Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Sep 30, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #781 of 1,253
I have the older universal Roxanne’s and they are at the limit of what I can put in my ear. I had JH customs before when i had the short lived Jh Audio JH-3a (look it up). I bit the bullet and ordered the custom Jolene’s. I just sent in my impressions after 2 failed attempts :rolling_eyes: . Amber from JH Audio was generous in working with my audiologist to figure out why the outer helix wasn‘t being formed properly. It ended up being he wasn’t using enough material with enough continued pressure to fill in parts of the outer ear smoothly. Anywhooo, they are mailed and now I just have to wait. After reading how much went into the Odin’s tuning, I have high hopes for the Jolene. I like Jerry’s ear for tuning and with the new components inside, I think these I.E.M’s are going to crush it. I hope it puts him back in the conversation for endgame units being produced that are kept by members of the community and revered.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #782 of 1,253
not sure this is the right thread to ask about JH Audio. anyway, which JH Audio model got the warmest/lushest most intimate HQ Female Vocals/Upper mids?

i was reading a lot and i was about to order Layla and Angie, yet there are ton of other models and i dont know which will serve my needs the best. thanks in advance :3

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #783 of 1,253
I love the JH audio house sound, I have the Layla, Lola and Roxanne and l am waiting for a universal Jolene to be released to try it myself. When the Jolene was announced I had the impression that Jolene is going to be made in both the custom and universal form but until now no news on the universal version. Hopefully they are still planning on releasing it in the universal form
I asked JH people in person about this: if you want a Lola or Jolene in the Aion form factor, just email them. They will make one for you.

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #784 of 1,253
I do like JH house sounding as well. Not to mention their design capabilities. Still have the Jolene on my list here, but I would like to try it first. Since I already have 3 customs, the next one needs to complement the others.

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #785 of 1,253
I do like JH house sounding as well. Not to mention their design capabilities. Still have the Jolene on my list here, but I would like to try it first. Since I already have 3 customs, the next one needs to complement the others.
Heard the Jolene at Canjam SoCal. It was my biggest let-down of the show. I'm a fan of JH house sound as well, but Jolene is just not it. It has a 1khz bump which makes the midrange sound honky. I thought something was wrong with the demo unit, so I double checked with the exhibitor, and they confirmed that it was what it was. I have to put it down after less than a minute. It's that odd. Worst JH product I've heard, by far.

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #786 of 1,253
Just checked Crinacle's graph, and yep, that's exactly what I heard. Every other JH ever: A nice, warm, downward-sloping midrange; Jolene: honky 1khz. I don't know what's going on with this product. Maybe the customs are different.

graph (13).png

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #787 of 1,253
Angie would be the one to vocals then.

But everyone saying the Jolene shouldn’t be less than full bass dial. That one of the draw backs there is not being able to go further. The graph gives an idea of that. But I would do the graph matching at 1-2k instead of 200hz. They look “unfamiliar” looking this way.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #788 of 1,253
Angie would be the one to vocals then.

But everyone saying the Jolene shouldn’t be less than full bass dial. That one of the draw backs there is not being able to go further. The graph gives an idea of that. But I would do the graph matching at 1-2k instead of 200hz. They look “unfamiliar” looking this way.
I didn't try it at full bass or half bass. I set the bass at a level that is adequate compared to the rest of the mix, because every JH model's bass dial is different. And my impression is from listening at that bass level. I remember it being at about 3 o'clock.

The point is the same however you normalize the plot. There is significantly less lower mids and significantly less upper mids compared to other JH models. All it got is the 1khz honkiness. This is Jolene with max bass btw.
graph (14).png

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #789 of 1,253
Just checked Crinacle's graph, and yep, that's exactly what I heard. Every other JH ever: A nice, warm, downward-sloping midrange; Jolene: honky 1khz. I don't know what's going on with this product. Maybe the customs are different.

graph (13).png
When I got the Jolene ciems they sounded terrible but now they have the best sound I have ever heard. Biggest burn in change I have ever heard and I dont really believe in burn in atleast not before.

But the Roxannes never sounded good to me. Extreme lack of upper mids/highs.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #790 of 1,253
When I got the Jolene ciems they sounded terrible but now they have the best sound I have ever heard. Biggest burn in change I have ever heard and I dont really believe in burn in atleast not before.
Interesting. I for one have always believed in burn-in. Perhaps the demo unit I heard (a unit belong to the Orlando JH HQ) and the unit graphed here weren't fully burned in then. I might go try it again at the Hollywood office.

Depends on which models of Roxanne tbh. The new Aion Roxanne is actually about as bright as the Layla. The old 2013 Roxanne was extremely dark.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #791 of 1,253

Fully agree with Metalboyy,

When I first got my Jolene’s, there was an odd mid to high transition, some sibilance in the highs, and mid bass was a little muddy. Was concerned and maybe even a little disappointed but….
Put them through burn in and did not listen to them again till there was about 120 hours burn in, and heard a drastic change (with no chance of brain burn in since I was listening again new).
The transition from the 4.9 mm low mids Dynamic Drivers to the first set of high mids quad BA’s was smoother and if the scope/ graphs show a bump/hump I don’t hear it/no longer notice it.
The mid bass tightened up and is now clear and precise. The sub bass on the 9.2mm drivers also came into their own with a nice presence and low rumble that was not there on my initial listening. No sibilance in the highs now, and across the board just a really pleasant IEM to listen too.
The More time I put on them the better they sound.
Adding an Cayin C9 amp to the mix, using Class A with Tube Timbre settings, they are probably the most analog / speaker comparable sound I’ve had to date.
Quite a bit of difference from my CIEM Roxanne’s

An important thing I noticed and want to pass on that is different, is the effect the bass module has on the Jolene’s, that could negatively impact your audition time.
If you have owned JH Audio IEM’s before and go to audition the Jolene’s, you almost need to forget your previous favorite settings on the bass adjuster and audition from scratch as moving the bass adjuster on the Jolene has quite a different effect than any other JH Audio IEM.
They definitely have a different sound signature than the typical JH Audio house sound for the positive IMO.

For Roxanne’s and Laylas I’ve used, the bass adjusters I run at around 2 to 3 at max (if you think of Clock dial for reference). Beyond this the lows start really doing odd things to the overall sound signature on these model IEMs.
With the Jolene’s the lows seem to go flat to non existent at anything less than 3 on the dial.
They really sound best between 4 and max (5) on the dial.
Could this be the difference for others who tried them coming from another JH Audio product and did not like them? Don’t know just wanted to mention.

Final thought, cable changes have an even more positive effect than any other JH Audio IEM I’ve had or auditioned, and more in line with cable change differences I’ve heard on 64 Audio or EE Audio IEMs in my experience, but as with anything in this hobby YMMV.

Hope my info helps.

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #792 of 1,253
What's a good cable for Jolene then? Very few companies have the 7-pin connector, last I checked only Beat Audio has 'em.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #793 of 1,253
What's a good cable for Jolene then? Very few companies have the 7-pin connector, last I checked only Beat Audio has 'em.
Cross Lambda Audio are another one, and I believe Eletech can make them as a special order. Reterminating mine to 4.4mm was as far as I got. :D

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #794 of 1,253
I have a 6w (4w Plato 2w Socrates from Eletech) - since I sold my Jolene I'd be happy to sell that to you at a discount :)

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #795 of 1,253
Ezekiel77

Beat Audio has shown pictures of JH 7in cables and I think I saw someone on Head-fi say they ordered and received
MvvRaz above showed pictures of a custom cable Eletech 7Pin cable made for him, and it looked very nice.
PlusSound Audio has announced they will be making a JH Audio 7 pin cable with bass adjusters, on ANY of the cable choices they offer and its a choice on their order system today , but do not know if they have shipped yet. Would suggest reaching out to them if interested.
I've read several other cable makers state they will be making JH Audio 7Pin cables but nothing firm that I know of.

I had my Jolene's made with the older 4pin Connector so I could cable roll/change since even on the 7Pin connector "today" JH Audio is only using 4 of the Pins.
Email JH Audio and they will honor your request to do this, if this is the way you want to go.
I traded away the nicer look/better waterproof/quick connect, for ability to get cables immediately, and how I was able to try different cables and was able to report the differences I heard in an earlier post on this thread. While the standard SPC Litz cable sounds good, changing does allow "fine tuning" and does make a difference

Hope this information helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back