JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Dec 6, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #211 of 739
Bump for the Lola thread!

Just ordered custom Lolas and trying to decide which moon audio cable to pair them with. I currently have the black dragon with the shure se846 so I was leaning towards that but was curious about the bronze and even the silver. I kinda want all 3 but not looking to spend 700+ on cables lol. Any advice ? I listen to 95% grateful dead so I tend to prefer the warmer sound and always love me some phil bombs. But if the lola has enough warmth on its own then maybe the silver is the way to go ?
I’m listening to the Lola’s and my new Black Dragon cable from Moon Audio. I’ve had the Silver Dragon for 18 months or so. Love it. However, with the Black Dragon, I’M IN THE PHIL ZONE!!! Really there. Listening to live recordings and omg, his playing is incredible. If you want to hear Phil like you did in concert, you have to go Black. Sliver is great for detail, Black is for that long strange trip you want to take. IMHO

Leo

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #212 of 739
thank you so much Leo. Thats exactly the opinion I was looking for. I've been using the black dragon for 3 years now with the 846's and it made a world of difference. Now the only question is the bronze even better ? :wink:

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #213 of 739
I have an aftermarket cable that changes the sound and can be measured and tested. It has a three band EQ for each ear. $200... Garbage quality though it works if you don't need it to stay on. Stay away from YY Pro Audio.

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #214 of 739
HI Everyone!!!

I'm hoping someone can help me out...

I'm in the market for a new CIEM. JH Audio is doing impressions. I'm going to meet Alex at CanJam NY to get that done in a few days.

I was leaning towards 64 Audio but the more and more I read the more I'm interested in the Lola. Another option is the EE Legend X. I currently have the Bravado and have been very happy with it.

Do you guys still feel like the Lola is relevant? Is everyone still happy with theirs?

Thanks!!

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #215 of 739
Back in 2017 I tried the 64 Audio, and Ultimate Ears flagships, as well as all of the JH Audio earphones. My significant other at the time liked the Lola the best out of the JH Audio line, bust was mostly interested in over ears. I also had the Lola as my favorite, and went back and forth a couple of times with each competitor listening to the same songs.

I now own a JH Audio Lola, and going to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this last year had the chance to compare them to the Westone flagships, Campfire Andromeda, Vega, Come, Shure SE 846, and Shure KSE electrostat, can't remember if it was the 1200 or the 1500.

Of all of those comparisons, I still liked my JH Audio Lola:

-Shure KSE did vocals in a way I liked better. Like adding clarity without sibilance.
-Campfire stuff was nice to see and feel, but would have occasional sibilance I didn't like.
-Westone models seemed like they would be more comfortable as customs since the tip would be soft, but the sound seemed overly smooth. (Little less definition, no sibilance.)

If I did it all over again, I'd not bother with a custom monitor as the three versions JH Audio sent me never fit as well as, and were larger than, the universal version. I'd go with a Westone if I wanted to try a custom again, the KSE if that cable were small and supple and didn't require an extra box, or the Lola again because I think going forward it will likely appeal to even more people as JH Audio is probably working on a 3 way EQ to get that last little bit of frequency response tuning available for users preference.* (I add a few DB of bass.)

Oh, and the Lola has started me on a journey to find the speaker equivalent... I'm now on my 5th pair of speakers, and will likely have to spend $10,000 to get something on par with the Lola from a frequency response standpoint: No audible defects to my ear, the right amount of bass from midbass to sub bass, no peaky trumpets or sibilance, not smoothed or too warm.

*JH Audio cables have 4 connections to each earpiece: Ground, mid, low, high. Theoretically an outboard "crossover" could be made to further refine or adjust the circuit for lows, mids, and highs independent of each other... Similar to the JH3A which had an external crossover. Their connection is also superior to anything else I've seen, and I think UE finally has a competitor, but it's only 2 pins.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #216 of 739
HI Everyone!!!

I'm hoping someone can help me out...

I'm in the market for a new CIEM. JH Audio is doing impressions. I'm going to meet Alex at CanJam NY to get that done in a few days.

I was leaning towards 64 Audio but the more and more I read the more I'm interested in the Lola. Another option is the EE Legend X. I currently have the Bravado and have been very happy with it.

Do you guys still feel like the Lola is relevant? Is everyone still happy with theirs?

Thanks!!

I don't own any 64 Audio products but have heard them several times and CanJams. I do own EE Legend X and Phantom, Shure KSE, along with Lola...with the EEs being custom.

My overall favorite is Phantom but I still really enjoy the Lola for it's vocal quality, smoothness, and analog-y type sound. It's not as detailed as any of the others, not as good stage/imaging, but it has a special quality to it. I don't see myself selling the Lola whereas I've gotten rid of others like InEars Prophile-8.

Legend X is great. I think I use it more than Phantom even though Phantom is a better all-rounder for me. It's my guilty pleasure. Some people could live with the Legend as their only IEM but not me. If you really love bass and like the EE sound sig, then it's a good choice. In the beginning I used to think these were crazy bass cannons but after owning them for a year I'm used to the bass response...only with some music does it get overpowering for me now. They still have great mids, although I still think my Zeus has the best mids out of all IEMs I own, but it doesn't have the same kind of mids as Lola.

I want to mention the Lola universal shell is rather big and heavy so I had to experiment with many tips and even then, they still require some fidgeting. It only gets annoying if I'm moving a lot. I think you want to go custom though.

I'll be at CanJam NYC this month and plan to try some of the new Campfires, especially the Solaris. If you'll be there and haven't tried the Phantom, give them a listen.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #217 of 739
I don't own any 64 Audio products but have heard them several times and CanJams. I do own EE Legend X and Phantom, Shure KSE, along with Lola...with the EEs being custom.

My overall favorite is Phantom but I still really enjoy the Lola for it's vocal quality, smoothness, and analog-y type sound. It's not as detailed as any of the others, not as good stage/imaging, but it has a special quality to it. I don't see myself selling the Lola whereas I've gotten rid of others like InEars Prophile-8.

Legend X is great. I think I use it more than Phantom even though Phantom is a better all-rounder for me. It's my guilty pleasure. Some people could live with the Legend as their only IEM but not me. If you really love bass and like the EE sound sig, then it's a good choice. In the beginning I used to think these were crazy bass cannons but after owning them for a year I'm used to the bass response...only with some music does it get overpowering for me now. They still have great mids, although I still think my Zeus has the best mids out of all IEMs I own, but it doesn't have the same kind of mids as Lola.

I want to mention the Lola universal shell is rather big and heavy so I had to experiment with many tips and even then, they still require some fidgeting. It only gets annoying if I'm moving a lot. I think you want to go custom though.

I'll be at CanJam NYC this month and plan to try some of the new Campfires, especially the Solaris. If you'll be there and haven't tried the Phantom, give them a listen.
Thanks a lot for that veyr detailed and helpful answer.

My plan is to get one TOTL IEM that checks as many boxes as possible. I sold most of my home gear and have a good budged. My plan was to get one high end IEM and a fairly high end DAP. I could just skip the DAP and get two different high end IEMS for different purposes. I figure that the Lola and A6t would probably compliment each other nicely. I have the DX150 now but the upcoming DX220 has me very interested.

I had the universal Legend X and Phantom for a few days on loan from EE for a Schiit Meet I hosted. I found the Phantom very dry especially in the mid range. The Legend X was fantastic. I was using the Hugo 2 as a source and that seems to make everything sound neutral. I should have spent more time with the Phantom but the Legend X was so hard to put down. I should have tried more sources as well.

I know what you mean about the shell size of the universal shells. I borrowed the Roxanne from a friend and had a hard time getting a good fit. I'll be going custom.

Same here! I have several universals I want to check out including the Solaris.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #218 of 739
Thanks a lot for that veyr detailed and helpful answer.

My plan is to get one TOTL IEM that checks as many boxes as possible. I sold most of my home gear and have a good budged. My plan was to get one high end IEM and a fairly high end DAP. I could just skip the DAP and get two different high end IEMS for different purposes. I figure that the Lola and A6t would probably compliment each other nicely. I have the DX150 now but the upcoming DX220 has me very interested.

I had the universal Legend X and Phantom for a few days on loan from EE for a Schiit Meet I hosted. I found the Phantom very dry especially in the mid range. The Legend X was fantastic. I was using the Hugo 2 as a source and that seems to make everything sound neutral. I should have spent more time with the Phantom but the Legend X was so hard to put down. I should have tried more sources as well.

I know what you mean about the shell size of the universal shells. I borrowed the Roxanne from a friend and had a hard time getting a good fit. I'll be going custom.

Same here! I have several universals I want to check out including the Solaris.

I understand what you mean about Phantom being dry. Last years NYC CanJam I tried the Legend next to Phantom for hours and strongly preferred the Legend and my Zeus. Phantom even seemed muffled. A little later I was able to spend much more time with the universal Phantoms and the dryness (similar to what my AZ PMx2 have) didn't bother me/went away and I was able to understand what the Phantom was all about. But it can be always dry for some people I'm sure.

I love the DX200 especially with amp8 module. Goes toe to toe with Hugo with less hiss. Not as detailed but just as enjoyable to me is the AK320. The Lola has good synergy with Fiio Q5 using AM3B module. After going through many DAPs I've started to chill out a bit on them. I tried most of the latest high end AK's and they sound great but plugging in Legends, Phantoms, Lolas into DX200 or even Fiio Q5 is all I need. If I'm home and want to use my IEMs I use the 2.5mm balanced output from my iFi iDSD Pro. But I say all this now...in 2 weeks I'm gonna be at CanJam wanting to buy a $3000 DAP :rolling_eyes:

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #219 of 739
The Phantom is a tool for a different purpose.

I had the DX200 and sold it. I also has the DX200Ti for a while as well. I seriously like the DX150 with the AMP4s but I do find myself missing the detail and layering of the 200. I'm following the DX220 thread and plan on giving that some seriously thought. The other option is to pick up a used DX200 when the upgrades start to happen. Even with the DX220 coming out the DX200 is still relevant and a great piece of audio gear.

I think the $3,000 DAPs temp us all. Haha I do feel like you hit diminishing returns harder and fast when it comes to sources when you compare it to headphone. IMO of course.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #220 of 739
I have been using my custom lola's for a little over a month now, around 15 hours a week, so I think I'm still in the break-in period. Overall I really like the sound but I do wish it had a little more thump/slam/punch. I am using them with the Moon Audio Black Dragon connected to a Ultrasone Naos via an iphone X and basspod set to 3 O'clock. I use these for commuting so I am trying to avoid using a DAP. I have a QP1R and I always thought it took the some of the fun out of my music (99% Grateful Dead and JGB).

So my question for Leo, do you think my iphone+naos is holding these back ? I've been listening to the Spring 90 Other one box set at 24/192 and it sounds fantastic but I was hoping for just a little more. Am I asking for too much from the headphones without a proper source? Do I really have to drop 3K on the WM1Z to get the sound I want? How big of a difference does the balanced output make? I do love the warm sound from the black dragon but perhaps I'll get what I am looking for from a silver dragon? Or should I just burn these in longer and see what happens. Sorry for the long rant..been meaning to post here. Glad there is life back in the thread!!

Sounds like we should have a Lola meet up at NY Canjam!

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #221 of 739
Sorry to take so long to respond LemonToo. I’ve been in the Phil Zone for quite a while :). I can’t answer your questions perfectly, as I do my listening via the Sony WM-1Z. It keeps me going. Everything is set to neutral. If turn it up a bit, OMG, Phil My livingroom. Sorry I can;t be more helpful

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #222 of 739
Greetings,
After 5 years with the jvc fx850, I decided it's time for a change. I was looking at jh13v2 at 630 used.. Then chanced upon loa at 750 used. Minty with all accessories in tack. At 1st auditing I was apprehensive as I am too use to the fx forward warm sound, making the lola seems very distant n empty. Plus the very divided opinion I read here about lola. After 2 days of listening. Starting to like the lola more n more. With strings, the texture is just awesome. Vocals were great too. Just that the bass doesn't thumb low and lacks grip. Would have prefered a tighten deeper bass than the added amount thru tuning the port. Now I can listen at lower volume compared to the fx n enjoy the full spectrum of music. I have always preferred dynamic drivers. Found them to be more realistic n life like than BAs and the lola do just that for me. Loving it. Thanks to all who has replied To this thread. Positive or negative they have allowed me to better decided and now own the lola.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #223 of 739
Update: The Naos had some issues related to volume and overload so I exchanged it for another one. Now that one works fine with volume etc except my headphone cable wont stay in it so I am just going to return in. I switched over to the QP1R and I have been pretty happy with the synergy. I went to Canjam in NYC last weekend and spent 99% of my time demoing the WM1Z and the SP1000. The WM1Z was nice but I didn't feel like it was still giving me exactly what I was looking for (not to mention its heavy as ****). The SP1000 was just ok...I didn't quite understand why it was so expensive. My last stop was the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and I was blown away by the sound. I legit couldn't stop listening. So much power and such a pleasure to use. Love the ability to see the levels and all the DSP tweaks. Now I just have to pony up the $$ for it.

Mar 12, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #224 of 739
I'm using these with the silver dragon for my 901s and ZX2 (balanced connector) and bronze dragon with a pentacon termination for my WMA1

How did you get a 4-pin bronze dragon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back