JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,386 of 2,420
Freqphase question - All frequencies of sounds travel at the same speed. However, JH claims that the drivers for the low frequency sounds are closer to the soundhole of the earphone than the high frequency sounds in order to allow all sounds to exit at the same time.

Can someone please explain to me, if all sounds travel at the same time, what difference does freqphase make to the sound?

Thanks

I think it has more to do with time alignment of the phase of the waves, rather than arrival time. Even if the sound waves travel at the same speed, the peak amplitude of a high frequency wave may not arrive at the same time as the peak of a low frequency wave. Perhaps that's what JHA is after? Kind of like the sloped baffles Thiel speakers had, for "time alignment". I think Mr. Thile was trying to maintain phase coherency using a physical means.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #2,388 of 2,420
Thank you Edric for clearing it up.

Any idea how 64 audio or empire solves the issues and ensures all sounds leaves the earphone at the same time?
It is unclear to me whether freqphase is addressing a problem created by JH themselves, the 4th-order crossover designed introduced in the Sirens Series Roxanne in 2013 https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/filter-crossover-types-for-loudspeakers

It is unclear to me whether the crossover design by 64 Audio and EE are identical to JH.

It is also unclear to me whether it is due to the drivers JH is using: JH uses custom-built drivers (made by big-name manufacturers to JH's own specs), whereas 64 and EE, iirc, use off-the-shelf drivers.

It is also unclear to me whether this problem is intrinsic to BA drivers, so that hybrid designs won't have to deal with it. Most hybrid designs today are tubeless, yet JH still uses sound tubes in Jolene and Lola and advertises the freqphase technology.

I would love to see someone with knowledge in speakers design and BA drivers chime in. One thing I know for sure though, is that JH does have one of the best imaging in the IEM market today. Whatever they are doing, IMO it is working.

Nov 7, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #2,389 of 2,420
Would you agree JH Layla is still a very good reference IEM in the market today despite being released a long time ago?

And how is the acoustic sound chamber just a desig of to reduce shell size, or does it change the sound?

Finally, why has the laaion sound become less muddy and more V shaped compared to the Layla and Layla 2?

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,390 of 2,420
Would you agree JH Layla is still a very good reference IEM in the market today despite being released a long time ago?

And how is the acoustic sound chamber just a desig of to reduce shell size, or does it change the sound?

Finally, why has the laaion sound become less muddy and more V shaped compared to the Layla and Layla 2?
I've recently (past year or so) purchased a variety of IEMs (like variations, mele, 7hz timeless) and I find myself going back to the layla's (first gen) after a while. I like the new models, they all have something special, but the layla's are like coming home for me. The sound signature, details, and impact are just more enjoyable for me personally.

Of course I havent tried any other TOTL/Kilobuck IEMs so those may be as good/better, but I wouldnt know :upside_down:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #2,391 of 2,420

I have heard all versions of Layla, but none side-by-side. There are at least 4 universal versions of Layla: Sirens Series, Full-Metal Series, Performance Series (yes, there is a performance series layla. It has a orange/wood color back plate and cyan/blue color "layla" logo), and Aion Series. The performance series Layla was the store universal demo for the custom Layla during the period of performance series. There is an all-black store demo for the custom Layla during the (current) period of Aion series, whose sound is identical to Layla Aion. I do remember there is a store demo for the custom Layla during Sirens Series / Full-Metal Series; they have a more generic look than the Sirens Series / Full-Metal Series Layla. I don't know why they exist, nor do I remember how they sound.

If I have to rank in terms of sound, the Layla Aion (or the current store demo for custom Layla) wins because of the better cable; just better resolution overall. Layla II (full-metal series) would be last because they sounded more muddy than the Sirens Series (could be unit variation). I do not recall a significant change in tuning. Though I personally prefer Roxanne Aion over Layla Aion, as I prefer darker sound. To me they are still the best imaging IEM on the market today.

In short, I don't think the acoustic sound chamber changed the sound as much as the new stock cable, if I have to guess, because the change in the sound reminds me of changing to a better cable.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #2,393 of 2,420
That is the exact question I wanted to ask because I have the moon audio silver dragon and it improve the sound drastically

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #2,395 of 2,420
From what I read it is not bright and it has a fair amount of bass

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #2,396 of 2,420
Is the Aion cable better than the Silver Dragon 4pin cable?
From my experience Black dragon V2 is a better cable than Silver dragon V2: deeper sound stage, etc. But Silver cable V1 is a better cable than Black dragon V1: about as warm but more resolving.

As for Black dragon V2 vs Aion cable, my only experience to compare the two would be Performance series Roxanne/Lola + black dragon vs Aion Roxanne/Lola. Bear in mind that I auditioned the two roughly 2 years apart, and that the difference may be caused more by the acoustic chamber design, and that there are unit variance. The most accurate impression I can probably give is the Aion w/ Aion cable is brighter, which is a good thing for Roxanne but not for Lola. The Aion cable is probably the better (albeit bulkier) cable, but not by much.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,397 of 2,420
From what I read it is not bright and it has a fair amount of bass
what does the Jimi sound like? is it a bright or bassy IEM?
From my impression comparing the Aion Rox/Layla/Lola/Jimi (yes there is a Aion Lola; It is the current demo for custom Lola), all at a bass level that I think is adequate relative to the rest of the mix, Jimi is the most bass-light, mid-forward model. It is slightly less resolving than Rox/Layla; imaging and sound stage depth is not as good. Roxanne's midrange is forward and warm; Jimi's midrange is forward but more neutral. It is not bright; about as dark as Roxanne, but not as resolving. I would take Jimi over Lola/JH16, but not over Rox/Layla.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #2,398 of 2,420
I've recently (past year or so) purchased a variety of IEMs (like variations, mele, 7hz timeless) and I find myself going back to the layla's (first gen) after a while. I like the new models, they all have something special, but the layla's are like coming home for me. The sound signature, details, and impact are just more enjoyable for me personally.

Of course I havent tried any other TOTL/Kilobuck IEMs so those may be as good/better, but I wouldnt know :upside_down:
How are you enjoying your Variation? I vaguely recall recommending to you the AKG N5005, which is quite similar sounding to Variation.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,399 of 2,420
How are you enjoying your Variation? I vaguely recall recommending to you the AKG N5005, which is quite similar sounding to Variation.
variations are the most comfortable for me to wear, and the sound is the cleanest and most enjoyable to me to wear and forget. I like timeless/layla for "critical listening" as they say, with all the details that come out in the full frequency range with them (not to say variations arent detailed as well). variations are more for when i dont want to immerse myself completely in the music but still want to enjoy fully. meles are just for fun on the go.

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,400 of 2,420
not sure this is the right thread to ask about JH Audio. anyway, which JH Audio model got the warmest/lushest most intimate HQ Female Vocals/Upper mids?

i was reading a lot and i was about to order Layla and Angie, yet there are ton of other models and i dont know which will serve my needs the best. thanks in advance ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back