Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Mar 24, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #316 of 1,253
Hey, guys. 'Was just checking in on the Jolene thread, and I saw there were a couple questions I missed after I posted my first impressions. 'Sorry about that! I hope my answers now will be just as relevant. :)

Thanks Daniel for your impressions.

Could you compare the treble sparkle and timbre and PRaT of the Jolenes vis-a-vis the electrostatic monitors?
It's difficult to compare vis-a-vis when there are so many different implementations and colourations of Sonion's electrostatic tweeters. It's also hard to specifically tell what properties are because of the technology, rather than because of how they were tuned, etc. But, if I were to compare it roughly against some of my heavy-hitters like the EE ODIN, the VE ELYSIUM or the FiR M5, I'd say the Jolene easily stacks up. If I were to split hairs, maybe notes don't vanish into blackness as quickly; perhaps, microseconds slower. But, in return, I find you get more extension and air out of the Jolene. The upper-treble isn't pushed, necessarily, but you can hear notes disappear better, rather than just them exponentially fading away, if that makes sense.

But, yeah, otherwise, the Jolene's tweeters sound infinitely more like e-stats than they do any of JH's previous monitors. Again, I can't really isolate which differences are due to the tech and which are because of the tuning. But, that's certainly my best attempt. 'Hope it helps. :)

They have an important low range ..... or am I wrong?
They're important for sure. They have a crucial role to play, and they can even become a bit of the star when you turn the dials to 100%. But, it's not the dark, full, resonant sort-of bass you might expect from a JH IEM when you turn the lows up. It's always a clean, airy, sub-bass-biased bottom-end that only kicks harder the more you push it, rather than bloom. It'll have a consistently clear tone; less of a wob, and more of a wub, if that makes any semblance of sense. :D "A more open sound," is what I'm trying to say, rather than the warm, engrossing, buttery kind of bass. But, in summary, yes, they do have an important role to play, but no more important than everything else, even with the bass pod at 100%.

I am still left with my idea that a universal will sound better 😒 my bad experience with empire ears phantoms has left such huge mark on me that I cant let it go.

Just imagine the huge disappointment when you enjoyed your life with your favorite iem and you decide to go custom to realise its actually inferior sounding then your universal.
How sad does that can be, it marked me for ever.
It all depends. Sometimes, a company's universal and custom will fit similarly (or just as nicely) on someone's ears, and they'll hear similar signatures. Other times, the universal might sit differently and deliver a different sound, which the person might prefer over the custom or vice-versa. As I said on my CIEMs v. UIEMs post on 64's thread, the variables truly are infinite. JH's earliest demo universals were a bit of a mixed bag for me. I could drastically change how they sounded based on how I angled them in my ears, which - in equal measure - gave me hope of finally owning a JH custom and made me paranoid over which variation of the sound I'd get.

But, having tried their Layla AION, which - to my knowledge - all of their universals are based off of now, I can say that the AION Layla and the custom Layla sound very, very similar to my ears. I believe I remember the 8kHz glare on the AION being a tiny-bit smoothe, but that was the only difference I can detect. If the universal and custom fit similarly in your ears, then you'd probably hear something similar. Then again, if you don't get to try the universal and you order the custom instantly, you probably wouldn't know what you were potentially missing anyway. That said, if you can get a demo of the universal, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it; always.

It was Deezel177s review that made me go for the Jolene instead :) I was about to buy the mest 2 first.
Heh, gotta admit, that really influenced me too, but also price (for universal). It's just hard (*for me*) to pay basically the same for MEST-II that I would pay for uni Jolene. I'm still evaluating, but my strong lean right now is universal Jolene.
I hope they don't disappoint. :)

Pretty sure JH 7-pins is much (much), better and reliable than the 2-pins and MMCX.
Agreed. Plugging and unplugging them feels like using miniaturised XLR plugs. Just the sound of their metal parts snapping together is morbidly addicting to me. :D

Lucky you for getting a good/comfortable fit with universals I guess.
I tried a universal Layla at a store in Japan and realised it wouldn't work, at least not if I wasn't just sitting down when listening.

Customs to me feel like very big decision, not to mention the time and costs of impressions, refits, return shipping, etc.
You often have to buy blind in the UK as well, especially if it's a fairly new model.
Was it the older generation or the AION universal Layla? The AION's, while still fairly chunky, fit much, much better than those old ones did.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #317 of 1,253
Was it the older generation or the AION universal Layla? The AION's, while still fairly chunky, fit much, much better than those old ones did.
I think it was the old one. It was a few years ago. It just seemed a hell of a lot bigger than almost all of the competition. But I've not had much luck with bigger units by any brand, e.g. the StageDiver series seemed to work really for most people, but it didn't for me.

In any case, ordered Jolene and like the others said, your review helped – thank you.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #318 of 1,253
I think it was the old one. It was a few years ago. It just seemed a hell of a lot bigger than almost all of the competition. But I've not had much luck with bigger units by any brand, e.g. the StageDiver series seemed to work really for most people, but it didn't for me.

In any case, ordered Jolene and like the others said, your review helped – thank you.
Just commenting on the StageDiver, it was a big hit or miss with tips. Some tips made it incredibly confortable, to the CIEM level, but sounded awful. Others I couldn't keep it in place for 15min without a headache. Until I found the perfect one, believe it or not it was the tips from my free earbuds from my Galaxy S10e. I can keep the SD's in my ears for hours now and sounds great.

Long story short. Since I got my first CIEM, I can't deal with tips and fit hurdles anymore.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #319 of 1,253
Just ordered a custom one. Almost ordered a mest 2 also but I have to stop somewhere :)
What design did you order?

Pretty sure JH 7-pins is much (much), better and reliable than the 2-pins and MMCX.

I have the older 4-pin connection and it's definitely more solid and durable than any other connection (MMCX, 2-pin recessed) I have in my collection.

Long story short. Since I got my first CIEM, I can't deal with tips and fit hurdles anymore.

Not worrying about tips and quickly being able to insert / remove them while traveling is a big factor for me. Plus CIEMs have an additional level of ambient sound isolation above universals, another key thing for me when traveling.

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #320 of 1,253
Agree, I would take JH 7-pin over 2-pin anytime for reliability and better connectivity, more so than MMCX. 7-pin is also much improved from 4-pin. And 7-pin balanced is now also available and can be selected when ordering the Jolene.

The older Laylas in universal form were very large (Carbon Fiber Edition and Full Metal Jacket). Layla AION is smaller but still larger than most normal uni. I suspect Jolene uni will be even larger due to the larger drivers and to fit in all that freqphase tubing to get the Jolene frequency response. I hope they can make it not so big.

Plugging and unplugging them feels like using miniaturised XLR plugs. Just the sound of their metal parts snapping together is morbidly addicting to me. :D
The beauty of 7-pin connection :slight_smile:
Is the JH stock cable looks similar to the stock cable of the Layla AION? I like the Layla AION’s stock cable, so hoping it is the same cable.

Not worrying about tips and quickly being able to insert / remove them while traveling is a big factor for me. Plus CIEMs have an additional level of ambient sound isolation above universals, another key thing for me when traveling.
Seems that the Jolene does not have any visible vents, so isolation should be as good as CIEMs that don’t need venting. But I’m surprised the dynamic drivers in Jolene don’t need venting or it may still have venting but not visible?

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #321 of 1,253
Agree, I would take JH 7-pin over 2-pin anytime for reliability and better connectivity, more so than MMCX. 7-pin is also much improved from 4-pin. And 7-pin balanced is now also available and can be selected when ordering the Jolene.

The older Laylas in universal form were very large (Carbon Fiber Edition and Full Metal Jacket). Layla AION is smaller but still larger than most normal uni. I suspect Jolene uni will be even larger due to the larger drivers and to fit in all that freqphase tubing to get the Jolene frequency response. I hope they can make it not so big.

Is the JH stock cable looks similar to the stock cable of the Layla AION? I like the Layla AION’s stock cable, so hoping it is the same cable.

Seems that the Jolene does not have any visible vents, so isolation should be as good as CIEMs that don’t need venting. But I’m surprised the dynamic drivers in Jolene don’t need venting or it may still have venting but not visible?
I did get the 2.5mm and 3.5mm cables with my Layla, then sent the 3.5mm to EA to reterminate to 4.4mm, much better again.

I will get the Jolene with 3.5mm when I complete the order. Then I will be fully covered. :)

It's a shame JH didn't release the 7-pin to the Cable builders yet. Would be nice to have other options around like with the 4-pin.

I think JH 7-pin cables all uses the same wiring.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #322 of 1,253

I believe @a.w.bailey said they were able to fit it inside the Roxanne AION's shell. If so, then it shouldn't be much bigger than the Layla AION. Even if it is, it'll only be bigger width-wise. By contrast, the old ones almost ballooned outwards, which was why they were so heavy and unwieldy.

It's been ages since I auditioned the Layla AION, so I can't tell you whether or not it's the same cable. But, the ones that came with my custom Layla and Jolene certainly are some of the best-quality stock cables I've ever had; very soft, pliable and evenly-braided.

Yeah, the venting's really curious. I can't seem to find any vents on the Jolene. But, then again, I couldn't find any vents on my Lola's either. So, perhaps it's just these specific diaphragms' nature that they don't need venting to sound their best.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #323 of 1,253
I did get the 2.5mm and 3.5mm cables with my Layla, then sent the 3.5mm to EA to reterminate to 4.4mm, much better again.

I will get the Jolene with 3.5mm when I complete the order. Then I will be fully covered. :)

It's a shame JH didn't release the 7-pin to the Cable builders yet. Would be nice to have other options around like with the 4-pin.

I think JH 7-pin cables all uses the same wiring.
Certain vendors do carry the 7-pin standard. Beat Audio and Cross Lambda Audio explicitly offer it on their websites with the bass pod. Eletech has it as an off-the-menu option, but I don't know whether or not they offer the bass pod as well. Either way, the connector's definitely out there.

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #324 of 1,253
Ok guys let's try the stingy, economical route here for those who are still on the fence lol. All prices taken from JH website.

Base price of Jolene $1799
JH Crew membership (15% discount for repeat customers) -$269.85
Default Signature Design (based on price of Jupiter shells $275 per side) -$550
Balanced cable -$199 (although opting for one adds $50 to the base price so it's actually -$149)
Carbon fiber case -$250

All deductions accounted for, the Jolene IEMs are actually only $580.15. Now isn't that a steal price? :)

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #325 of 1,253
Ok guys let's try the stingy, economical route here for those who are still on the fence lol. All prices taken from JH website.

Balanced cable -$199 (although opting for one adds $50 to the base price so it's actually -$149)
Carbon fiber case -$250

All deductions accounted for, the Jolene IEMs are actually only $580.15. Now isn't that a steal price? :)
You forgot that nice CARBON FIBER CASE that they don’t normally give for mid-priced IEM -$250

So this bring it further down to actually only $330.15. :scream: :relaxed:

Edit: I got too excited and didn’t see you already accounted the case haha

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #326 of 1,253

Carbon fiber case -$250

Nice analysis!

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #327 of 1,253
I believe @a.w.bailey said they were able to fit it inside the Roxanne AION's shell. If so, then it shouldn't be much bigger than the Layla AION. Even if it is, it'll only be bigger width-wise. By contrast, the old ones almost ballooned outwards, which was why they were so heavy and unwieldy.

It's been ages since I auditioned the Layla AION, so I can't tell you whether or not it's the same cable. But, the ones that came with my custom Layla and Jolene certainly are some of the best-quality stock cables I've ever had; very soft, pliable and evenly-braided.

Yeah, the venting's really curious. I can't seem to find any vents on the Jolene. But, then again, I couldn't find any vents on my Lola's either. So, perhaps it's just these specific diaphragms' nature that they don't need venting to sound their best.
Maybe the low drivers are housed in fully sealed bass enclosure (I’m just speculating). I have not come across any IEM with fully sealed bass enclosure. Theoretically that will make bass that are tighter and more accurate. Do you find the sub bass sufficient?

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #328 of 1,253
I gave the Jolene’s another hour or two of ear time today, and I’d say my first impressions still hold up very well. If I were to split hairs and guess at any differences that could’ve come from burn-in, I feel I can hear a bit more looseness in the midrange now, so they aren’t as tight and clean as they used to be, which I personally prefer. Though, I honestly can’t confirm if it’s physical or brain burn-in. In any case, it’s a very, very minor change that I probably wouldn’t have paid any mind if it wasn’t a dynamic driver. :D

Something else I’ve learned taking the Jolene’s to work is the ideal way to put them in and take them out of your ears. Because of how big they are, they aren’t as easy to twist in or out as my other customs. So, I’ve found the best way is to open your mouth when you’re putting them in or taking them out. This expands your canals a bit. So, when you close your mouth, your ears contract and perfectly wrap around the CIEM. I’ve found the resulting fit to be perfectly comfortable, and it requires zero finagling afterwards.

Maybe the low drivers are housed in fully sealed bass enclosure (I’m just speculating). I have not come across any IEM with fully sealed bass enclosure. Theoretically that will make bass that are tighter and more accurate. Do you find the sub bass sufficient?
I can’t remember where, but I remember reading an article that said venting for DDs is actually optional. It’s mostly done as a tuning choice. So, it’s probably a choice JH have made for both the Lola and the Jolene’s signatures. I definitely find the sub-bass sufficient. It’s the mid-bass that I personally find more relaxed. Again, it doesn’t have that dark, dense-sounding bass that muddies or mucks the more you turn it up. It’s a more open, airy bass. Whether or not that’s to your taste is up to preference. I personally think it allows the bass to be taken to 100% without compromising clarity, but that may not be enough of a pro to someone who wants the more in-your-face, concentrated kind of bass. As always, YMMV.

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #329 of 1,253
I gave the Jolene’s another hour or two of ear time today, and I’d say my first impressions still hold up very well. If I were to split hairs and guess at any differences that could’ve come from burn-in, I feel I can hear a bit more looseness in the midrange now, so they aren’t as tight and clean as they used to be, which I personally prefer. Though, I honestly can’t confirm if it’s physical or brain burn-in. In any case, it’s a very, very minor change that I probably wouldn’t have paid any mind if it wasn’t a dynamic driver. :D

Something else I’ve learned taking the Jolene’s to work is the ideal way to put them in and take them out of your ears. Because of how big they are, they aren’t as easy to twist in or out as my other customs. So, I’ve found the best way is to open your mouth when you’re putting them in or taking them out. This expands your canals a bit. So, when you close your mouth, your ears contract and perfectly wrap around the CIEM. I’ve found the resulting fit to be perfectly comfortable, and it requires zero finagling afterwards.

I can’t remember where, but I remember reading an article that said venting for DDs is actually optional. It’s mostly done as a tuning choice. So, it’s probably a choice JH have made for both the Lola and the Jolene’s signatures. I definitely find the sub-bass sufficient. It’s the mid-bass that I personally find more relaxed. Again, it doesn’t have that dark, dense-sounding bass that muddies or mucks the more you turn it up. It’s a more open, airy bass. Whether or not that’s to your taste is up to preference. I personally think it allows the bass to be taken to 100% without compromising clarity, but that may not be enough of a pro to someone who wants the more in-your-face, concentrated kind of bass. As always, YMMV.
Lack of venting definitely helps with isolation. But how is the ear fatiguing?

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #330 of 1,253

Thanks. Seems like mid is loosen up a bit and perhaps is sounding a bit more analog now, which is as what JH talks about.

The type of bass you described is also my preference, which is more cleaner and tighter bass rather than darker and muddier type. I’ve also expected the shell size to be slightly larger than normal due to the larger drivers but personally I’m ok to accept a small compromise if it’s for the better sound quality.

Just waiting now for the moment I’m able to get my ears impression done, once the corona situation allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back