JH13 with Crystal Piccolino Cables
Sep 18, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #91 of 117
You can find piccolo in local agent.
Find cable is one thing, find connector is another.

For me, It is really hard for me to find the connector.

I will check cable in the end of Sept.

I just wondering it is worth or not to buy a crystal cable.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #92 of 117
Simply beautiful.... I'm seriously considering JH11 and it gives me a headache to think that I might need cable upgrade
redface.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #93 of 117
I still think the price is way, way out of sync with materials cost. To pay for a Chinese factory to make this is nowhere near $300 per foot. OCC silver 24awg, super fine stranded (42/40) with PE insulation costs about $3 per foot. This is considered very expensive, as similar high end copper wire is 1/10th this price. They're laughing all the way to the bank...I made a manufacturer inquiry and we'll see what they'll sell it to me for as I would like to try it with my IEMs, but they need to give me a break on price. $30 per foot would be tolerable, or even $50...but this is vastly more expensive than any hookup wire out there and for no good reason. It's just greedy to charge that much.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #94 of 117
At least that is what Kevin emailed my tonight. I ordered the Piccolino headphone cable and a 10 inch 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect so the full link is Piccolo. They appear to be on back order because I ordered about the 20 of last month and it said 46 in stock on the sight and they couldn't fill my order till now. Get in line boys.

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #96 of 117
I tried to contact them about manufacturer pricing, we'll see if they respond. You could probably DIY your own using bare mundorf silver 28awg, twisting up 4 strands of it or so, then covering it with kapton tape and then running a shield of some sort...really you can't beat their cable ever by DIYing it though, it's too compact as it's a manufactured wire. And it's highly likely that their silver is vastly more pure than Mundorf's (if that makes a difference...Mundorf is just damn good as it is) so it'd be futile anyway. I guess we'll find out.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #97 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mate, you could buy yourself a ute, a sleeping bag, enough beer to drive around Australia and still have enough money left over to tune up at least 2 chicks in every major town in this great country for the price you would pay for this crazily overpriced cable. Then after gathering a lifetime of memories, you would still have enough money left over to buy a more than suitable complete portable rig which would more than meet most peoples needs.

I must stop reading these ridiculous threads.

This is one of the bloodiest funny posts I have ever read.....!!!!! Thanks for the laughs Nicky Boyo!

Sorry for the interruption.....I have to catch up with all the wallets being emptied...!!!

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #98 of 117
Crystal wouldn't sell me bulk piccolino and referred me to Jaben, who had this to say when I mentioned some cable places have this wire in their stuff:

Hello Peter,

Null Audio and others do not sell Piccolino products. *They use another cable, which is rigid. *Piccolino wire is flexible. *It was specifically designed for portable audio applications, which require wires that are easy to bend and coil into small volumes.

Regards,
Wilson.

EDIT: Did not see qusp's post about how he had to chop a retail cable. Ouch. How'd stevenkelby get his Piccolino, the same way? They sure are cruel.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #99 of 117
So, to summarize - crystallino is a knockoff of the piccolino, and isn't flexible. The Null cable is in no way affiliated with the Jaben crystal cables products. $800 for the crystallino? I don't think so.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #100 of 117
From what I figure out, Null Audio Studio has their headphone cable built from Crystal Cable Piccolo, and calls it 'Crystalino'.

Jaben gets the cable built from Crystal Cable Piccolino which is thinner and more flexible, at a higher cost.

Both are very expensive, at least in relative terms given what the IEM itself costs. Much more reasonable are the Null Lune & Enyo, and the Whiplash wire. I read there is a new version of the Lune on the way, anyone know about it ?

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #101 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by NucRad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I figure out, Null Audio Studio has their headphone cable built from Crystal Cable Piccolo, and calls it 'Crystalino'.

I am not sure that is correct.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #102 of 117
I based my comment from this picture and caption:

Crystal Cable Piccolo for Ultimate Ears

Pretty sure that photo and the Crystalino photo on the Null Audio Studio website shows the same product. I assume the 'Crystalino' name is a marketing tool, reflecting Crystal Cable as source and -ino hinting to Piccolino, which is costlier, thinner and more flexible, and by at least some opinions better sounding.

I'm not planning to spend that much on a JH13 cable, but if I were I'd probably pay the extra and get the Piccolino from Jaben. Piccolo is a lot easier to source. The Piccolino would have to be ordered in bulk from the manufacturer, then properly packaged and terminated. There is always a huge mark up in wire, but the price tag of this one may not actually be out of line compared with other big players in the fancy cable market.

Who knows, if I order the Lune or Whiplash cable to play with and it really makes a big difference over stock, I could see talking myself into spending the big bucks to see how much more potential the JH13 has....

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #103 of 117
I was at the Tokyo Headphone Trade show this weekend and was fortunate enough to try out the Piccolino, which Uncle Wilson brought.

This was the number one highlight of the show for me when paired with my JH13s and Pico. Build quality is the best I`ve seen on a portable cable and the sound was stunning. Better than pretty much everything I heard at this show, including a variety of HD800 setups, D7000 setups (which I preferred to the HD800s I listened to), top tier Ultrasones, and even most electrostats, although I still prefer the O2s.

Would I spend the money for this cable? Not a chance. But, if it were two or even three hundred bucks max, I`d buy it in a heartbeat.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #104 of 117
Any lower priced upgrades available for JH13 cables? I'd love to upgrade over the stock cables, but daaaaamn...

It would be wrong for me to say that its greedy to charge so much...there are plenty of things we buy on a regular basis which cost absolutely nothing to make (soda, clothing, most electronics, etc.)...but trying to justify this by the contents of the cable and R&D is pretty ludicrous. The parts cost is pretty low...and R&D on cables is also very low compared to most any other product available. People are free to charge what they like. Just... geez. People in this hobby accepting these prices are why there are companies getting away with it.

Anyways..

I have a feeling that most people will be pairing cables like this with less than stellar sources, just like in home audio where many hobbyists buy expensive cables but have poorly/incorrectly treated rooms with bad in-room bass response. $800 dollars worth of mods could do an awful lot for your system and probably make more impact. I do hope people will consider other options.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #105 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at the Tokyo Headphone Trade show this weekend and was fortunate enough to try out the Piccolino, which Uncle Wilson brought.

This was the number one highlight of the show for me when paired with my JH13s and Pico. Build quality is the best I`ve seen on a portable cable and the sound was stunning. Better than pretty much everything I heard at this show, including a variety of HD800 setups, D7000 setups (which I preferred to the HD800s I listened to), top tier Ultrasones, and even most electrostats, although I still prefer the O2s.

Would I spend the money for this cable? Not a chance. But, if it were two or even three hundred bucks max, I`d buy it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the impression though the price is too much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back