JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,231 of 2,420
  These things are fu****g UN-GODLY!

I haven't been this sorry for the huddled masses out there listening to sounds pushed through molasses, since I first got into hi-fi two years ago and heard the Wolfson DAC. I can only attribute the restraint in this thread to the steady climb to top y'all must have had, tempering enthusiasm with scepticism at every step. Because let me tell you - coming straight from the Shure 535s and a fake pair of Sennheiser IE800s, the Layas are ELATION. No, let me rephrase that - SEROTONERGIC. I've done my fair share of class A drugs and these are right up there. Right. Up. There.

The soundstage is on another level to everything I've heard. These really are in-ear hd800s, but without the Senns' unnatural treble. They are smooth, full-bodied, natural, expansive, glorious, holographic and lightning fast.

And that's coming from a fiio x3 and a Cayin c5 (which is a marvellous amp, mind you, despite it's price point). I shudder to thing what they will sound like from a Chord Mojo.

Also, another drug-related moment of reference comes to mind. I get this sneaky expression, I look around, gauging the room-full of people here: "So this is what you guys have been up to?! And what everyone else has been missing..."

The communist messianic in me needs to ask: how do we get this in everyone's ears? Because we humans got everyone driving stupid cars that cost just as much, if not more - way more - yet make you fat, make you kill people, make you kill your own family, ruined the fu****g planet, plastered every corner of the Earth with black tar asphalt and by now cars also look like tampons. I mean how impossible is it to get a real pair of headphones in every home? I mean, a truly good pair, one that pushes sounds worthy of the label "music". Because music is another thing entirely, when it's presented as it's meant to. And this is not something I've picked up from audiophile wank-speak, I remember exactly what this "meaning to" was. From my time as a recording artist. The disappointment I felt when I came home and listened to the master on my kitchen radio - where'd the emotion go?

Well here it is again! I am reminded of a great many things we tend to forget about music as we get older, as our hearing fades and cynicism grows, but firstly I'm reminded of the enormous amount of emotion musicians put into producing the sounds we hear. The sheer emotion in fidelity in sound reproduction is, I think, truly something that makes life bearable.

Amen. :)

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,232 of 2,420
Hello prismstorm,

I wonder how's ur replaced Layla. Still noticing that crackling?

Regards,
J.

Hi J.,

They still haven't gotten back to me yet, I don't even know whether they will replace my pair. They did call me to sell me the LCD-4 though (since I tried it for a bit when I brought the Layla in for replacement). Evil in its purest form. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #1,233 of 2,420
  How does the soundstage and detail of Layla compare to other top of the line CIEMs?

I'm looking to get my first pair of high-end headphones and was looking at CIEMs because I really want the sound isolation and comfort. Detail and soundstage are important to me.

I play drum set (but I don't perform, at least not yet, but I'd still use them while playing drum set) and my favorite genres of music for listening are progressive metal and house/EDM. The headphones would primarily be used for listening to music as opposed to performing music.

I'm not really a bass head, but wouldn't mind a lot of bass as long as it's comfortable and doesn't interfere with the rest of the music. My experience with average headphones is that really bassy means muddy or distracting.

I currently use circumaural open headphones, Audio Technica ATH-AD700. So I don't have experience with high-end gear but I'd rather get top-of-the line instead of slowly upgrading and spending lots of money over the years. Just get it done right first.

So would you guys recommend the Layla or based on what I said is there another CIEM you could recommend?

Based on what you've mentioned above I'd get the Layla. I run them off a Sony ZX2 at work and I'm frankly in love. My main rig at home is an Synology DS412 > Totaldac Ethernet Cable > Aurender X100L > Totaldac USB > MSB Analog DAC + Analog Power Base > Cardas Clear RCA's > Violectric V281 > Abyss/HE1K and the Layla + ZX2 is within touching distance to that rig. It's insane. I listen to a ton of electronica: Techno/Tech House, Progressive House, Trip Hop, Ambient as well as a whole heap of Jazz. The technical strengths of a high end setup are just as important to me as the musicality it's able to impart and the Layla does so in spades. There's gorgeous tonality through out the audible range, everything has just the right amount of extension to keep things relevant without being fatiguing and there's air around instruments: bass doesn't bleed into mids, highs aren't grainy and extend to the heavens.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #1,234 of 2,420
I might buy a few headphones or IEM's for X-mas but certain headphones are not in stock and possibly have to buy without hearing them first. So I have a few questions about the JH Layla. 

How does the $3000 Layla compare against $3000 headphones like the HE-1000? (I might buy the HE-1000, not sure yet) 
Does the JH Layla make me look like Frankenstein with those big bolts in my ears?
How much difference better is it than the Shure SE846 and how much better is it than the JH Angie?
Is the build quality and comfort very good?

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,235 of 2,420
  I might buy a few headphones or IEM's for X-mas but certain headphones are not in stock and possibly have to buy without hearing them first. So I have a few questions about the JH Layla. 

How does the $3000 Layla compare against $3000 headphones like the HE-1000? (I might buy the HE-1000, not sure yet) 
Does the JH Layla make me look like Frankenstein with those big bolts in my ears?
How much difference better is it than the Shure SE846 and how much better is it than the JH Angie?
Is the build quality and comfort very good?

The Laylas are huge. I've owned the JH-16 (as part of the JH3a), and the Shure 535s, and these are way way bigger. They do not, at least for me, sit flush against my ear - if you listen to music, laying on your side, I don't think you will be able to pull it off with these IEMs. Judging solely from pictures, it looks like the customs sit a little more flush against the ear than universals so you may want to verify that, and weigh the trade-offs of better resale value for potentially better comfort and smaller profile.

I do have the customs, and mine have a minor fit issue which needs remedied, but the sound is incredible. I will say though that I didn't fully appreciate what the Laylas could do until paired with the Hugo. I've listened to them out of a number of sources, including the AK-240, and while they sound incredible, that game-changing 'wow' factor doesn't kick in until paired with the Hugo. 

Build quality - this one is tough - when you compare JH to Noble, it is clear that Noble definitely is capable of creating much more aesthetically pleasing IEMS (at potentially higher cost). At the end of the day, I guess I cared more about sound than looks, so as long as my head-gear isn't at risk of falling apart in a few years, I'm okay with sacrificing looks for enduring quality. 

I have a pair of JH-5s which I use just about every day, when I can't bring all of my gear with me, or when working out, and they have been rock solid - I have high hopes for the Laylas as well...

If you are seriously considering the Laylas, look into their loyalty program - may be able to save a few shekels...

Also, for the short time I owned the Shures, I hated the fit of the universals. I tried comply foam tips, etc. but they were just super uncomfortable for long listening sessions, and you had to replace them after a few weeks. Just something to consider if you go the Shure route.

HTH!

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,236 of 2,420
I have a question about the universal fit (A&K) Laylas.  Has anyone had a terrible experience with the stock tips and revelatory experience with a different style tip?  Please let me know what tips are working the best for everyone.  Thanks in advance.

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,237 of 2,420
  I have a question about the universal fit (A&K) Laylas.  Has anyone had a terrible experience with the stock tips and revelatory experience with a different style tip?  Please let me know what tips are working the best for everyone.  Thanks in advance.

I travel frequently so I use Comply T-500.

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,238 of 2,420
Thanks.  Can you say it was a 'drastic' change from stock tips for you or just a move for comfort?  I'm having a hard time getting good sound out of them.  I don't doubt they are awesome monitors, I think it's more likely my ears.  That said, if it was drastic - like night and day - I'd be up for trying them.  Thoughts?

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,239 of 2,420
Most of the tips I've tried have their pros and cons. T-500 Comply aren't bad but can muffle the highs a bit. Spin Fits are really good sound wise but make the Layla stick out a bit more than it already does which can lead to a lot of adjusting. The best I've used are Westone Star tips (they do fit it just takes some effort to get them all the way on and flush with the nozzle) and most recently the Spiral Dot tips. So far I like the Spiral Dot the best, great sound due to the wide bore and good fit/seal. 

You just have to try different ones until you find one that works. 

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,241 of 2,420
Thanks.  Can you say it was a 'drastic' change from stock tips for you or just a move for comfort?  I'm having a hard time getting good sound out of them.  I don't doubt they are awesome monitors, I think it's more likely my ears.  That said, if it was drastic - like night and day - I'd be up for trying them.  Thoughts?

The stock silicone tips get a lot softer with use and that ends up creating a nicer seal. I massaged them between my fingers a lot to get them really squishy and soft. I was singing the prasises of the SpinFit but in the end the broken-in stock tips are better for me personally.

Also it takes time to learn to place the Layla at the right depth in your ear. Deeper the better is not true. For me a sort of shallow medium insertion depth creates the best seal. You can check the seal by tapping lightly on the Layla with your finger. It should have a tight drum like ringing. Like a drum skin stretch across tightly and creating a light hum with each tap.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #1,244 of 2,420
I also found the stock tips to be best, tried spinfits, sound about the same to me, except sticks out way more. It's true, deeper is not better, it'll just muffle the sound. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back