Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #736 of 1,253
Mashuto, thanks for catching me getting ahead of myself. I'll leave it up to the guys in Orlando to figure what is best. As far as the future timeline goes, I understand a retouch is very quick, but if I was to end up needing a refit, would I end up waiting the same time as the build or is the process expedited? If I remember correctly, you had some back and forth with yours; did you end up getting a refit? If so, what was the timing with that?
I did end up getting a refit. Though I don't know if there's a specific difference between what you are referring to as a refit or a retouch. I think they refer to a refit as just touching up the fit, not building whole new shells. But I could be wrong.

The process for me was that I reached out to JH and explained what I was feeling and let them sort of guide me towards what they thought needed to be tweaked. Though in your case it's pretty obvious, but they will likely be able to tell you in more detail if they think simply trimming down the ends will cause other problems or not.

For mine, I had them add a little material to one spot and trim some from another spot just a bit. From when they received them back it was maybe 3 or 4 days. So total time with shipping on both ends was I think just over a week.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #737 of 1,253
Hey guys!

After spending the night with my Jolene's, it would appear as though my original fear has made itself a reality. From initial insertion of them, I felt a sharp pain inside both canals right at the first bend of my ear canals, where the tips are poking. For those who hadn't read my issues with getting impressions, I have a narrow and sharp bend inside my canals that the canal tip of an IEM cannot get through; if it pokes against it, it causes me a sharp pain.

Long story short, I got the OK from an ENT doctor but didn't get the shallow impressions I initially intended. The result is that the tips of the canals of the Jolenes hit this sensitive bend in my ear stopping them from being properly seated in my ear and getting a complete seal. Without the proper vacuum-like seal, I wasn't able to get the sound quality of the Jolene's full potential, which I know and love, thanks to my demoing of the universals. With the lack of the seal, I was victim to at times ear-splitting treble and an overall hollow and muffled sound on my favorite tracks. It sounded very bright because of the lack of bass from no seal and the sound stage was not what it was on the universal.

However, I couldn't be more happy in general with them and I am more motivated than ever to find a solution to this problem! ...which brings me to a refit. I am now on the fence on whether a simple shaving of the ear canals' lengths at Orlando would allow me to fully insert for a complete seal, or if I will need to have a fresh set of impressions taken specifically with shallow canals; I do know that they can be too shallow, leading to issues with a full seal and therefore bass, not to mention these mammoths falling out! It seems like not too much really needs to be taken off in order for me to insert them completely for that suction-like seal, but I would love for you guys to let me know what you think!

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I was in a rush this morning and didn't have time for my DSLR. But here they are as promised! 😁
Sorry to hear about your fit challenges.

As for the IEMs, seeing the internals is awesome and a testament to the technology in them.

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #738 of 1,253
Sad about the fit guys. But I hope it will end up good! Customs were the best thing Since MiniDisc for me :)

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #739 of 1,253
Happily using my JH13v1s since 2009. In the event I would like to use the FiiO UTWS3 with the universal Jolene, would it be possible? The FiiO only comes with 2 pin or MMCX connectors.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #740 of 1,253
Happily using my JH13v1s since 2009. In the event I would like to use the FiiO UTWS3 with the universal Jolene, would it be possible? The FiiO only comes with 2 pin or MMCX connectors.
It’s very unlikely. The universal should come with the new 7-pin connector, and there aren’t any adapters that turn those into 2-pin or MMCX at the moment.

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #741 of 1,253
Just realized Crinacle gave Jolene a “D” in tonality. Anyone knows further details about his judgement or contrary opinions?

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #742 of 1,253
Just realized Crinacle gave Jolene a “D” in tonality. Anyone knows further details about his judgement or contrary opinions?

I respect him a lot. But not always agree with his ratings. Not saying this is the case as well. :)

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #743 of 1,253

I respect him a lot. But not always agree with his ratings. Not saying this is the case as well. :)

D ? This guy is crazy lol why so low 😮😮😮 maybe he didnt had a seal or burned them in? 🤔

I personally never referred for hes iem ratings lol just quick snaps on the graphes rather

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #744 of 1,253
D ? This guy is crazy lol why so low 😮😮😮 maybe he didnt had a seal or burned them in? 🤔

I personally never referred for hes iem ratings lol just quick snaps on the graphes rather
We all hear different and we all have our perception of how something should sound. In every single review and comment I try to understand what is behind the comments, like what the person likes, previous reviews, gear that I know… just to try to correlate to what I hear. (I have a bad right ear BtW :) )

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #746 of 1,253
Finally the final design? curious to see how it will look like. :)

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #748 of 1,253
We all hear different and we all have our perception of how something should sound. In every single review and comment I try to understand what is behind the comments, like what the person likes, previous reviews, gear that I know… just to try to correlate to what I hear. (I have a bad right ear BtW :) )
Exactly, which why I smile at so called objectivists who tend to sound like they own the truth and revere graphs alone... (not refering to Crinacle there, but some of the "adept followers", probably too young and think in absolutes... )

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #749 of 1,253
I come from taiwan In accordance with the original design I hope to have this version
Although i have ordered
And ready to send my eardrums
1A2263E9-8584-40EC-83D0-8C5F1D96027B.jpeg0B1CDE66-2C12-42BA-9BFD-14ED75A7EBA4.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back