JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,711 of 2,420
I know someone has probably asked this question already but if you're going to spend that much money on a pair of TOTL universal IEM's then has anyone compared the Zeus-XR ADEL with the JH Audio Layla's. The Layla's have the ability to fine tune the bass response that cannot be done with the Zeus and in the same price range.

My second question is the pairing of the Zeus-XR ADEL with the Qstyle QP1R DAP. Anyone have this combination and can give me their impressions?

Finally, for those that have a MOJO what are they using to feed their FLAC files to it for a not bulky stack for travel???

Thanks

I can only speak to the MOJO portion - I used the MOJO briefly with the Apple USB dongle, paired with an IPHone 7 (and ALAC files). I wasn't a huge fan of the MOJO sound - I may have been spoiled by the Hugo, but didn't care for the MOJO and returned it.

I had a CCK enabled cable built for me by Konstantin of Lavricables, which worked with the IPhone 6, but did NOT work with the IPhone 7, so you may be looking at a bulky cable setup as well if you go the IPhone route.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,712 of 2,420

I can only speak to the MOJO portion - I used the MOJO briefly with the Apple USB dongle, paired with an IPHone 7 (and ALAC files). I wasn't a huge fan of the MOJO sound - I may have been spoiled by the Hugo, but didn't care for the MOJO and returned it.

I had a CCK enabled cable built for me by Konstantin of Lavricables, which worked with the IPhone 6, but did NOT work with the IPhone 7, so you may be looking at a bulky cable setup as well if you go the IPhone route.

The new Mojo connection kit makes stacking a whole lot better and makes the Mojo about the same length as an iPhone 7. It sucks in the long end of the CCK cable so it is much cleaner. It's as good as stacking is going to get.

Having said that, I personally can't stand stacking because it requires cables and straps to get arranged each time I assemble or disassemble. I tried carrying a separate DAP which doesn't need straps, but then I couldn't get past feeling like an idiot for basically carrying around another device that is basically the same thing as my phone. At the moment, my best compromise with the Laylas is my iPhone and AudioQuest DFR connected via CCK. The Apple native DAC/amp makes the Layla sound dark and muddy to my ears.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,713 of 2,420

The new Mojo connection kit makes stacking a whole lot better and makes the Mojo about the same length as an iPhone 7. It sucks in the long end of the CCK cable so it is much cleaner. It's as good as stacking is going to get.

Having said that, I personally can't stand stacking because it requires cables and straps to get arranged each time I assemble or disassemble. I tried carrying a separate DAP which doesn't need straps, but then I couldn't get past feeling like an idiot for basically carrying around another device that is basically the same thing as my phone. At the moment, my best compromise with the Laylas is my iPhone and AudioQuest DFR connected via CCK. The Apple native DAC/amp makes the Layla sound dark and muddy to my ears.

Thanks for the info! I agree with you re: stacking, and extra cables. I hate it. I miss the Hugo's bluetooth feature, which resulted in a noticeable drop in SQ (still sounded great), but made for a much more transportable option when flying, etc. I considered going down the add-on path for the MOJO but decided to take the plunge on the new Sony DAP instead, and have a pre-order in for the 1z.

Will report back on how it pairs with the Laylas as soon as my order comes in. Hoping this is my end-game portable setup for the next year or two. Will need to get a balanced cable made for the Laylas into the new Sony 4.4mm connector, so still need to figure that out.

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,714 of 2,420

Thanks for the info! I agree with you re: stacking, and extra cables. I hate it. I miss the Hugo's bluetooth feature, which resulted in a noticeable drop in SQ (still sounded great), but made for a much more transportable option when flying, etc. I considered going down the add-on path for the MOJO but decided to take the plunge on the new Sony DAP instead, and have a pre-order in for the 1z.

Will report back on how it pairs with the Laylas as soon as my order comes in. Hoping this is my end-game portable setup for the next year or two. Will need to get a balanced cable made for the Laylas into the new Sony 4.4mm connector, so still need to figure that out.

Mojo sounds fine with Layla imho. Not the biggest soundstage that the Laylas are capable of, but solid choice. If you can get a good deal on a Vorzuge Pure II+ amp to go with the Mojo, it's close to end-game portable. Stacks perfectly with the Mojo too.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #1,715 of 2,420
Does anyone know of any companies that will reshell JH Laylas? I believe InEarz, Unique Melody, and Perfect Seal will not reshell the Layla model. Any other reshell companies out there?

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,718 of 2,420
Reshell a CIEM Layla. I am looking to sell my CIEM Laylas, but before I put them up for sale I'd like to be certain that a buyer would be able to get them reshelled. JH Audio does not reshell its CIEM or Universals; they will only adjust the fit for CIEMs, but to the buyer's ears. It will not change the shape to fit a third-party buyer.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,719 of 2,420
"At the moment, my best compromise with the Laylas is my iPhone and AudioQuest DFR connected via CCK. The Apple native DAC/amp makes the Layla sound dark and muddy to my ears."

Just a note regarding muddy dark bass with the Laylas and the iPhone.  I'm using an iPhone 7+ with the DFR and custom Laylas.  I love the set with the CV5, but you are right, it's a nice idea, but stacking is not so pretty for portable use.  The DFR helped with the Laylas before I had the CV5, but, at least to my ears, adding in the Moon Audio Silver Dragon V2 Cable with base pod has cleaned up the bass remarkably even without the CV5.  I now have the base pod at 3 o'clock even without the DFR.  Without the Moon Cables, I never dialed the base past 11 o'clock. Sound stage has widened also.  Moon Audio SD V2 cable, again to my ears, is a remarkable item and worthy investment.  And truly, I held off on this purchase for a long time.  The idea that cables would make any difference just sounded silly to me, but unless I'm in fantasy land, I really note a marked difference.  I'm a classical symphony, piano, jazz trio, chamber music guy, so I don't know about what the pop and rock school would think of this.
Luke

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #1,720 of 2,420
The other thing that kind of annoys me is that the Silver Dragon V2 cables aren't standard on the Laylas.  At this price level, adding in a bit for better cables makes sense to me.  Someone who'll spend 2 or 3 thousand for IEMs isn't going to shriek over a couple hundred more for a cleaner sounding cable.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #1,721 of 2,420
I swapped out my Moon Black Dragon v2 cable for the Silver Dragon v2 (balanced 2.5 for both) on my JH Angie/AK 120ll and it made an appreciable difference in sound- much more detail, more clear bass, better upper end.  I can run it with the bass pots all the way up and the detail and mids/treble aren't swamped while the bass is solid but not mushy.  It's somewhat pricey ($350) but it gives me much more happiness than the Black (which I found much better than the stock Angie cable).  I don't know how that would translate with a Layla, but I can attest that it's a quality cable.  

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,722 of 2,420
  Reshell a CIEM Layla. I am looking to sell my CIEM Laylas, but before I put them up for sale I'd like to be certain that a buyer would be able to get them reshelled. JH Audio does not reshell its CIEM or Universals; they will only adjust the fit for CIEMs, but to the buyer's ears. It will not change the shape to fit a third-party buyer.

Interesting to know that 3rd party won't do reshelling for Layla CIEM. I think most will do for Roxanne though. Perhaps reshelling will affect the sound tuning?

Selling for upgrading?

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,723 of 2,420
Nope, just selling because I'd rather have the cash. I'm surprised the issue of reshelling CIEM Laylas hasn't come up often here; are people just not selling their Laylas? I've seen some old listings on here for CIEM Laylas, but no mention of whether they are even reshellablle.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #1,724 of 2,420
  Nope, just selling because I'd rather have the cash. I'm surprised the issue of reshelling CIEM Laylas hasn't come up often here; are people just not selling their Laylas? I've seen some old listings on here for CIEM Laylas, but no mention of whether they are even reshellablle.

Sold my JH16pro CIEM once and kind of regretted selling as it was a pain going through the ear impression creation, and the long waiting time for the actual CIEM to be produced.

It is also extremely tough to sell a CIEM to another buyer for the hassle of reshelling (cost, risk of wire breaking, tuning, etc.). The cash value is not high too with so many different brands nowadays doing CIEM, and thus many potential buyers will be eyeing on a brand new set at a lower price.

Going through the search for perfect eartips again now with my Layla 2 universal IEM - will have less of a hassle if it is a CIEM, but won't want to go through the whole long process of making a CIEM.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,725 of 2,420

Sold my JH16pro CIEM once and kind of regretted selling as it was a pain going through the ear impression creation, and the long waiting time for the actual CIEM to be produced.

It is also extremely tough to sell a CIEM to another buyer for the hassle of reshelling (cost, risk of wire breaking, tuning, etc.). The cash value is not high too with so many different brands nowadays doing CIEM, and thus many potential buyers will be eyeing on a brand new set at a lower price.

Going through the search for perfect eartips again now with my Layla 2 universal IEM - will have less of a hassle if it is a CIEM, but won't want to go through the whole long process of making a CIEM.

I'm surprised you find it that long? I literally had my impressions done, and the Laylas in my hands in < 10 days.

I believe JH Audio will completely re-shell Laylas, as I had inquired about it, and IIRC it was $250 an ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back