JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #1,246 of 2,420
I also found the stock tips to be best, tried spinfits, sound about the same to me, except sticks out way more. It's true, deeper is not better, it'll just muffle the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nobody was able to tell what brand are those stock JH Audio silicone tips. Even JH don't know.. I'm really looking for the brand who makes them. Because I tried literally all silicone tips from Ortofon, Spinfit etc.. and those Layla/Angie stock are definitely with best fit and sound for my ears. This apply to other IEMs as well in my inventory.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,247 of 2,420
I appreciate all the info and help but I think my ears may not be made for traditional IEMs.  After a couple more hours of trying all the stock tips, I can't seems to get a sonic character that is pleasing to me.

I originally purchased these and HE1K's.  My expectation was that the Layla's would be for work and the HE1Ks would be my primary headphones at home.  Unfortunately, I think the Layla's may be going up for sale and the HE1Ks will keep me happy at work...  

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,248 of 2,420

Nobody was able to tell what brand are those stock JH Audio silicone tips. Even JH don't know..

LOL!

Try these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GCSFUIQ?keywords=earphones%20plus&qid=1451505298&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

To me they are very close to the stock ones, maybe they are the same thing. They are cheap, so you don't risk much.

However, to me the best are Shure olives, but they involve a bit of work, you have to cut them, enlarge the bores etc. in order to fit. Took me a day or two until I did the final adjustements, but not they look the bussiness and sound better than everything else (including Spinfits, foams, Sony hybrids and the stock ones).

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #1,249 of 2,420

LOL!

Try these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GCSFUIQ?keywords=earphones%20plus&qid=1451505298&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

To me they are very close to the stock ones, maybe they are the same thing. They are cheap, so you don't risk much.

However, to me the best are Shure olives, but they involve a bit of work, you have to cut them, enlarge the bores etc. in order to fit. Took me a day or two until I did the final adjustements, but not they look the bussiness and sound better than everything else (including Spinfits, foams, Sony hybrids and the stock ones).

Haha, I did the research and ordered some from Amazon, those on your link seems to be identical to those I just received. Xcessor and DelTex looks very same, they are closest match to JH, but still different. Anyway they are not bad, they feels very similar in the ear.

L>R : JH Audio, Xcessor, DelTex®, Flare Audio, Ortofon, Spinfit

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,250 of 2,420

Nobody was able to tell what brand are those stock JH Audio silicone tips. Even JH don't know.. I'm really looking for the brand who makes them. Because I tried literally all silicone tips from Ortofon, Spinfit etc.. and those Layla/Angie stock are definitely with best fit and sound for my ears. This apply to other IEMs as well in my inventory.

Don't have the Layla, but have you tried the JVC spiral dots?  They always gave me the best fit for my iems.  Nice wide bore also.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,251 of 2,420
A peaceful New Years Eve morning at the coffee shop.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #1,253 of 2,420
Jan 3, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,254 of 2,420
I have been using the Layla for some time now but only recently came to realise that its full potential is revealed only when using the Comply foam tips with filter. I forgot the model number but it was the one with a net thing in the hole. I have tried different (totl) DAPs and/or headphone amps with the Layla but I just could not justify it costing more than my SE846 and my Kaiser 10 custom. With the tips mentioned above, it is a totally different story. Do try the Comply tips with filter, it is a game changer for the Layla.

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #1,255 of 2,420
More precisely - use the Comply tips, plug it straight into an iPhone 6S+, turn the volume to 10 or 11 dots, play some wav or Tidal lossless stuff, you'll be immediately in audio Nirvana. An AK380 or a Hugo doesn't get you a tenth of the improvement of using the Comply tips.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,256 of 2,420
More precisely - use the Comply tips, plug it straight into an iPhone 6S+, turn the volume to 10 or 11 dots, play some wav or Tidal lossless stuff, you'll be immediately in audio Nirvana. An AK380 or a Hugo doesn't get you a tenth of the improvement of using the Comply tips.

Yes, found the same results back in june, when I was using my universals, before the customs arrived:)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746964/jh-audio-layla-and-angie-head-fi-tv/600#post_11295880

The most balanced sound (to my ears) was achieved by modded Comply Tx500 wax-protected tips.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #1,257 of 2,420
I have been using the Layla for some time now but only recently came to realise that its full potential is revealed only when using the Comply foam tips with filter. I forgot the model number but it was the one with a net thing in the hole. I have tried different (totl) DAPs and/or headphone amps with the Layla but I just could not justify it costing more than my SE846 and my Kaiser 10 custom. With the tips mentioned above, it is a totally different story. Do try the Comply tips with filter, it is a game changer for the Layla.

Absolutely the same here, i used spinfits and the stock-tips but only the comply tsx -500 can produce the full, bodied sound. You can feel the bass ... 

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,258 of 2,420
Layla + Mojo and Pure II + is unbelievably good. The Moon Black Dragon cable is really nice as well, like it much better than the stock JH cables. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,259 of 2,420
Anyone can guess if JHA will ever offer the Flagship Layla CIEM with some sort of promo. Like a special one day a year 15% off or something?

The price is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,260 of 2,420
  Anyone can guess if JHA will ever offer the Flagship Layla CIEM with some sort of promo. Like a special one day a year 15% off or something?

The price is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger.

Maybe a few years from now? I don't see this happening right away as the Layla is new and also kinda popular

On a side note, the Layla is surprising marvelous with the AK JR, man this little guy can sing!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back