DAC.

That is how you connect the JH3a to a PC/MAC via USB and get audio out of it! That is what the Cirrus DSP can do among decoding (when the license is installed) for Dolby Digital, DTS and many 3rd party decoders.

i am having a hard time understand the price delta of the PP6 v JH3a if they are based on the Cirrus DSP.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 29
Would I be able to get a more neutral sound for the JH16s with the bass control? I am thinking that I could get the best of both worlds by buying the JH3A. I listen to acoustic and jazz music.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
Would I be able to get a more neutral sound for the JH16s with the bass control? I am thinking that I could get the best of both worlds by buying the JH3A. I listen to acoustic and jazz music.

I leave the bass effect on for the most part especially under jazz or classical. For Heavy metal (Metallica's In justice for all). I turn it off as that album was recorded with a bass boost.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

I have the bass boost off 75% of the time.  I listen to mostly jazz, acoustic guitar, small acoustic bands, and light rock.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
I leave the bass effect on for the most part especially under jazz or classical.

I do the same.  I only listen to classical and jazz.  On the odd occasion when the original recordings are somewhat bass heavy, then I turn down or off the bass boost.  Having the bas option is something to consider if you can afford the 3A.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 29
Have the owners of the 3A combo compared it to use with other DAC/amp combos? I have a D1 lying around and hear it's a great combo with the JH16, but I'd love to hear some opinions from those who have the combo and have tried other DAC/amps.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #27 of 29
I have not done a side-by-side comparison of the JH3A with a DAC/amp combo.  I am hoping to at a local meet or at the next CanJam.

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
I have not done a side-by-side comparison of the JH3A with a DAC/amp combo.  I am hoping to at a local meet or at the next CanJam.

I personally would not bother...

specifically due to the time alignment.

If your JH16 has Freqphase than the comparison would be equal as timealignment is happening on the ear pieces instad of the digital domain

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #29 of 29

I have both thenJH16/jh3a combo and the tg334.
They both are fantastic but different , the tg 334 is brighter no dout. But the 16/3a is very detailed as well but slightly less Brite . Again just different .
They both reveal parts of recordings not heard on lesser IEM,s
I also have a set of hd800 they are closer to the jh16 then the tg334.
I also have a set of Infiniti reference standard 1 b,s they are bright and very detailed And compared to the IEM,s and headphones they are close to all three set ups . Different but close in detail . This is just sounds not sound staging. I think when you get to the level of these items it becomes what one seems as the best . I'm not a fan of best, but if you we're a recording engineer you would want the brighter sound to give you more detail however for long listening times the tg 334 does become fatiguing faster because of the brightness .

Just my opinion .

Please excuse my grammar .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back