JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,486 of 2,420
It depends on your skills (for properly eqing them, don't ask me why, all headphones need that if you want to do serious audio work on them) and listening abilities (or so to speak, learning them afterwards, especially for judging the mid frequencies information and dynamics).

My eq'd Laylas give me much more detail than any of my speakers. I find myself relying on them more and more lately for making final (and critical) judgements and adjustments. I imagine they can beat the #### out of those A7s.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #1,487 of 2,420
Quote:
  It depends on your skills (for properly eqing them, don't ask me why, all headphones need that if you want to do serious audio work on them) and listening abilities (or so to speak, learning them afterwards, especially for judging the mid frequencies information and dynamics).

My eq'd Laylas give me much more detail than any of my speakers. I find myself relying on them more and more lately for making final (and critical) judgements and adjustments. I imagine they can beat the #### out of those A7s.

Would you mind sharing your EQ settings?

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #1,489 of 2,420
Enjoying my layla for few days, love the bass detail & smoothness!! 

the 3.5mm cable is not the same as roxanne, its made by moon audio right?
just sent to earphone shop to revise a 2.5mm trrs plug.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,490 of 2,420
Enjoying my layla for few days, love the bass detail & smoothness!! 

the 3.5mm cable is not the same as roxanne, its made by moon audio right?

just sent to earphone shop to revise a 2.5mm trrs plug.

Hey what source are you using for your Layla?

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #1,491 of 2,420

Wow that's pretty cool... shows you the hardware underneath is high quality...

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,494 of 2,420

Indeed it is. That's why for me is so frustrating they are so oddly tuned. I hope to live the day I won't need to eq my hps.

Yeah I'm still sad about your situation. I have no idea why to my ears my particular Layla sounds so neutral and even. It's not like I don't have enough experience to know what dips and peaks are in the frequency response.

I love studio reference like linear sound and my particular Layla gets close enough for me to be very happy. With the ears I think it's trickly... the shape of the canal and where the bend is and insertion depth of the IEM and the seal, tip material, reflections etc... not to mention the quality control from JH... so your Layla may in fact sound different from mine? Not sure what's going on but I wish everyone could have what I have with my Layla.

I'm not going to say they're perfectly neutral... but to me they're a personal reference... nothing sticks out or is missing... The only other headphones that sort of got close to this feeling with much less detail/transparency was the Focal Spirit Professional and HD600.. for me these two get close in terms of frequency balance but everything else the Layla is another level... and even frequency response I think the Layla gets closer to actual neutral (still not 100% there yet). Mine has the bass set at 12'o clock btw.

But yeah at least I guess everyone can agree the hardware underneath is impressive with lots of potential

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #1,495 of 2,420
Have any Layla owners also owned a UE900? Thinking about upgrading. I think I'm good with source gear- Multibit Bifrost and Asgard 2 amp. From what I've read in this thread, it seems to be a power hungry and output impedance-dependent earpiece.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,496 of 2,420
Have any Layla owners also owned a UE900? Thinking about upgrading. I think I'm good with source gear- Multibit Bifrost and Asgard 2 amp. From what I've read in this thread, it seems to be a power hungry and output impedance-dependent earpiece.

I do (1st gen) and they are totally different.  The UE900 is more in line with the Noble K10, which is better for pop, EDM, techno, and the likes.  The Layla on the other hand is much more balanced (still a little to the warm side) and do need more power (or less responsive to amping depends on how you look at it.)  Your sources are fine for the Layla, but you may need to turn up the volume a little.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,498 of 2,420
Thanks DrSheep! I'd definitely take the Layla (or Angie) over the k10 mainly because of the bass tuning on the cable and its, as you said, a fairly balanced earpiece which is also what I'm looking for.

That's true SQ wise, but the K10 is 10 times more usable and fun.  Since you are going for balanced (neutral?) SQ and cost of Layla (II?), you might just as well take a good look at the Shure KSE1500.  The down side of the KSE1500 is that it holds no punches, and will show pretty much every single flaw in your source and mastering of your music.  I know this is a Layla thread, but I do think what I am saying about the Layla is fair.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,499 of 2,420

I had one long ago... with the W4R and SE535 at the same time. The Layla would be a huge upgrade across the board IMO... you'll be skipping the IE800/K3003/W60/IE800 Tier... which is noticeably better than the UE900 tier of IEMs. And when I say noticeable I mean significantly better sounding across the board.

As for tonal balance.. the Layla has fuller mids compared to the UE900... it's not as V-shaped... with a much smoother/even/linear upper-mids/treble response. This is just from memory so please take it with a big grain of salt

Layla is a bit power hungry IMO (for an IEM at least)... definitely more so than the UE900. I kind of think it has the same power requirements as that of a small on-ear headphone instead of traditional easy to drive IEMs. I remember UE900 being easy to drive. The W4R was more stubborn as I recall... it needed more grunt/juice behind it.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #1,500 of 2,420
I use both my Layla and K10 straight out of my iPhone when I am on the go. When I am not the go, ... well I don't listen to IEMs... That pretty much makes my AK380 Cu obsolete most of the time, but it is good to know that I have that thing in my arsenal to drive my IEMs to their fullest whenever I want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back