JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #316 of 1,149
  Somewhat early impressions, coming from a TG!334.  This is my 4th day using these with about 20 hours of headtime and another 4-5 hours on this burnin tool - http://www.jlabaudio.com/index/burn-in

Also to note, this is mostly with a Concero HP (2.2 output impedance) and rMBP headphone out, which I think might even be higher.  A friend at work is using my E17 so I'll give that a shot later this week.

Pros:
- Great resolution, full spectrum represented well.  
- Fairly neutral.  With bass controls lowered toward the bottom of the range perhaps just a slight warm tilt
- Timbre seems spot on.  
- Perhaps the smoothest ear/heaphone experience I've ever had.  Nothing has caught me out at all, totally non-fatiguing. I can crank the volume to what must be dangerous levels and feel okay. 
- Low bass is quite present and even, even on the lowest settings.  Has speaker-like authority and rumble.

Neutral:
- Jury's still out on the upper treble response.  Not sure if I hear it, but every once in awhile during quiter passages I am rather surprised at what these things can do... you do have moments where you feel you're listening to headphones. 

Cons: 
- Somewhat veiled to my ears.  Sort of a percussive snap that's not quite there with bass string plucks, the kick drum, how guitars crunch, etc - but not in a way that seems to obscure detail, just an overall software to the sound.  Again, this is relative to my 334.  Playing around with the eq in itunes a bit, 2 dBs down @ 250 and 1+ @ 2k, 2+ @ 4k, 1+ @ 8k seem to do wonders.  Very small tweaks.  I've tried larger adjustments but things get wonky fast.  Then again I'm a prett rank amateur when it comes to harnessing the power of eq.  So this might be in the realm of different perception, anatomy, etc - or maybe just output impedance. 
- People have said in the past that the bass control doesn't interfere with the rest of the spectrum, but IMO it does actually reign in this veiled character.  I find myself going back and forth between 9am, 11am, and 1pm, and keep coming back to 9am at least in quieter environments.  Bass ramps up fast beyond 1pm and while it lends amazing body to some things, it doesn't take long before I find something that's just too mushy where I turn it down again.
- The bass control is pretty cool, but it is a bit clunky hanging so close to the jack.  Also I was hoping I could do micro-adjustments with a thumbnail, no dice.

I pretty much agree with all your points. I've been experimenting between 8, 11, and 12 as well.. hopefully will find a sweet spot and then get a fixed cable. Have fun!!

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #319 of 1,149
I have listened to both the Roxanne and the K10 but will do so again as I wait for my friend's Rox replacement cables.

For me the k10is very similar to the tg334 presentation, forward lush mids.
Roxanne's vocals are a less intimate. I would say when it comes to vocals, i like the timbre of the k10. When it comes to highs, this is dilemma to me. Both of them extend very well. The highs of the k10 has more presence while Roxanne for me the highs are laid back very well detailed and also extends very very well. It gives me the impression of it being more airy but for me the highs sound thin. The highs of k10 has a very nice decay to it it stays there with me with a solid presence no matter how complex the song goes again i do find the decay very impressive as it sound very sweet until the very last extension. Roxanne's highs gives me the feeling like the sound floats way up high as it decays while k1p for me, the decay is on the sides of my ear.

if u really want to hear every single word, for me the k10 will have the advantage, the mids of roxanne is warm while on k10, it's clear and more focused. even when the k10 i've been auditioning is using a dhc copper it still sounds clear.

I haven't tried the bass controls of the Roxannes but im sure they will help a lot on the drums especially drums that give rumble. But also, there are many types of drums.

Consider also the source. I used ak240 and zx1 when i did my short comparisons. Using k10 with the hifiman 901 balanced card for me gives more bass quantity adding up to the slam and presence.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #320 of 1,149
if u really want to hear every single word, for me the k10 will have the advantage, the mids of roxanne is warm while on k10, it's clear and more focused. even when the k10 i've been auditioning is using a dhc copper it still sounds clear.

I haven't tried the bass controls of the Roxannes but im sure they will help a lot on the drums especially drums that give rumble. But also, there are many types of drums.

Consider also the source. I used ak240 and zx1 when i did my short comparisons. Using k10 with the hifiman 901 balanced card for me gives more bass quantity adding up to the slam and presence.

Thank you. Would you then recommend me the K10 for the RWAK 120 B? I do use an ext. amp... 

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #322 of 1,149
These iems are ridiculous. They are so good it's amazing how perfect everything is. Someone said the Roxanne is a game changer and I agree. Out of just an iPhone the sound is beyond words and i'd run out of description. I'm 4 days in, and these are clearly opening up on all sonic levels. If it's cross over or brain adjustment or ear adjustment I don't know, but they are indeed incredible and worth every penny and wait time I had. Acrylic and clear cable with round case = rock.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #323 of 1,149
^

I'm there with you.  For me, these things have improved significantly over the past few days (now on day #8).  In my case I'm not sure if it's burn-in or just my ear canals molding to them - but they're much clearer/less veiled and have jaw-dropping dynamics and extension in both directions.

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #325 of 1,149
Always too many impressions and comparisons on products straight out of the box.The more resolved a device, the more you'll hear it run in. if it does.
wink_face.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #326 of 1,149
I have been listening to my new Roxanne all day at work today.. and thought is was decent..
But when i got home I decided to do some AB test between this and my JH16pro(nonfreq) and LCD-3.
This Roxanne makes the 16pro sound cheap. It make the 16pro sound like a $100 iem. 
The difference is so dramatic i give up comparing after 2 songs.
The 16pro sound congested ,harsh and muddy in comparison.
I remember reading another headfi stating that the R sound more like headphones than IEMs.
I am in total agreeance with that.

I would say it sound very similar to the LCD-3 with the LCD having a slight upper hand.
The high are indeed a bit layback ..I feel a bit more spark in the high end would be nice.
Hopefully a silver cable can fix that.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #327 of 1,149
  I have been listening to my new Roxanne all day at work today.. and thought is was decent..
But when i got home I decided to do some AB test between this and my JH16pro(nonfreq) and LCD-3.
This Roxanne makes the 16pro sound cheap. It make the 16pro sound like a $100 iem. 
The difference is so dramatic i give up comparing after 2 songs.
The 16pro sound congested ,harsh and muddy in comparison.
I remember reading another headfi stating that the R sound more like headphones than IEMs.
I am in total agreeance with that.

I would say it sound very similar to the LCD-3 with the LCD having a slight upper hand.
The high are indeed a bit layback ..I feel a bit more spark in the high end would be nice.
Hopefully a silver cable can fix that.

Yeah my poor JH16, been sidelined for quite some time. Give Roxanne some more burn in time and will open up more. I can now enjoy the bass at 1 o'clock position, which I found too aggressive and overpowering before. But now the weight and impact is still there but everything else has caught up to make it more balance.

Like I mentioned before the Roxanne is as close as you can get to a full size headphone. Reminds me of Audeze (LCD-2) in particular with similar bass presentation.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #328 of 1,149
It reminds me of the LCD-3 more than the 2.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #330 of 1,149
Oh I see, I'd agree regarding the bass. The LCD-3 has some more top end, and so does the Roxanne. But I'd still like a little more in both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back