Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #571 of 1,253
I have used these for a couple of hours now. The fit is perfect but to me they sound very muddy for some reason. Drums and orchestra sounds weird but I will try some others sources and I have some cable issues.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #572 of 1,253
I have used these for a couple of hours now. The fit is perfect but to me they sound very muddy for some reason. Drums and orchestra sounds weird but I will try some others sources and I have some cable issues.
Muddy is absolutely not how I would have described the sound from my time with the demo. If you were already having other issues with the connection dropping out it sounds like you need to get them fixed.

Hopefully these few reports of issues are just a couple one off issues and not indicative of some bigger production issues. Giving me even more to be anxious about for when I get my pair (hopefully this week).

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #573 of 1,253
These issues a kind of a put-off honestly :-\
I'll wait a bit...

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #574 of 1,253
I'm not here to hype nor to provoke, just providing another data point.

My Jolenes arrived yesterday and I was obviously excited. The build quality and construction are exceptional. Words don't do them justice. The shells and faceplates have a mesmerising, out-of-this-world beauty. And the 7-pin connectors, you know why they went for it because it locks in so so well compared to 2-pin and MMCX I wish more companies adopted it. The cable is surprisingly well-built and robust, and I could picture using this for awhile until more manufacturers made 7-pin with the bass dials.

Now onto the sound. You could hear the dynamic drivers make an immediate impact. Bass has rumble and physicality, with a speaker-like quality. The mids instrument timbre is organic, superbly natural, while vocal rendition is lifelike. Treble is well-extended, with no harsh peaks to speak of. Soundstage... Well I'll get to that someday.

The creaks started showing while listening in the office. Something was off because the bass hit much much harder in the right side. This is apparent in sub-bass heavy tracks, but upper bass, mids and treble are unaffected, so 80% of my music didn't detect them. At first I thought it was a fit or seal issue because the earpieces are massive, and my ears might need some time to adjust to the fit and sound. But after some quiet time at home and poking around with them... Yeah I had to send them back for warranty repairs.

After putting in Why So Serious to test the subbass section specifically, it was confirmed. Left side had no bass, no matter what position the dials were in. They did not react to increasing or decreasing the bass dial. They were just missing. Right side was doing all the work, the pumping and slamming. It wasn't a seal issue either, because both sides isolated sound equally. So yeah I has a big sad now because I had to return them to see whether it's a bass driver or cable issue. So it's now on a plane back to Orlando.

Up to this point though, JH provided excellent before and after sales service. AJ is prompt with replies and very polite, and when I told him about the sound problem he roped in Jordan into the email. So I do have faith that this will be resolved in due time, but bummed that I went from "THIS IS AWESOME" to "whyyyyyyyy" in a few hours.

In my experience with CIEMs these kinda things do happen. Can't really say I blame anyone. All I gotta do is wait. I do have a photo to share though so here are my Jolenes. Peace everyone.

20210427_193339.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #575 of 1,253

My Jolenes arrived yesterday and I was obviously excited. The build quality and construction are exceptional. Words don't do them justice. The shells and faceplates have a mesmerising, out-of-this-world beauty. And the 7-pin connectors, you know why they went for it because it locks in so so well compared to 2-pin and MMCX I wish more companies adopted it. The cable is surprisingly well-built and robust, and I could picture using this for awhile until more manufacturers made 7-pin with the bass dials.

Now onto the sound. You could hear the dynamic drivers make an immediate impact. Bass has rumble and physicality, with a speaker-like quality. The mids instrument timbre is organic, superbly natural, while vocal rendition is lifelike. Treble is well-extended, with no harsh peaks to speak of. Soundstage... Well I'll get to that.

The creaks started showing while listening in the office. Something was off because the bass hit much much harder in the right side. This is apparent in sub-bass heavy tracks, but upper bass, mids and treble are unaffected, so 80% of my music didn't detect them. At first I thought it was a fit or seal issue because the earpieces are massive, and my ears might need some time to adjust to the fit and sound. But after some quiet time at home and poking around with them... Yeah I had to send them back for warranty repairs.

After putting in Why So Serious to test the subbass section specifically, it was confirmed. Left side had no bass. No wonder what position the dials were in. They did not react to increase or decrease. They were just missing. Right side was doing all the work, the pumping and slamming. It wasn't a seal issue either, because both sides isolated sound equally. So yeah I has a big sad now because I had to return them to see whether it's a bass driver or cable issue. So it's now on a plane back to Orlando.

Up to this point though, JH provided excellent before and after sales service. AJ is prompt with replies and very polite, and when I told him about the sound problem he roped in Jordan into the email. So I do have faith that this will be resolved in due time, but bummed that I went from "THIS IS AWESOME" to "whyyyyyyyy" in a few hours.

In my experience with CIEMs these kinda things do happen. Can't really say I blame anyone. All I gotta do is wait. I do have a photo to share though so here are my Jolenes. Peace everyone.

I also seem to have some channel imbalance. Voices and drums seems to be louder on the right side. Seems like maybe a bad batch.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #576 of 1,253

Now onto the sound. You could hear the dynamic drivers make an immediate impact. Bass has rumble and physicality, with a speaker-like quality. The mids instrument timbre is organic, superbly natural, while vocal rendition is lifelike. Treble is well-extended, with no harsh peaks to speak of. Soundstage... Well I'll get to that.

After putting in Why So Serious to test the subbass section specifically, it was confirmed. Left side had no bass. No wonder what position the dials were in. They did not react to increase or decrease. They were just missing. Right side was doing all the work, the pumping and slamming. It wasn't a seal issue either, because both sides isolated sound equally. So yeah I has a big sad now because I had to return them to see whether it's a bass driver or cable issue. So it's now on a plane back to Orlando.

20210427_193339.jpg
Sad to hear that mate, fear nothing, JH definitely had the best customer service I’ve seen. Jordan will definitely take care of it.
I hope is just a cable issue. Those look great.

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #578 of 1,253

20210427_193339.jpg
My impatience and anxiety grows! Sorry to hear about the issues. I have no doubt they will handle them promptly. Still a bummer.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #579 of 1,253
I love the material they used on the Jolene. It was like touching glass or porcelain. However, i dont think a screw driver is the best item for a bass tuning switch. Unless the demo model is different than the actual thing - the screw driver will eventually destroy the switch. All-in-all, the Jolene's are a terrific set and its unfortunate these issues are cropping up. If the 8k peak wasnt so harsh for me these may be in my rotation.

AJ is definitely awesome. I hope JH can get it all resolved.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #580 of 1,253
I love the material they used on the Jolene. It was like touching glass or porcelain. However, i dont think a screw driver is the best item for a bass tuning switch. Unless the demo model is different than the actual thing - the screw driver will eventually destroy the switch. All-in-all, the Jolene's are a terrific set and its unfortunate these issues are cropping up. If the 8k peak wasnt so harsh for me these may be in my rotation.

It's the same screwdriver on the retail units. I personally have had no issues turning my 2-year-old bass dials on their old cables. I'm sure their newer pods are even more durable. Though, I do see the appeal in, say, a rubber- or silicone-headed screwdriver that'll go easier on the dials. I don't know if that'd add extra manufacturing costs that'll eventually be passed down to the retail price of the IEMs, though.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #581 of 1,253

Yeah, the build quality is way better than my other IEMs. but don't worry about the screw driver, as soon as you find the tuning you like, you will forget about it for a good time and this system is way proven since it's being used for many years.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #583 of 1,253
The only part about the dials that I do not understand is... why do you get separate ones for L/R? While I agree that 0.1db difference is something you could never spot, I spent an obscene amount of time adjusting them to be just equal on my Roxanne lol, proper OCD stuff

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #584 of 1,253
The only part about the dials that I do not understand is... why do you get separate ones for L/R? While I agree that 0.1db difference is something you could never spot, I spent an obscene amount of time adjusting them to be just equal on my Roxanne lol, proper OCD stuff
feels more of a technical detail. maybe people with known hearing damage would like to balance it. Also would that be the same principle of the balanced cable? separating the adjustments to avoid interference... just guessing, I have no idea.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #585 of 1,253
Thumb dials would work provided the tension in the pot is sufficient as to prevent accidental adjustment.
The issue with thumb dials would be the added girth. The dials would be quite a bit bigger and heavier, on top of the accidental adjustment you mentioned.

I can think of a couple scenarios where it could be useful on stage. If you're a drummer or bassist and you have a subwoofer beside you, you can turn down the bass on one side to even it out. Conversely, you can turn up the opposite earpiece to accomplish the same goal. If you're performing and your monitor mixer doesn't have a panning function (or isn't stereo at all to begin with), you can turn down the bass on one earpiece to relegate the kick or bass to one side, so the mix doesn't become too crowded or overwhelming. As @CrocodileDundee mentioned, it's also great if you happen to have hearing loss in the low frequencies on one ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back